Hi there friends! :)

Long time no see, I blame that absence on school. However, in saying that, some good things come out of school–namely, the latest project I've been assigned.

The project is an open ended one, I simply have to make something. Me being me, I chose to design a look for Tokyo's games. I've been working (procrastinating) on it for a while, and I'd like to get some criticism and critique (compliments might be nice as well) in order to improve upon it.

So, without further ado, the logo:

ajkH7Jw.png

I guess this is the part where I talk about it for a bit. At it's core, it's a stylized representation of a Gingko leaf (This is the second leaf logo I've made...) which is one of the symbols for Tokyo and endemic to Japan. The logo folds out from the stem to almost form a fan, another icon of Japan. It can look like many things, a (cherry blossom) tree, a (crane) bird flying, a book, a flower. It's fairly abstract. The lines plastered across it were put in place to bring to mind two things; the longitudinal and latitudinal lines that criss cross the globe, the olympics are a global event after all. Additionally, the way they're positioned almost bring to mind a human, two arms, two feet, legs, chest and a head, although at this point I may be grasping at straws. The colors–well I needed to pick some, and settled on a nice cherry blossom pink, although this'll most likely change as I progress.

Now, based off of this logo I came up with a look:

0UlidKEl.png

(The full size is pretty big so I scaled it down. To see it in the full size, click here.)

The look riffs off of the circular patterns present in the logo, albeit on a larger scale. Again, colors aren't solidified. To me, it sort of looks like ripples in a (koi) pond.

That's all for now then. I hope you all like it, and please, do provide critiques, It'll be insanely helpful. Even I can tell it's far from finished as is. So yea. Thanks all. :)

Be careful what you ask for.

You've tried to represent everything and in so doing you communicated nothing. It doesn't look like a ginkgo leaf or a cherry blossom or a crane or a fan or a globe. The pink/purple color makes the design appear very feminine. The typography is very utilitarian and bland.

To me it looks like branding for a cosmetic surgery clinic or a tampon -- not Olympic Games.

The "look" also conveys no meaning. Just some very uniform, intersecting concentric circles. The amber color fights like hell with the pink/purple.

No part of it says "Japan" or "sports".

That's my honest reaction.

• Like 1

Recommendation:

Make the logo obviously a ginkgo leaf. Render everything in the golden/amber tones (makes sense for ginkgo). Add a cool color for relief (deep purple? spring green? both?). Find a font with some character. Sans serif is fine, but it needs to be more distinctive. Find a way to tell some sort of story with your look. There needs to be a concept behind it, not just random shapes.

• Like 1

Recommendation:

Make the logo obviously a ginkgo leaf. Render everything in the golden/amber tones (makes sense for ginkgo). Add a cool color for relief (deep purple? spring green? both?). Find a font with some character. Sans serif is fine, but it needs to be more distinctive. Find a way to tell some sort of story with your look. There needs to be a concept behind it, not just random shapes.

Spot on Athens, I would even say to make the logo something that can be used in branding. If we look at Barcelona, Sydney and even London, their logo's set the tone and design style of the whole event. Even more importantly they are things we remember years from now, find a way to make your logo translatable and something a brand can form around.

Gingo is the tree of Tokyo Metropolis but IMO it is not so impressive to call it as one of the "symbols" of Tokyo.

As for colour of cherry blossom,quite deep and to me 2 of them look deep purple and wine red rather than pink.

Here are some examples of cherry flowers of this year.

1)So deep and strong pink.This type is not so popular.
753B50CF331_R_zpscba843c1.jpg

2)Very cherry.
753B50CF330_R_zpse3ae1083.jpg

Good luck! ;)

• Like 1

Is that a yoshi I spy? :P

Yes :lol: .She's been asking you to remember her name.

Back to topic.Tokyo + Gingo always remind me of manhole cover.I used to look at them everyday.

http://www.hotetu.net/manhole/tokyo/tokyo.html

Here are various types of cherry flower.

http://5.pro.tok2.com/~yoshino/hana/sakura/sakura_mokuji.html

Sorry Ryan, English is not available on both sites.

For me, any logo in pale pink is going to feel exclusively feminine and un-Olympic. I think cherry blossoms are beautiful, but pale pink ones in a logo doesn't sound like a workable plan.

Interesting to see the manhole cover association with ginkgo. I never would have guessed!

Ryan,the oranges Gingo on both sides are leaves in autumn or Gingo fruits? If those are fruits,I have to hold my nose right now. So smelly :D.

Here's Tokyo 2020's message(in English)of before 7th of September 2013. It's deleted already so I hope this could help you.

http://imgcc.naver.jp/kaze/mission/USER/20120807/74/763674/7/980x850x4783f5c9d4d76d796ae217e4.jpg

*And here's also message in Japanese.Paste the texts and translate them.So different!!! :huh:Might be interesting.

http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2134429753156541001