Oly Fan Survey: Stadiums

GamesBids Olympic Fan Survey: Stadiums  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Olympic Stadium (1896-1968)?

• Athens 1896 (Panathenaic Stadium)
    • Paris 1900 (Vélodrome de Vincennes)
    • St Louis 1904 (Francis Field)
    • London 1908 (White City Stadium)
    • Stockholm 1912 (Stockholms Olympiastadion)
    • Antwerp 1920 (Olympisch Stadion)
    • Paris 1924 (Stade Olympique de Colombes)
    • Amsterdam 1928 (Olympisch Stadion)
    • Berlin 1936 (Olympiastadion)
    • London 1948 (Wembley Stadium)
    • Helsinki 1952 (Olympiastadion)
    • Melbourne 1956 (Melbourne Cricket Ground)
    • Rome 1960 (Stadio Olimpico)
    • Tokyo 1964 (National Olympic Stadium)
    • Mexico City 1968 (Estadio Olímpico Universitario)
    • Other (specify)
  2. 2. What's your favourite Olympic Stadium (1972-2016)?

• Munich 1972 (Olympiastadion)
    • Montreal 1976 (Stade Olympique)
    • Moscow 1980 (Luzhniki Stadium)
    • Los Angeles 1932-1984 (LA Memorial Colosseum)
    • Seoul 1988 (Seoul Olympic Stadium)
    • Barcelona 1992 (Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys)
    • Atlanta 1996 (Centennial Olympic Stadium-Turner Field)
    • Sydney 2000 (Sydney Olympic Stadium)
    • Athens 2004 (Olympic Stadium Spyros Louis)
    • Beijing 2008 (Bird's Nest)
    • Vancouver 2010 (BC Place)
    • London 2012 (London Olympic Stadium)
    • Sochi 2014 (Fisht Stadium)
    • Rio de Janeiro 2016 (Estádio do Maracanã)
    • Other (specify)

Sorry. I should have said most famous zoo rather than best.

Not to nitpick -- but are you referring to Australia Zoo north of Brisbane? That hardly rates - its more a hokey crocodile themed fun park than it is a zoo. I'd rank Sydney's Taronga, Royal Melbourne, Western Plains and the Adelaide Zoo all above it in terms of importance and numbers.

Sydney-taronga-zoo.jpg

Sounded like a Tony-like comment :P

What about it is on the Tony continuum?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what makes a stadium great is when they are a well loved legacy. There are some that have been forgotten or demolished others that were built with alternative use when the Olympics were done...a classic would be Atlanta 96. Sydney 00 is another that keeps evolving into what suits the market best. Tokyo 64 will become the ultimate statement in reuse...Which brings us to another direction, the end of purpose built main stadiums?

I think what makes a stadium great is when they are a well loved legacy. There are some that have been forgotten or demolished others that were built with alternative use when the Olympics were done...a classic would be Atlanta 96. Sydney 00 is another that keeps evolving into what suits the market best. Tokyo 64 will become the ultimate statement in reuse...Which brings us to another direction, the end of purpose built main stadiums?

I think it's Sydney's adaptive nature that makes it such a beloved stadium.

I think the LA Coliseum might have the best post-Olympic history. College football, NFL, MLB, MLS, another Olympics, concerns, film sets, you name it.

Much better that Atlanta's, considering they are tearing it down two years from now :angry:. I don't see why the can't just renovate the bit<h.

The Montreal Stadium has always impressed me except when I was there during the 1976 games. It was unfinished and most disheartening.

Historically, the Berlin Olympic Stadium is most impressive to me. Neo-classical in spirit and design, it has (or had in 1936) too much of that

Nazi severity of style. But it has endured and remains a vital part of the sports world today.

The Munich stadium is most impressive and has its roots in Montreal. It was designed by the same architect, Frei Otto, who designed the

Pavilion of The Federal Republic of Germany at Expo 67 in Montreal.

That pavilion had the same tent like canopy covering the entire exhibit and was

one of the most popular attractions at Expo. He also designed the Pavilion of Japan at Expo 2000 in Hanover. It was a very different

design using pressed paper tubes. The entire structure was recycled.

Atlanta's Turner Field which hosted the FABULOUS Centennial Opening Ceremony might yet have new life as the new campus of Georgia State Univ.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-state-wants-to-turn-turner-field-into-foot/nfq8R/

Acticle makes me want to vomit. They could play in a prefectly good stadium for $450k/year. But, noooo, they want to spend $millions on yet another stadium.

Atlanta's Turner Field which hosted the FABULOUS Centennial Opening Ceremony might yet have new life as the new campus of Georgia State Univ.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-state-wants-to-turn-turner-field-into-foot/nfq8R/

I'm so happy right now, thank god that stadium will/may be saved! I just could not imagine such an important stadium to Olympic and American History being demolished. Better yet it will be in some sense restored to it's former glory.

I'm so happy right now, thank god that stadium will/may be saved! I just could not imagine such an important stadium to Olympic and American History being demolished. Better yet it will be in some sense restored to it's former glory.

Turner Field isn't even twenty years old and they wang to pull it down? But then it's paid itself off goodness knows how many times over.

Archived