GamesBids Olympic Fan Survey: Looks of the Games  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite Olympic "Look of the Games"?

• Mexico CIty 1968
    • Munich 1972
    • Montreal 1976
    • Moscow 1980
    • Los Angeles 1984
    • Seoul 1988
    • Barcelona 1992
    • Lillehammer 1994
    • Atlanta 1996
    • Nagano 1998
    • Sydney 2000
    • Salt Lake City 2002
    • Athens 2004
    • Torino 2006
    • Beijing 2008
    • Vancouver 2010
    • London 2012
    • Sochi 2014
    • PyeongChang 2018
    • Other (specify and show)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the whole, the collages are good. I have to say, I don't think LA's collage is very representative, which is a shame because it was a fabulous look and the first Games to have such a comprehensiv

Okay, this is the fan poll that's been requested. And I had a lot of fun putting these collages together (with some help from Mr Bernham... thanks mate, and hope you don't mind I've tweaked them a bit

Pyeonchang's logo is just so simple and stupid

Given the chaos of colour which infests most city centres these days, I'd say you over-simplify there.

Just look at Rols' collages. Did LA "blend in" to the urban landscape? No. Athens? No. Beijing? No. Torino? No. Not at all.

I'd venture to say that none of the more recent editions of the Games had that problem -- including Vancouver, which had the most subdued color palette of them all.

Let's be realistic. London did not pioneer the idea of a look that stood out from the urban landscape. Any time you put huge quantities of purple, pink, orange, green, blue up in prodigious quantities of fence fabric and banners, you're going to stand out from the landscape. It's not good design, per se. It's just color and quantity.

• Like 1

Right. Because the city is so very hot pink and purple.

No the city is urban and modern, the London brand (apart from the logo) had a similar urban feel. Just look at pictures from game time in the heart of the city, the brand worked very well.

It was not that London stood out, but it blended in; It worked for for London and created a visual identity that blended and worked with the city.

My argument is that, by the use of shape (specifically the off-right-angles which could be applied within any frame) the London look could both blend in and stand out when you needed it:

150712-Clayton-Olympics-1250.jpg

My argument is that, by the use of shape (specifically the off-right-angles which could be applied within any frame) the London look could both blend in and stand out when you needed it:

Exactly...

You said London's look "blended in."

It didn't.

I'm over it.

You newbies are just..... fill in the blank.

Look, I get it you disagree. No need to say my opinion is wrong...

• Like 1

Look, I get it you disagree. No need to say my opinion is wrong...

Get use to it, mr. bernham. In case you haven't noticed with your short time here, you'll soon no doubt discover, as case in point, that NO other opinions matter on these boards other than their own.

Get use to it, mr. bernham. In case you haven't noticed with your short time here, you'll soon no doubt discover, as case in point, that NO other opinions matter on these boards other than their own.

I have noticed, hence my signature.

Graphically, that works very nicely. Offset angle, etc. And I agree with your statement that the London look stood out from the urban landscape. I just disagreed that this was anything new or unique.

Here's are examples that also standexpositionparksourcepul.jpg3389334404_51416b889c_b.jpgarcherykioskssourcepuls.jpg out quite well from the urban landscape:

Los+Angeles+1984+Summer+Olympics.jpgtrogu_tubes_with_screened_graphics.jpeg

Athens I did not mean camouflage I meant it worked and moved with the city 'it blended' or 'fit'. Bottom line it worked for London and took some daring steps in the design world, but at the same time it did it's job by creating a brand image and identity that will always be associated and recognized with these games (just like all the others).

And yes you have made it quite clear that LA'84 was your favorite brand...no shocker there.

Yup. Blends right in. Can't hardly see it. Looks like it was always there.

London_Olympics_Beach_Vol3_t607.JPG

london-wall-539.jpg48997-olympic-image2.jpg

They're practically wearing urban camouflage. I totally see it now.

The purple look for the beach volleyball arena did blend in quite well !

