2014-15 ISU Figure Skating Season

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

/\/\ Are those lists current? They say that the Reeds are still competing for Japan; Jeremy Ten is listed as now competing for "CAN;" Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner are still in there??? :blink: How bizarre.

Pretty sure the Reeds are still competing for Japan, although they train in the US.

Are you confusing Jeremy Ten with Denis Ten? Denis is from Kazakhstan; Jeremy is from Canada. Although, I thought Jeremy was slated to retire.

Ashley Wagner is definitely not retiring. She had sort of signaled she might early in the season, post-Worlds, she's been very explicit that she would continue. She has visited Shae-Lynn Bourne for choreography. She's definitely continuing.

Jeremy Abbott is still on the fence and has distanced himself from his earlier explicit statements that he would retire. He said he would get programs that could be used either for exhibition skating or competition. (In other words, the programs would be designed to easily take on changes to make them competitive.) He said he might test out the programs and if things were clicking, then he'd continue. I think there's at least a good chance he's a late withdrawal from his GP events but we'll see.

2015 US Championships Emblem

177782a.jpg

2016 US Championships Emblem

162618a.jpg

huh. I notice a pattern here. LOL

It doesn't look like anyone posted about the events selected as part of the inaugural ISU Challenger Series. That was released in an ISU Communication dated June 25: http://static.isu.org/media/153457/1876-decision-of-the-council-after-2014-congress.pdf

The Challenger series connects together 11 Senior International B events. The ISU will provide some prize money for the events and will also award World Standings points for these events at a greater level than that of other Senior Bs not part of the Challenger series. Should be a really great opportunity for second tier skaters or up and comers to prove themselves while earning some cash and points.

Here are the events of the Challenger series:

U.S. International Figure Skating Classic

The United States Figure Skating Association to be held in Salt Lake City, USA on September 10-14, 2014.

Lombardia Trophy

Federazione Italiana Sport del Ghiaccio to be held in Sesto San Giovanni (Milan) on September 18-21, 2014.

Nebelhorn Trophy

Deutsche Eislauf Union e.V. to be held in Oberstdorf, Germany on 24-27 September, 2014.

Ondrej Nepela Memorial

Slovak Figure Skating Association to be held in Bratislava, Slovak Republic on October 1-5, 2014.

Finlandia Trophy

Suomen Taitoluisteluliitto to be held in Espoo, Finland on October 10-12, 2014.

Autumn Classic International

Skate Canada to be held in Barrie, Canada on October 14-17, 2014.

Volvo Open Cup

The Latvian Skating Association to be held in Riga, Latvia on November 5-9, 2014.

Triglav Trophy

Slovene Skating Union to be held in Jesenice, Slovenia on 6-9 November, 2014.

Ice Challenge

Ӧsterreichischer Eiskunstlauf Verband to be held in Graz, Austria on November 13-16, 2014.

Warsaw Cup

Polish Figure Skating Association to be held in Warsaw, Poland on November 20-23, 2014.

Golden Spin of Zagreb

Croatian Skating Federation to be held in Zagreb, Croatia on December 4-7, 2014.

huh. I notice a pattern here. LOL

Since they implemented using the standardized boot logo for US Championships in 2004, there really hasn't been much room for creativity.

2005 they just added a rose since portland, ore is known as the rose city, 2006 in st. louis added the arch.

Here are some of the emblems

7272961_SA.gif

2008%20National%20logo_edited-1.jpg

rvJbjtpz.jpg

2010-US-Champs-Logo.jpg

2011uschamps-logo.jpg

2012USChampsLogo.jpg

Nationals-logo.jpg

14usnats.png

With the exception of Spokane 2007, everything has been red, white and blue.

Cleveland also used some gold but that didn't end up on the ice.

large_skating012009.jpg

Center ice logo

here's a photo with the 2006 St. Louis logo. couldn't find any with just the logo

2006_stl.jpg

Thanks for the recap of the US Championship logos, really enlightening. Sad to say, they're mostly pretty boring...

