Oly Fan Survey: Stadiums

GamesBids Olympic Fan Survey: Stadiums  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Olympic Stadium (1896-1968)?

• Athens 1896 (Panathenaic Stadium)
    • Paris 1900 (Vélodrome de Vincennes)
    • St Louis 1904 (Francis Field)
    • London 1908 (White City Stadium)
    • Stockholm 1912 (Stockholms Olympiastadion)
    • Antwerp 1920 (Olympisch Stadion)
    • Paris 1924 (Stade Olympique de Colombes)
    • Amsterdam 1928 (Olympisch Stadion)
    • Berlin 1936 (Olympiastadion)
    • London 1948 (Wembley Stadium)
    • Helsinki 1952 (Olympiastadion)
    • Melbourne 1956 (Melbourne Cricket Ground)
    • Rome 1960 (Stadio Olimpico)
    • Tokyo 1964 (National Olympic Stadium)
    • Mexico City 1968 (Estadio Olímpico Universitario)
    • Other (specify)
  2. 2. What's your favourite Olympic Stadium (1972-2016)?

• Munich 1972 (Olympiastadion)
    • Montreal 1976 (Stade Olympique)
    • Moscow 1980 (Luzhniki Stadium)
    • Los Angeles 1932-1984 (LA Memorial Colosseum)
    • Seoul 1988 (Seoul Olympic Stadium)
    • Barcelona 1992 (Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys)
    • Atlanta 1996 (Centennial Olympic Stadium-Turner Field)
    • Sydney 2000 (Sydney Olympic Stadium)
    • Athens 2004 (Olympic Stadium Spyros Louis)
    • Beijing 2008 (Bird's Nest)
    • Vancouver 2010 (BC Place)
    • London 2012 (London Olympic Stadium)
    • Sochi 2014 (Fisht Stadium)
    • Rio de Janeiro 2016 (Estádio do Maracanã)
    • Other (specify)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like Athens' ancient elegance, Berlin's timeless grandeur that works as well in modern times after renovation, Munich's airy, innovative and light beauty, Barcelona's classic style and Sydney's colo

im voting for berlin and beijing..i love berlin clean fine line architecture and the brutalist look of the stadium while beijing with iconic avant garde alien look,which really imposing and have a var

I'm always torn on Berlin. On the one hand, all the iconagraphy, imagery, style etc. were just so perfect and set the standard all future games have to live up to. On the other hand, Hiter. Can we rea

If useful is becoming an abandoned lot some 20 years after the event, then sure...

Well, it's certainly seen more use than the first 120 years of Athens' Panathinaikos stadium if u want to go that route. It certainly wasn't in the original planning stage that the professional team leasing it would want to have their OWN...to use a pun...digs after only 16 years or so. Who's to say that West Ham in London, who were not in the original design stage of the stadium, will hang around after their first lease is up?? What I'm saying is that Atlanta had a tenant ready to move in after the Games thus the design was slightly skewed to fit that tenant's needs. But nowhere did it say on the Braves' contract that they are doomed and fated to play there in perpetuity. Heck, even Atlanta's football team have also gotten tired of the Georgia Dome. It's just the name of the (professional) game in the US that the heavily protected and profitable pro teams want their own homes at public money's expense to bolster their own net worth. That's the qualification I was making re the Atlanta Olympic Stadium.

I went for the German duo too. Berlin because of it's history while Munich for a design that in my opinion is way ahead of it's time. I also love Kenzo Tange's work especially Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Isozaki's Palau Sant Jordi and Calatrava's work for Athens but that's a different conversation.

Yes for me...

First group. Berlin 1936, apart from it's obvious history, the first Olympics mega stadium, neat and tidy and the only tangible survivor of the Third Reich that really doesn't have a bad feeling to it thanks to a young Afro American man shattering the notion of Masterace inside it.

Second Group. Sydney 2000...those huge 'I can't see a bloody thing' wings are impressive, torn down after as the ground was turned into ANZ Stadium. Inside it now, you wouldn't think the Olympics were held there. Well used by all sports, has paid for its self over and over again.

Alex-- Great points for Berlin, but your point of first "megastadium" got me thinking. What was the first megastadium at the Olympics? Los Angeles would also be a contender, which many believe that was what Berlin was trying to match. Amsterdam was also the first 'real' purpose built major Olympic facility. Then there are other milestones like Melbourne being the first to push 100k (not to be repeated until Sydney - a bit of an Aussie achievement!) or then Munich or Montreal which were the first to truly dip into the megastadium projects.

