Oly Fan Survey: Mascots

GamesBids Olympic Fan Survey: Mascots  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What's you favourite Olympic Games mascot?

• 1980 Mischa
    • 1984 Vucko
    • 1984 Sam
    • 1988 Hidy & Howdy
    • 1988 Hodori
    • 1992 Magique
    • 1994 Cobi
    • 1994 Kristin & Hakon
    • 1996 Izzy
    • 1998 The Snowlets
    • 2000 Ollie, Syd & Millie
    • 2002 Powder, Copper & Coal
    • 2004 Athena & Phevos
    • 2006 Neve & Glitz
    • 2008 The Fuwa/Friendlies
    • 2010 Sumi, Quatchi & Miga
    • 2012 Mandeville & Wenlock
    • 2014 Mishka, Snow Leopard & Snow Bunny
    • Other (specify)

It's the one eye. Who in their right mind could think that a single staring spooky eye is going to be appealing?

But they were quite good fun in and around the venues nevertheless, and they were used well in other ways (I loved the painted W&Ms around London):

Yeah, they only really became cute to me when they came out in their range of outfits - bobbies and beefeaters and punks and so. That's when they started becoming collectable, and even I started thinking, whistfully zipping through the Stratford Olympic Store for the umpteenth time, if I should pick me up a set of the custumed figurines.... I resisted.

001ec94a1d8b1154e07f0c.jpg

I don't know if it was official (I have doubts that it was), but towards the end of Sochi they started referring to the polar bear in some of the coverage as Mishka - before, it seemed they were all just "un-named mascots".

The tv broadcast we had here in New Zealand (may have been a generic OB commentary as it included Brits, Kiwis and Aussies) mentioned in the closing the mascots were Strelka (Hare), Barsik (Leopard) and Polus (Polar Bear).

I've struggled to find reference to this online, but found this here that seems to confirm it. I guess it was something mainly done for the Russian population.

http://www.411.spb.ru/images/Sochi%20Olympic%20Symbols.pdf

I did not, thanks for pointing that out...Russia's creative points just went down by 20 in my book.

I don't know why you should feel like that. Bear is such an iconic part of the Russian, and the whole boreal forest zone's folklore, that there's bound to be different ways and subtle expressions to call it. As Mischa and Mishka are also diminutive forms for a male name, I find them perfectly good names for a mascot bear. Inventing something totally different would feel IMO even a bit forced, although I must state that I don't claim to be any expert of Russian culture.

I don't know why you should feel like that. Bear is such an iconic part of the Russian, and the whole boreal forest zone's folklore, that there's bound to be different ways and subtle expressions to call it. As Mischa and Mishka are also diminutive forms for a male name, I find them perfectly good names for a mascot bear. Inventing something totally different would feel IMO even a bit forced, although I must state that I don't claim to be any expert of Russian culture.

I guess Vladie would've been uhmmm...over-kill?

• 2 weeks later...

Have a soft spot for Sam the eagle 1984. My first Olympics experience of note. Disappointed that he didn't come back for 1996...Instead we got Izzy, what the fk was that?..truly the worst, down there with the games themselves.

Archived