The other two images I've copied here from your selection are both, I think, renders, not real photos. The most notable use of clashing colours in connection with the 2012 Olympics (apart from clusters of free-standing banners) was probably the "flags of all Olympic nations" display on Regent Street.

LA 84 had too many visual elements for comfort; about the only real unifying factor was the use of flat colours.

Yep, "blended in" was the wrong phrase to use. I interpreted your post in the same way Athensfan did, and I couldn't understand where you were coming from either.

With the exception of Wimbledon, where the London 2012 greens and purples blended into the Wimbledon Look we all know and love, London's Look was unashamedly brash.

LA 84 had too many visual elements for comfort; about the only real unifying factor was the use of flat colours.
.......oh you are so wrong on this one. LA was absolutely brilliant and from everything I have every read about it, it was one of the most spectacularly well conceived, received and executed looks ever.

You said the only real unifying factor was color? While it's true the complex color scheme was used across any number of applications it is not true it was the only unifying element. There were MANY consistent material, structural, and design elements in addition to the amazing colors. They were not all the SAME, however whenever you saw one of those constructs/displays, structures, way finding elements, venue trims......you knew instantly it was a game element and you were in LA84. That look is likely one of the reasons those games were considered a watershed celebration and success.

This was an influential trim with SOUL, perfect for spectacular California. It's heaven here after all.

I love ALL the looks but that LA one was like an art installation, it achieved something at a higher level than anything I've ever seen since. But I love every look, that one just always makes me smile.

Edited by paul

I spent a lot of time in London during the games... and the thing I remember most about the "look" of the games was... pink. There was lots and lots of pink. If you like pink, you probably liked the look. if you don't like pink... not so much.

I think beijing's look is underrated. The scroll pattern was well used, just subtle. And they have the best pictograms (hmm, do we have a vote on those?)

"Art" in london's park. I was disapointed with the choices for this park. But this is all subjective, I'm sure these were quit inspiring to many, as was the orbit thing......now an icon of the london games.

akgaxe.jpg

They're mooring posts for boats first and foremost although they were designed by a local artist. They add a bit of colour. There's nothing more to be said about them really. I don't think they're meant to be "inspiring".

I spent a lot of time in London during the games... and the thing I remember most about the "look" of the games was... pink. There was lots and lots of pink. If you like pink, you probably liked the look. if you don't like pink... not so much.

I do LOVE pink......especially the Olympic rings in pink paillettes!

tower1984olympics.jpg

:D

The purple look for the beach volleyball arena did blend in quite well !

The other two images I've copied here from your selection are both, I think, renders, not real photos. The most notable use of clashing colours in connection with the 2012 Olympics (apart from clusters of free-standing banners) was probably the "flags of all Olympic nations" display on Regent Street.

Yeah, purple practically disappears into the white architecture of the "urban landscape."

The renders do show the intent of the designers, which was CLEARLY not to "blend in" as Tony stated -- witness the field hockey venue and ambassador outfits that you conveniently omitted.

I cited LA only to disprove your point that London was somehow innovative in creating a look that "stood out" from the urban landscape. Clearly LA did this much earlier.

Finally, I wasn't making a qualitative judgment about LA vs. London, but since you took it there....

London looks plain and bland by comparison. If anything is innovative, it's LA's use of dimension -- giant 3D shards sticking out of the ground and buildings all over the city, fanciful structures if scaffolding and glitter boards. London was just flat fence fabric and flat banners.

As someone who was there, has plenty of photos and the official 84 Games report, I think it is extraordinary the way that LA's look is so unified despite its diversity of color and applications. Unity in diversity -- THAT is what both the Olympic Games and Los Angeles are about. A far more compelling concept than flat fields of color in different shades broken by a few intersecting lines. Despite the range of components and the "cacophony of confetti", Festive Federalism is instantly identifiable wherever it pops up because the aesthetic is so consistent and distinctive. This also meant that every venue for the Games had a distinct look -- an approach that incorporated far more style and detail than London's simplistic color coding.

So yes, in my opinion LA's look ran circles around London, but that wasn't the point I was making in posting those pictures. Glad to see the photos speak for themselves.