Alex-- Great points for Berlin, but your point of first "megastadium" got me thinking. What was the first megastadium at the Olympics? Los Angeles would also be a contender, which many believe that was what Berlin was trying to match. Amsterdam was also the first 'real' purpose built major Olympic facility. Then there are other milestones like Melbourne being the first to push 100k (not to be repeated until Sydney - a bit of an Aussie achievement!) or then Munich or Montreal which were the first to truly dip into the megastadium projects.

Wasn't Berlin purpose built, and on a very grand scale. The MCG was a cricket/AFL ground?

White City could be a shout for that. 130k capacity standing, 68k when an all-seater, biggest in the World when it was built for the 1908 Games.

White_City_Stadium_1908.jpg

Sydney Olympic Park Trust unveiled earlier this year their plans for redeveloping Sydney's Olympic Stadium ('Stadium Australia' at the time, and now called ANZ Stadium). This will include a retractable roof. Looks good.

UEBQcHSqtBU

Sydney Olympic Park Trust unveiled earlier this year their plans for redeveloping Sydney's Olympic Stadium ('Stadium Australia' at the time, and now called ANZ Stadium). This will include a retractable roof. Looks good.

UEBQcHSqtBU

Very nice. Actually, that retractable roof can provide parking for like, another 650 cars! :lol:B)

UEBQcHSqtBU

Onward and upwards for this amazing facility. Visiting it now is awesome enough, so bring it on. The focus clearly on the three Rugby codes that Australia plays. Could possibly see the RWC here in 23 or 27. This facility is the premium ground in the Oceanic region so it needs to keep reinventing its self. The roof design had always a retractable structure in mind. A future FIFA WC also a possibility.

UEBQcHSqtBU

Still amazes me in beauty today! Next time the games come to Oz I hope some events are held here (unless Sydney is the host, in that case then I imagine this park will be home to the most sports.)

IF Australia is so lucky to host an Olympics again in the next 30 years, (be it Melbourne or Brisbane) I'd be very surprised if Stadium Australia were not used - it would have to be an option for Football.

This also must be a first for Stadium Australia - first Olympic Stadium to go indoors. (BC Place doesn't count!)

IF Australia is so lucky to host an Olympics again in the next 30 years, (be it Melbourne or Brisbane) I'd be very surprised if Stadium Australia were not used - it would have to be an option for Football.

This also must be a first for Stadium Australia - first Olympic Stadium to go indoors. (BC Place doesn't count!)

I would love to see Melbourne, Brisbane...I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind seeing Sydney host again before I die...then again with the way things are going in the IOC I can see Oz hosting in the 40's or 50's.

I doubt the bulk of Australians would really support another Olympic bid so soon themselves - in fact in the current political climate in Australia I could see an Olympic bid in the near future go a similar way to Munich, smashed by opposition. Australia is quite a different place to the one in the early 90s that produced the Sydney 2000 vision.

I doubt the bulk of Australians would really support another Olympic bid so soon themselves - in fact in the current political climate in Australia I could see an Olympic bid in the near future go a similar way to Munich, smashed by opposition. Australia is quite a different place to the one in the early 90s that produced the Sydney 2000 vision.

Ah, I see. Well Oz still has a fantastic legacy from both games and two world renowned Olympic Parks. Not to mention the beauty that is the wide brown land, now if only we could get Tony out :rolleyes:

Brisbane would be fun, but it's kind of an Australian San Diego. Best zoo in the country, great surfing and so on. But it just isn't big enough and there's a much bigger city right next door that has almost all of the venues needed.

My vote would be for Melbourne for Australia's next host.

Who ever said Brisbane has Australias's best zoo? I can't even think of what zoo that might be. Sydney's Taronga is one of the best in the world.

I thought the same at first too, then realised he must have been referring to San Diego. The only other thing he could mean is the Irwin's Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast - but that has more akin with a Florida gator park than a respectable zoo.

I thought the same at first too, then realised he must have been referring to San Diego. The only other thing he could mean is the Irwin's Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast - but that has more akin with a Florida gator park than a respectable zoo.

Sorry. I should have said most famous zoo rather than best.

My point is that both are tourist friendly and have great beaches nearby, but probably aren't big enough to be good Olympic hosts.