2014-15 ISU Figure Skating Season

The better pay and better conditions actually brought a lot of coaches back to Russia that have left for greener pastures.

And the ballet is helping everyone but the men's singles competition. The majority of dominance in the numbers is all technical points, so the jumps is what is getting them their points. Russians are horrible spinners, and even if they land their jumps, their technique is sloppy. They don't lose any points if they fully rotate and land the jump, but they definitely don't gain any extra points due to lack of cleanliness. Still, whatever gets the job done.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russians are horrible spinners,

Huh? How can you say that when spinning is a basic skill in ballet.

And.from 1994 to 2006, the Russian men won Men"s Singles in the Olympics FOUR straight in a row (5 if you count Viktor Petrenko as a Russian)!! Only Sweden and the USA had done 4 straight before: 1908-1928 for Sweden; and 1848-1960 for the US men, respectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_figure_skating#Men.27s_singles

Huh? How can you say that when spinning is a basic skill in ballet.

And.from 1994 to 2006, the Russian men won Men"s Singles in the Olympics FOUR straight in a row (5 if you count Viktor Petrenko as a Russian)!! Only Sweden and the USA had done 4 straight before: 1908-1928 for Sweden; and 1848-1960 for the US men, respectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_figure_skating#Men.27s_singles

The Russian skaters from that era mostly won because of their technical ability, NOT their artistic ability. Ilia Kulik, gold medal winner of the 1998 games, had terrible form as a spinner due to his long legs. He couldn't go far down on his sit spin like others during that time. The same thing with Yevgeny Plushenko.

And the judging has completely changed from the 10.0 scale to a system where every single element is judged individually and points are awarded for each of those elements. And certain elements, like spins and footwork, are also rated by a level of difficulty. The higher the difficulty, the more that element is worht in points. Which is why in the last Olympicz, Yuzuru Hanyu won even after he fell. He had the highest difficult in footwork as well as in spins. Same with Patrick Chan.

I miss the 6.0 system. Right now all programs looks the same and none has the artistic freedom what we used to enjoy with the likes of Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Brian Orser, Katarina Witt, Torvill and Dean, Gordeeva and Grinkov to name a few.

I miss the 6.0 system. Right now all programs looks the same and none has the artistic freedom what we used to enjoy with the likes of Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Brian Orser, Katarina Witt, Torvill and Dean, Gordeeva and Grinkov to name a few.

Korek!! They can change it by weighing "Artistry" at 51%. But then again, that makes it subjective.

I also think they should have random spots on the ice rink that it you it it or land on it with your correct weight, you get those minimum points.

Aw darn! She's the only who cold possibly have broken a sweep of the Russian twinkies. Ashley Wagner always falls apart.

They should have never sent her to Sochi she's worthless. She's not a stable enough athlete to compete internationally, just like Jeremy Abbott. I wish they had let Mirai Nagasu go instead of her she almost made the top 3 in Vancouver and even though she's had a rocky few years, she was a better chance than Ashley. Damn those Russians! lol

They should have never sent her to Sochi she's worthless. She's not a stable enough athlete to compete internationally, just like Jeremy Abbott. I wish they had let Mirai Nagasu go instead of her she almost made the top 3 in Vancouver and even though she's had a rocky few years, she was a better chance than Ashley. Damn those Russians! lol

My only hope for those Russian teenagers is that they haven't fully grown into their adult women's bodies yet, so that they will face difficulties in that regard in the coming years. On the other hand, those girls might really be petite girls rather than zaftig women.

Are you pertaining to Gracie here? Ashley bumped Mirai. Gracie was guaranteed since she won US Nationals.

gpf-barcelona-logo.jpg?mode=pad&width=36

Juniors Results

Junior Men

1. Shoma Uno, Japan

2. Sota Yamamoto, Japan

3. Alexander Petrov, Russia

Junior Ladies

1. Evgenia Medvedeva, Russia

2. Serafima Sakhanovih, Russia

3. Wakaba Higuchi, Japan

Junior Pairs

1. Julianne Seguin/Charlie Bilodeau, Canada

2. Lina Fedorova/Maxim Miroshkin, Russia

3. Maria Vigalova/Egor Zakroev, Russia

Junior Ice Dance

1. Anna Yanovskaya/Sergey Mozgov, Russia

2. Alla Loboda/Pavel Drozd, Russia

3. Betina Popova/Yuri Vlasenko, Russia

Senior results later

Are you pertaining to Gracie here? Ashley bumped Mirai. Gracie was guaranteed since she won US Nationals.

Was referring to Ashley of course.

/\/\ Wow. Russia is roaring back into the podium.

No US champs in the pipeline.

yea that's not a shocker. Countries like Russia and Japan have been changing their programs to focus more on the technical aspect of figure skating because that's where most of the points are. USA is extremely slow to adapt and will fail if it doesn't follow suit. Since you no longer are extremely punished for falling on a quad, you can't win without it like Evan Lysacek did in 2010.

gpf-barcelona-logo.jpg?mode=pad&width=36

Results

Men

1. Yuzuru Hanyu, Japan

2. Javier Fernandez, Spain

3. Sergei Voronov, Russia

Ladies

1. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Russia

2. Elena Radionova, Russia

3. Ashley Wagner, USA

Pairs

1. Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford, Canada

2. Ksenia Stolbova/Fedor Klimov, Russia

3. Wenjing Sui/Cong Han, China

Ice Dance

1. Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje, Canada

2. Madison Chock/Evan Bates, USA

3. Gabriella Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron, France

Next Stop: Stockholm for the European Figure Skating Championships

Ashley had to fight her way. She was last in the short.

Did you happen to see it?

I'm guessing it was a combination of her fighting and the other girls struggling in their free skate. It looks like it never even aired on any of NBC's stations, so I'll have to find a place to catch the repeats.

I'm guessing it was a combination of her fighting and the other girls struggling in their free skate. It looks like it never even aired on any of NBC's stations, so I'll have to find a place to catch the repeats.

It's not sked here in the Bay Area. Have a feeling they're holding it up for next weekend; and since the US didn't win one gold.

Basically what happened, ya. Ashley did very well and Julia had a dreadful skate.

• 3 weeks later...

They've just released all the entrants for the US nationals in Greensboro in 3 weeks. Was looking at the Ice Dance pipeline. It's great to see many Russian-surnamed males in all categories of Ice Dance -- from Novice all the way to Senior. So that'll ensure a great pipeline of future US talent!!

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2015%20qualifiers.pdf

Archived