GamesBids Olympic Fan Survey: Looks of the Games  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite Olympic "Look of the Games"?

• Mexico CIty 1968
    • Munich 1972
    • Montreal 1976
    • Moscow 1980
    • Los Angeles 1984
    • Seoul 1988
    • Barcelona 1992
    • Lillehammer 1994
    • Atlanta 1996
    • Nagano 1998
    • Sydney 2000
    • Salt Lake City 2002
    • Athens 2004
    • Torino 2006
    • Beijing 2008
    • Vancouver 2010
    • London 2012
    • Sochi 2014
    • Other (specify and show)
  2. 2. What is your favourite recent Olympic Look of the Games?

• Rio 2016
    • PyeongChang 2018
    • Tokyo 2020
    • Beijing 2022
    • Paris 2024

For me I love both LA and London, London had a nice urban/modern and colorful design. LA had the same thing, but there is just something that makes LA really special to me...I can't put my finger on it.

Although the 'scaffolding' look could have been used less, that's my one complaint with LA.

London has that BAM! look to it, it's a look that will forever by identified by these games.

I spent a lot of time in London during the games... and the thing I remember most about the "look" of the games was... pink. There was lots and lots of pink. If you like pink, you probably liked the look. if you don't like pink... not so much.

I think beijing's look is underrated. The scroll pattern was well used, just subtle. And they have the best pictograms (hmm, do we have a vote on those?)

Can anybody confirm that pink, outside the actual venues, was supposed to be the key colour for direction signs in 2012 (as in the Games Makers' foam hands)?

And were Beijing's pictograms better than Athens' ?

"Art" in london's park. I was disapointed with the choices for this park. But this is all subjective, I'm sure these were quit inspiring to many, as was the orbit thing......now an icon of the london games.

I'll wait for the Tourist Board statistics on the Orbit before pondering whether it can truly be called "an icon".

In 2000 it seems Sydney plagiarised what Barcelona did 8 years before. Really boring.

If you are referring to Sydney's LOGO (which is what I assume you are getting at?) - sure, it is right to say that it was certainly similar to Barcelona, but the fact that Sydney's logo was loaded with its own meaning means I'd probably not go as far as claiming outright plagiarism - let alone calling it 'boring' (really?).

If you were actually saying that Sydney's look plagiarised Barcelona -- I just cant see it. Sydney's 'fluid energy', while personally not my favourite look, was iconically fresh, exciting and Australian and looked nothing like Barcelona's Gaudi tile inspired theme... if anything Beijing seemed to draw on Sydney's "fluid energy".

Yeah, I liked Rio's pictograms as well as Athens, Atlanta, Mexico and Barcelona. Turin and Nagano's pictograms are also among my favorite ones.

In 2000 it seems Sydney plagiarised what Barcelona did 8 years before. Really boring.

As runningrings hints, you seem to be referring to pictograms in the first two sentences, then to logos in the last two sentences (as the Sydney pictograms have little in common with Barcelona's except that they depict athletes). After LA's blatant red, white and blue stars and stripes, there seems to have been a reaction which caused both Seoul and Barcelona to use yellow, red and blue. Barcelona replaced Seoul's abstract "active swirl" with the semi-abstract runner, but Atlanta marked the centenary by modifying the yellow to orange in its "classical" torch. Sydney went back to yellow, and back to the runner, but also back to the spirit of 1980, when Moscow had used a semi-abstract description of one of its landmark skyscrapers. Beijing kept the runner, in a Chinese-significant form, but went back to Moscow's red and white palette.

And then London used Lisa Simpson.

There are a lot that I am quite found of. I think every Olympics since Barcelona (with maybe the exception of Nagano) has done a stellar job when it comes to the look. I am not found of Mexico City's look but it was definitively ahead of its time.

As far as summer looks go I think I might actually like London's the best. I expected to absolutely hate it but everything ended up looking fantastic on TV and in pictures. For Winter I prefer Vancouver mainly because I'm a sucker for green-blue colour combinations.

Wow, you said this in like the first two pages of this thread.

Haha. I don't think so. Scroll through the pages. The post I just done was my first Post on this thread, so stop trying to bring more trouble up with false claims. Thank You.

Screw it, no sense in creating an argument...back to ignore.

You started/created the argument, by falsely claiming I posted on this topic before, when I haven't. I double checked and I haven't. Now that you have been proven wrong and proven of starting the argument, you twist it by saying 'Back to ignore' because you want it to look like I am the bad guy and want to take the easy route by ignoring me instead of owning up like a man!

