Oly Fan Survey: Mascots

GamesBids Olympic Fan Survey: Mascots  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What's you favourite Olympic Games mascot?

• 1980 Mischa
    • 1984 Vucko
    • 1984 Sam
    • 1988 Hidy & Howdy
    • 1988 Hodori
    • 1992 Magique
    • 1994 Cobi
    • 1994 Kristin & Hakon
    • 1996 Izzy
    • 1998 The Snowlets
    • 2000 Ollie, Syd & Millie
    • 2002 Powder, Copper & Coal
    • 2004 Athena & Phevos
    • 2006 Neve & Glitz
    • 2008 The Fuwa/Friendlies
    • 2010 Sumi, Quatchi & Miga
    • 2012 Mandeville & Wenlock
    • 2014 Mishka, Snow Leopard & Snow Bunny
    • Other (specify)

Mascots are creepy...but UNOFFICIALLY. Fatso the Fat arse Wombat stands out for 2000.

Weren't they actually snatching them off athletes at some medal ceremonies? Not offical merchandise blahdeblah?

Put this down to recency-bias, but Mishka was great in Sochi. The bear was everywhere, greating the crowds, cheering on the teams.... heck, even had a great role in the closing ceremony.

When did they finally name him/her? So "Mishka" was a brown bear, like the 1980 Misha; but there was also a white polar bear mascot prancing around at the various venues. Couldn't they even get that right -- or was that the two-faced nature of Vladimir already showing itself???

When did they finally name him/her? So "Mishka" was a brown bear, like the 1980 Misha; but there was also a white polar bear mascot prancing around at the various venues. Couldn't they even get that right -- or was that the two-faced nature of Vladimir already showing itself???

I don't know if it was official (I have doubts that it was), but towards the end of Sochi they started referring to the polar bear in some of the coverage as Mishka - before, it seemed they were all just "un-named mascots".

Mishka was a white polar bear. Ziaka was the rabbit. I don't think they ever came up a name for the stupid Leopard that everybody not named Vladimir Putin hated. Yes, I'm embarassed to know this. Not half as embarrased as I am in admitting I used to know which Fuwa is which.

PS - Tony - the London mascots? Worst. Ever.

PPS - No wait, I had burned Izzy out of my memory. Equally horid. The post avoid is corret. Other than Fatso, the English langauge hosts haven't done so good with mascots.

W&M worked much better in animated form than they did in the furry man-suits. But they were quite good fun in and around the venues nevertheless, and they were used well in other ways (I loved the painted W&Ms around London):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.334326499992002.75796.128155803942407&type=1

The worst for me were the uncooked sausages served up in 2004. For a Games that got so much right design-wise they were a horror.

My favourite is not listed--- Waldi from Munich 1972. A classic - and so beautifully German and in synch with the rest of the 1972 branding and colours.

waldi-munich.jpg

____

Honourable mention to 1980 Mischa and 1984 Sam. The rest are either too Disney or too abstract and/or evil- although Nagano's Snowlets are probably my favourite of the Winter mascots.

Archived