Past Olympics Media Coverage

On 12/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, danderson4500 said:

I still remember in Nanago in 98, watching CBC and I could hear the anger in Brian Williams's voice(the CBC guy) because the snowboarder from Canada was disqualified. I just cant imagine McKay or Gifford during the ABC era being that mad over a decision like that.

Ross Rebagliati.  I remember that very well.  They were extremely outraged over that decision unlike it was eventually reversed.

A lot of people have said over the years that American TV coverage is overly jingoistic.  They don't hold a candle to some of that I witnessed from the Canadians.

56 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Ross Rebagliati.  I remember that very well.  They were extremely outraged over that decision unlike it was eventually reversed.

A lot of people have said over the years that American TV coverage is overly jingoistic.  They don't hold a candle to some of that I witnessed from the Canadians.

Speaking of, Canadian coverage of Sydney 2000 has an interesting wrinkle. In the middle of the Games, Pierre Trudeau died. I know at least the CBC broke into its coverage with the news and it cast a pall over maybe the last week of the Games.

13 hours ago, mattperiolat said:

Speaking of, Canadian coverage of Sydney 2000 has an interesting wrinkle. In the middle of the Games, Pierre Trudeau died. I know at least the CBC broke into its coverage with the news and it cast a pall over maybe the last week of the Games.

Remember that one as well.  I think it took over most of the programming that night, but after that it was reserved more for news coverage, even though all the anchors in Australia certainly made mention of it the remainder of the Games

On 12/29/2020 at 10:04 PM, Quaker2001 said:

On 12/29/2020 at 11:04 PM, mattperiolat said:

I've always found it fascinating how different nations' coverage of Games could take on such different flavors.  Not to criticize one as being better than the other but the ceremonies stand out to me especially.  Some broadcasts let the pageantry speak for itself while NBC and even CBS before then seem determined to be more explanatory about the context of the presentation or present statistics about the scope of its grandeur.  The Parade of Nations too where other nations' broadcasts are more descriptive of the athletes participating and who has medal opportunities or interesting backstories where as NBC has turned it into a geography/political lesson for the viewer.  Not saying one is better than the other; just always thought it was interesting how the production of the same event is fit to the people viewing it on a country-by-country basis.  Could speak to how each country views the Olympics as an event.

Speaking of 1998, i had to be very careful to not tell my mother about some events, because i had seen them on CBC 16 hours before CBS showed them. One example was the ladies figure skating final, i did not tell her what happened, for fear she would know before CBS showed it in prime time.

Another incident involving Canadians.. history generally remembers what happened with Jamie Sale and David Pelletier in 2002 in Salt Lake.  What is not as often remembered is what happened to Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz.  They were the Canadian ice dance pair who finished 4th in Nagano largely due to what was believed to by bloc voting by European judges to prevent the Canadians from winning a medal.  That one rankled Brian Williams and company as well, so it was more less than objective commentary coming from them.  But in many ways completely justified.

Hello, Quaker... I'm (WinteRings)... 

Please forgive me for posting this here if it doesn't not belong. This is my very first post and I was unable to message you. I have been looking for years to find someone who was as nuts as I was about Olympic Games and recording them to VHS/DVD. I'm strictly a Winter Olympics loon and had near complete recordings of the games from 1998 forward. Unfortunately I lost most of the VHS recordings in moves along the way and when I saw your list of videos in here, I nearly lost my breath. If at all possible, I would love to discuss the opportunity to get copies of some of the complete sets you have. I only have complete sets of Vancouver 2010, Sochi 2014 and PyeongChang 2018 now but would love to relive the sets I lost. I would be willing to pay for any costs incurred - of course. Much thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

22 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Another incident involving Canadians.. history generally remembers what happened with Jamie Sale and David Pelletier in 2002 in Salt Lake.  What is not as often remembered is what happened to Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz.  They were the Canadian ice dance pair who finished 4th in Nagano largely due to what was believed to by bloc voting by European judges to prevent the Canadians from winning a medal.  That one rankled Brian Williams and company as well, so it was more less than objective commentary coming from them.  But in many ways completely justified.

Being so knowledgeable about previous Olympics, especially from the Canadian perspective, I wonder if you go back as far as 1988 and recall what the Canadian reaction was to the whole Ben Johnson doping scandal in Seoul?

1 hour ago, JSopko27 said:

Being so knowledgeable about previous Olympics, especially from the Canadian perspective, I wonder if you go back as far as 1988 and recall what the Canadian reaction was to the whole Ben Johnson doping scandal in Seoul?

