Oly Fan Survey: Summer Logos

GamesBids Olympic Fan Survey: Summer Logos  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Summer Olympic Games Logo?

• 1948 London
    • 1952 Helsinki
    • 1956 Melbourne
    • 1960 Rome
    • 1964 Tokyo
    • 1968 Mexico City
    • 1972 Munich
    • 1976 Montreal
    • 1980 Moscow
    • 1984 Los Angeles
    • 1988 Seoul
    • 1992 Barcelona
    • 1996 Atlanta
    • 2000 Sydney
    • 2004 Athens
    • 2008 Beijing
    • 2012 London
    • 2016 Rio de Janeiro
    • Other (specify)
  2. 2. What's your favourite Winter Olympic Games logo?

• 1952 Oslo
    • 1956 Cortina d'Ampezzo
    • 1960 Squaw Valley
    • 1964/1976 Innsbruck
    • 1968 Grenoble
    • 1972 Sapporo
    • 1980 Lake Placid
    • 1984 Sarajevo
    • 1988 Calgary
    • 1992 Albertville
    • 1994 Lillehammer
    • 1998 Nagano
    • 2002 Salt Lake City
    • 2006 Torino
    • 2010 Vancouver
    • 2014 Sochi
    • 2018 PyeongChang
    • Other (specify)

I like the simple elegance of Tokyo. Also the Mexico City look has always been one of my favorites although the logo is perhaps a bit underwhelming. Overall I consider the mid to late 1960's as the aesthetically most pleasing decade. I like also both Seoul and LA, the 1980's was a sort of a hit or miss in terms of style but I think it produced some nice results in sports design, certainly way better than the 90's which was simply forgettable overall, even if Barcelona is classy. You can't deny Athens' elegance either even if the execution is somewhat predictable.

Why is Rio ahead? It's just ok. It was plagiarized (I know that hasn't been legally decided, but come on). Plus, I gotta say it looks like a pacifier to me.

I LOVED Rio's bid logo, but the Games logo is nothing special.

What was the "inspiration" for Rios final logo?

U mean the current one? It's the Christ the Redeemer statue linked with a "circle of life and brotherhood" thingie.

I don't mean that BS, Athens said it was plagiarized so what was the plagiarized art? The same could be said for London's 'Glorious' logo as well.

Really? Hmm, not a fan of Salt Lake, I just love the look and design of Nagano.

I don't get the apparent love for Salt Lake. It's logo, to me, is not meaningfully distinguishable from Sarajevo or much different than the other stylized snowflake designs.

It's not even the best logo for a winter games in the US. Lake Placid 1980 (when depicted with the rings, rather than "USA"), is a much sharper mark...

image_logo_1980_lakeplacid1.png

Favourite Summer logo: Sydney 2000. While it is clearly informed by Barcelona's - you simply cannot look at that table of logos and not be drawn to the cool, exciting and fresh appearance of the 2000 logo. Symbolic and very Australian in so many ways. In all the other polls I haven't put Sydney 2000 first for anything (so bias aside) this is the no.1 logo in my opinion.

Honourable mention to Rio 2016 (I like the relationship with the Paralympic logo, interesting that its the first '3d' logo, also that it also harks back to more simple and straightforward times pre-Sochi/London); Atlanta 1996 (so postmodern, handsome, grand and Olympic); Barcelona 1992 (simple and cool); Los Angeles 1984 (America in the fast lane!) and Tokyo 1964 (simple and oh so powerful! Wouldn't mind at all if they did an Innsbruck and used it again in 2020) .

Favourite Winter logo: Squaw Valley 1960. I didn't expect to vote this way, but it really caught my eye looking at it compared to all the other logos in its era. It was well ahead of its time, and still looks fresh, modern and very Winter Olympic.

Honourable mention to: PyeongChang 2018 (I'm of the opinion it will grow with an extremely successful brand - give it a chance); Vancouver 2010 (eye catching and colourful); Lillehammer 1994 (ethereal); and Sapporo 1972 ( love the relationship with the Tokyo 1964 logo)

Athens for me. The concept of *Athens embraces the world* works really well, it has texture, and it reminds me of Greece (much like the Sydney logo reminds me of Australia).

For winter it's abit tougher. It's tight between Lillehammer and Nagano. Im going to go for Lillehammer, it managed to capture the magical northern lights and the Norwegian location so well.

I went with Athens and Salt Lake City. For summer, I also considered Barcelona and Seoul. To me, Sydney ripped off Barcelona, Beijing ripped off Sydney, and Rio ripped them all off and made their logo a pacifier to boot. Or maybe it's just a plain ol' nipple. And London is an absolute train wreck. Winter has quite a few good ones. Vancouver was probably my second choice there.

• 2 weeks later...

Mexico 68, but with the mighty Aztec Sundial above it.

Each to their own though, easy to offend if you put another's down.

All are great in their own way.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived