Oly Fan Survey: Opening Ceremonies

GamesBids Olympic Fan Survey: Opening Ceremonies  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Olympic Games opening ceremony?

• 1980 Moscow
    • 1984 Sarajevo
    • 1984 Los Angeles
    • 1988 Calgary
    • 1988 Seoul
    • 1992 Albertville
    • 1992 Barcelona
    • 1994 Lillehammer
    • 1996 Atlanta
    • 1998 Nagano
    • 2000 Sydney
    • 2002 Salt Lake City
    • 2004 Athens
    • 2006 Torino
    • 2008 Beijing
    • 2010 Vancouver
    • 2012 London
    • 2014 Sochi
    • Other (specify)

Hmmmm. I started these survey polls to try to lighten the mood here, but I suspect this is the one (if any) that will spark the most arguments. We all have our faves, it's totally subjective, but wow, do we prosecute our pet ceremonies here!!!! I've only gone back as far as 1980 - as far as I'm concerned, that's when the modern ceremonies as we enjoy them really started. But ou can o course argue the case for those no-on here has ever seen.

Let opening arguments for the prosecution and defence begin!

7opo.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, but this is "favourites" not "best" (which I think is an impossible discussion anyway). I didn't vote London, but I can se how it could rank as a favourite, even for non-Brits. It's one of my f

How London has 3 votes is beyond me. Overall didn't make a lot of sense and arguably the ones with less votes should be a little higher on the list .

That's fair. "Favorite" needs no justification.

Barcelona. Had shades of Auckland CWG 1990 OC in it. Pity Freddy Mercury had died by then, would've been awesome if he had sung "Barcelona" during it.

• Like 1

I've long had my favourite four: Barcelona for flair and passion, Sydney for hometown emotion, Lillehammer for getting the wintry Scandinavian folk tone right and London for fun and good human-scale pandemonium. But as much as so many other aspects of Sochi disturbed me, I have to say, I think it's opening is hard to beat and now tops my list clear.

Edited by Sir Rols

Having recently rewatched a ton of ceremonies I opted for SLC 2002.

Sydney was awesome and comes a close second - however the tin symphony just draaaaaaaaaags.

Vancouver had too much aerial stuff but was amazing live.

Lillehammer was simplified perfection - however apart from the cauldron lighting it was very... dry.

Atlanta was phenomenally entertaining bar the cauldron. The pick up trucks/cheerleaders and the call of the colours were great.

Beijing has spectacle but no heart.

Athens had spectacle and heart but missed an opportunity to welcome the world to a modern Greece. The technology was overwhelmed by the sense of occassion.

So I went for SLC. It was a spectacle. It wasn't padded out. It had some very touching moments as well - remember when we were all supporting the US after 9/11. There was legitimate emotion. That torn and shredded flag being carried in like an almost religious icon was breathtaking.

London almost got my vote - that Pandemonium section is one of the greatest pieces of Stadium choreography I have ever seen.

Sochi had some major wow factor - as did the others in places - but SLC had real heart, had an interesting narrative and was pretty much flawless.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for Baron to find this :D

R u kidding? Already saw it last night. Hey, it's whatever floats your boat. There's room for everyone...including the subpar and mediocre ones which are named there. But each one can't be as great as the next.

Am glad Puppy likes SLC. Yeah, Salt Lake had the right proportions of everything. But I like sheer restrained spectacle just for spectacle's sakes. So, it's Beijing #1 for me; Sochi - #2; Salt Lake - #3. And Atlanta (of course, for sentimental, personal connections) and Barcelona!!

For me this one is so hard: Sydney showcased the magic and beauty of the wide brown land, Barcelona had Spanish passion and heart, London was just plain beautiful, Lillehammer was simple and cultural. Argh! I'm going with Sydney

And SLC for Winter

With ceremonies, for me it's like with wine: Like them or not, not being an expert and just enjoying them or not, no matter the fine details.

So, I have sentimental faves from the 80s (LA) and 90s (Lillehammer), and I'm generally bored by the more recent ones, including the heavily praised Sochi.

I've never been able to get over the elegance and beauty of Athens'. Everything from the floosed stadium floor to the ethereal voices of the female announcers was just pure class. The stunning venue helps loads as well.

I would probably put Beijing and Sydney above London, as far as ceremonies this century are concerned.

Winter wise, Sochi's and Vancouver's were pretty phenomenal I thought. The former was more impressive than the latter though, but it was also colder (no pun intended).

BARCELONA is still inspiring!!! And many around the world became addicted to this events after the 1992 summer. The Catalonians and Spaniards in general were really sophisticated and clever in such ceremony. I was in Athens 2004 ceremony, so I have to mention it was a wonderful experience.

I have to recognise Moscow reinvented the Olympic ceremonies and Sochi just reconfirmed how good the Russians are in this sort of spectacles.

London 2012's was so inspirational.

Alright, we get it, you liked London 2012, even its mascot and logo which were both abominations to the Olympic movement.

• Like 1

For me it has got to be Athens 2004 - the convergence of drama, simplicity, technology and spectacle was spine tingling.

Honourable mention to Sydney 2000 (close second: human, joyful, raw, majestic and endearing imperfect), London 2012 (only saved by the first 20 minutes and the last 10 minutes, however it was overall very human and down to earth), Atlanta 1996 (fun and majestic - so grand!) and Barcelona 1992 (the first ceremony to move from crass into class).

Moscow 1980 and LA84 are great in their own ways - the pioneers.

Seoul and Beijing are the only two ceremonies I really don't get excited over at all - I'm thinking it could be the Asian tendency to go for the overly symbolic wow factor - which doesn't really do it for me. Although I have a hunch Tokyo 2020 will be different.

Of the Winter ceremonies my favourite is Sochi 2014 - as much as I hate to admit it. Honourable mention to Vancouver 2010, Salt Lake City 2002, Lillehammer 1994 and Albertville 1992.

OVERALL

1. Athens 2004

2. Sydney 2000

3. Sochi 2014

4. Barcelona 1992

5. Atlanta 1996

Sochi was brilliant apart from the cauldron lighting (did you spot the comment in my Rob Bissinger link "we had to rethink the lighting of the cauldron at the last minute"?) but it was evident throughout that it was very consciously designed as an "OC Greatest Hits" with blatant borrowings at least as far back as Sydney.
London was a fabulous emotional roller-coaster, and full of glorious WTF moments, but its underlying sophistication was lost on most viewers.
Vancouver was beautiful (and does Canada do great contemporary music or what?) but rather lacking in wow factor.
Beijing was all wow factor, kind of chilling (by the way, one thing I'd forgotten about the bouncing-ball episode in A Wrinkle in Time is that it begins shortly after a quotation about Ariel from The Tempest).
Torino was, erm, a bit too Euro.
Athens was cool and arty, but betrayed the stadium audience and lacked mass energy.
Salt Lake City really needs to be listed after the next entry, because it had much of the same vibe on a smaller scale.
Sydney was amazing, a great and engaging stadium spectacle which set several benchmarks- but it did seem too dependent upon stereotypical notions of Australia (maybe a nation so young has little except stereotypes).

Well, you get the idea- I don't have an "absolute favourite". So I'll vote for Barcelona as the greatest creative example of the early artistic OC era (with special kudos for getting away with the outrageously magnificent fake cauldron ignition).