You started/created the argument, by falsely claiming I posted on this topic before, when I haven't. I double checked and I haven't. Now that you have been proven wrong and proven of starting the argument, you twist it by saying 'Back to ignore' because you want it to look like I am the bad guy and want to take the easy route by ignoring me instead of owning up like a man!

:angry: SHUT THE FK UP!!!

When I mentioned London was my favorite Look of the Games, you took it as cue to instigate a negative backlash with yet another repeat spam bomb.

I Voted for London 2012's. Looked excellent on TV and was my taste in the Look of the Games.

Tony, why don't you treat this like Eurovision - it's just taken as assumed that even if London had built the stadium out of used condoms collected on Hampstead Heath or based its look on smeared dog turds, you'd still "award" London your douze points in every category? Tell us your second favourites then (I naturally would choose England, but after that I'll go for...). It'd be more interesting than telling us something we already know about you before you even post - and which everyone has made clear still pisses them off.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For television glitz an glamour, they are all pretty much the same since 1988 and after. But for the warmth and connectedness of some of the

smaller games, Lake Placid is my choice. My god, you could rub elbows with Olympians all over that beautiful little village. I think way back

to Innsbruck in 1964. I loved watching those games. Munich--no way. I cannot even think about those tragic games without remembering

the images of the terrorists in the Olympic village.

• 7 years later...

My apologies in advance for necromancing this thread, but I always liked this one and put a lot of work into it, and being reminded of it lately while trying to school Olympics2028 on Looks, thought I’d bring him here.

for context:

51942490546_576254b44b_c.jpg

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Not sure if the 2024 OOC is going to end up overthinking aspects of their event.

The so-called look of recent summer games to me have been "uh, oo-kay."

You really think that’s overthinking? That’s a very condensed overview of what is the norm in modern graphic and interior/exterior design. It’s the type of thing that gets produced when any corporate office from Toronto to Jakarta gets a new paint job or a fast food chain decides it wants to change the look of the packaging of its fries. Entire industries focus on the subtleties of Pantone shades and design geometry.

That’s the merest taste of what goes into an official Olympics Look Book.

51941534287_8acd5645d6.jpg 

51941534237_5af7fc44f4.jpg

51942605878_806b48390d_c.jpg

You might regard this all as “overthinking” but it’s all actually a massive operation in global branding for major events that are striving to capture the attention, support and inspiration of the world. It’s part of approaching and presenting the games with professionalism and polish. 

So, when you dismiss all of it as “overthinking stuff”…

31 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

So, when you dismiss all of it as “overthinking stuff”…

Hey, I'm the newbie here.

When I whip through the start of this thread, I realize just how long that conversations about the Olympics go back in time.

If I reactivate a thread or conversation,  I guess to gamebid's forumers that's a case of "been there, done that." Zzzz.

Oops. lol.

The one thing I recall about the look of the last summer games in the US was that certain street banners had corporate logos imprinted on them. That to me was a no-no.

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Hey, I'm the newbie here.

When I whip through the start of this thread, I realize just how long that conversations about the Olympics go back in time.

If I reactivate a thread or conversation,  I guess to gamebid's forumers that's a case of "been there, done that." Zzzz.

Oops. lol.

The one thing I recall about the look of the last summer games in the US was that certain street banners had corporate logos imprinted on them. That to me was a no-no.

I know some forums even outright ban thread necromancy, but I don’t see it as a problem here. A lot of people enjoy going through old discussions and I think it’s even better sometimes to re-start an existing discussion, particularly on a broad subjects like “Looks”, than starting a whole new one on the same topic.

I do apologise if it seems I, and others, seem to be on your back all the time. To tell you the truth, I’m quite enjoying some of the discussions I’m having with you - it’s engaging to try to get my thoughts across and maybe educate you on some finer points on things like Looks. It’s made me a lot more interested to participate than I have been in a long time. It’s just some of your comments are a bit like a newbie bull blundering into the china shop, and you do tend to over-state the same opinions over and over again in odd places. If I try to redirect you or move your comments over to more appropriate threads, it’s not to be pissy at you, it’s more to spark activity where those discussions are more fitting, and to try not to let other threads get derailed by off-topic musings too much.  

We’ve all been newbies at some time. I sure trod on a few toes when I first joined. But you learn to fit in, you learn more about the games the games themselves, and you and your opinions start to get accepted more.

Edited by Sir Rols