So a bunch of programs are starting to leak out one way or another (Japanese ice show season, US summer competitions, etc.). I thought at least two of those are pretty notable:

Javier Fernandez's short program - he is using lyrics. I am shocked by how much I am enjoying this program. I am not a Javi fan, honestly if anything up to now I was an anti-fan. But this is good! really suited to his style. He doesn't have all the jump combos in yet, this is from an exhibition in Japan but supposedly he's going to try to do two quads in this eventually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vELBcJEujJM

One big question has been who USFSA will select for the last TBA spot for Skate America. The next highest ranked skater is Samantha Cesario. But Ashley Cain has come out on the summer competition circuit and is landing some big jump combos. She's making a strong argument to get the Skate America spot. I think USFSA probably hopes Sami can get a spot at a Grand Prix once someone withdraws - but the US ladies are nearly maxed out - there are 3 ladies at every GP except Skate Canada right now. Anyway, drama. Will it be Sami? Ashley? Long shots Hannah Miller, Barbie Long, or Leah Keiser?

Here's Ashley Cain's new short from Skate Dallas, including a nice big 3Lz-3Lo

Mirai Nagasu and Jason Brown just had an outing in Colorado Springs (Ashley C. too actually). Mirai's new programs are choreographed by Adam Rippon and are her best in some time IMO. Jason's programs are reaaaaaally cool.

Anyway don't know how much interest y'all have in off-season figure skating news but there you go. It's not off-season for much longer, the first JGP event is August 20 and the first Senior B is August 6, a month from today!

• 2 weeks later...

Big bit of news in US Pairs again...

Felicia Zhang and Nate Bartholomay have split. Felicia is retiring and going to school full time. Nate is strongly rumored to be partnering with Gretchen Donlan, but nothing official yet. Let's see what else....

Other than that, the Grand Prix has been shaking itself out a bit with retirements/splits.

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm the only one who follows the Junior Grand Prix on this forum. I'll spare everyone. But I really like Polina Edmunds's new long program, debuted at a club competition last month:

Thanks for sharing that.

I like Polina, but her darn knees just scream at me through every skate. Despite her ballet background, she doesn't have a very elegant line. I'd really like to see more extension and more intention behind her movements. I hope she grows into that.

So either you do a spinning figure or you do a clunky toe pick? Those are the only two options?

The logo is blocky and has zero poetry or artistry to recommend it. It's one thing to take the utilitarian approach with nationals, but the World Championships deserved more flair. This is bland and I'd even call it ugly.

I like Torino's.

Boston's just feels very heavy and utilitarian. This sport is supposed to have some artistry. It's not the World Weightlifting Championships for crying out loud.

Whatever. I'm sure no one really cares.

Yeah, literally no one else in probably the entire world gives a ****.

I like Torino's.

Boston's just feels very heavy and utilitarian. This sport is supposed to have some artistry. It's not the World Weightlifting Championships for crying out loud.

Whatever. I'm sure no one really cares.

the artistry in this sport is gone. too much emphasis on contortionists moves and no longer has the fluidity which it used to have.

the artistry in this sport is gone. too much emphasis on contortionists moves and no longer has the fluidity which it used to have.

I agree. It's rare to see a truly beautiful skate. The judges' anointing of Sotnikova makes it crystal clear that artistry isn't much of a priority. Very sad.

I think they want to concentrate the artistry in the Dance and make Pairs and Singles the more athletic, acrobatic endurance feats. If they were all fluid, artistic programs, then why separate them? And with the Team event, the marked differences should stand out even more.

I think they want to concentrate the artistry in the Dance and make Pairs and Singles the more athletic, acrobatic endurance feats. If they were all fluid, artistic programs, then why separate them? And with the Team event, the marked differences should stand out even more.

If that's the intention, it's stupid. Why bother with music or costumes then? Why not go back to figures? Why not just have them do jumps?

Yes, then Tessa Virtue and Scott Vice should return their gold medals from 2010. :rolleyes:

Hah that would be ideal. Those 2 made me sick when they cried and complained on them losing to their teammates. Just because they won the last one they felt they deserved to win this one as well. They haven't beaten Davis and White the last 2 years, what makes them think one night is going to make a difference? They've peaked while Davis and White got better and better. And if they had such an issue with the coach spending a little more time with Davis and White, then they should have made the switch long ago.

Archived