I'm knowledgeable about 1998 on CBC because I saw it with my own eyes.  No idea how Canadian coverage handled Ben Johnson.  I know NBC dedicated a ton of time to it as it was probably one of the biggest stories of those Olympics.  I know CBC had the Summer Olympics that year after CTV had the Winter Olympics.  According to Wikipedia, Brian Williams was the host, so I can imagine he had a couple of opinions on that one and probably had a few things to say about American sprinters as well

On 12/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, danderson4500 said:

I still remember in Nanago in 98, watching CBC and I could hear the anger in Brian Williams's voice(the CBC guy) because the snowboarder from Canada was disqualified. I just cant imagine McKay or Gifford during the ABC era being that mad over a decision like that.

I can think of at least one ABC commentator who would not hesitate to vent anger at a judges decision: Dick Button. He always spoke out forcefully whenever he thought someone was scored too low or treated unfairly. That's one thing I always liked about him. He was figure skating's biggest booster, but was never afraid to be harshly critical of it, too. Now he did go overboard a few times. His distraught commentary of Babilonia and Gardner's withdrawl at Lake Placid, was over the top jingoism, for sure, but he was way more fair to non-americans than most American announcers usually are.

On 1/4/2021 at 12:52 PM, Quaker2001 said:

I'm knowledgeable about 1998 on CBC because I saw it with my own eyes.  No idea how Canadian coverage handled Ben Johnson.  I know NBC dedicated a ton of time to it as it was probably one of the biggest stories of those Olympics.  I know CBC had the Summer Olympics that year after CTV had the Winter Olympics.  According to Wikipedia, Brian Williams was the host, so I can imagine he had a couple of opinions on that one and probably had a few things to say about American sprinters as well

CBC was my choice when it came to hockey during the Olympics. Bob Cole and Harry Neale were so much better than whoever CBS used in 98. They did a pretty good job, given that NHL players were in the Olympics for the first time and they did Hockey Night In Canada

On 12/29/2020 at 10:04 PM, Quaker2001 said:

I can tell you that from first hand experience. On hockey, Bob Cole and Harry Neale were big Canada homers during their games. So was  Don Cherry.  I remember Don Wittman doing curling too. What i remember about that was, during the anthem after Canada won, he shut up and let the pictures do the talking.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 12:29 PM, danderson4500 said:

I can tell you that from first hand experience. On hockey, Bob Cole and Harry Neale were big Canada homers during their games. So was  Don Cherry.  I remember Don Wittman doing curling too. What i remember about that was, during the anthem after Canada won, he shut up and let the pictures do the talking.

I'm not in an area close enough to the border to get the CBC coverage but being an NHL fan I could imagine that that crew was over-the-top on their homerism, especially in Vancouver.

Would it be possible for you to send me a private message; I have a question about some of the Olympics videos you have mentioned in various threads?  I tried sending you a message but it said your account was not accepting them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm back! :)

Keeping up with the Canadian past Olympic TV coverage theme, and the following is so perfect for this. Just spotted a couple of those CTV Barcelona 1992 15-second promos today that were recently uploaded on Youtube late 2020. Surely there were fuller ones made that has yet to see light of day there as well as some CTV coverage from Barcelona. We like to see them. Both have the Coca-Cola presentation sponsor logo at the end.

First CTV Barcelona 1992 promo: A Canadian teen writes a letter to his parents right at Montjuic Stadium excited over the Barcelona Olympics starting and making lifelong friends from around the world there. Interspersed with past Olympic footage and the sights of Barcelona. Come to think of it, some of this stuff has to come from Spain's Tourist Commission commercials that were played during this time because I recognize those standard air mail envelopes that are involved in them to help promote Barcelona:

Next one is entitled "Win With the World" when we random and various Olympic footage from Seoul along other events. Thought I spot Canadian decathlete and Barcelona flagberer Mike Smith throwing the javelin among them as they prepare all those hours for those brief moments of Olympic glory they get like we see with the rowers, weightlifters, and gymnasts:  

• 3 months later...

I watched CBC and NBC in 8 for sure(I had one of those big dishes then.) Brian Williams did a much better job as host than Bryant Gumbel, who was NBC's prime time host.  To my knowledge, Brian was CBC's regular host then on major events not named Hockey Night In Canada. Can anybody remember who did swimming for CBC? I remember Don Criqui doing it for NBC, but i can't remember who did for CBC, Ted Reynolds?