Oly Fan Survey: Summer Logos

GamesBids Olympic Fan Survey: Summer Logos  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Summer Olympic Games Logo?

• 1948 London
    • 1952 Helsinki
    • 1956 Melbourne
    • 1960 Rome
    • 1964 Tokyo
    • 1968 Mexico City
    • 1972 Munich
    • 1976 Montreal
    • 1980 Moscow
    • 1984 Los Angeles
    • 1988 Seoul
    • 1992 Barcelona
    • 1996 Atlanta
    • 2000 Sydney
    • 2004 Athens
    • 2008 Beijing
    • 2012 London
    • 2016 Rio de Janeiro
    • Other (specify)
  2. 2. What's your favourite Winter Olympic Games logo?

• 1952 Oslo
    • 1956 Cortina d'Ampezzo
    • 1960 Squaw Valley
    • 1964/1976 Innsbruck
    • 1968 Grenoble
    • 1972 Sapporo
    • 1980 Lake Placid
    • 1984 Sarajevo
    • 1988 Calgary
    • 1992 Albertville
    • 1994 Lillehammer
    • 1998 Nagano
    • 2002 Salt Lake City
    • 2006 Torino
    • 2010 Vancouver
    • 2014 Sochi
    • 2018 PyeongChang
    • Other (specify)

Seems to be a lot of antsiness on the board lately... or maybe it's always ever been so.

Anyway, let's try and lighten the mood. Or spark even more squabbles. At the very least, indulge and embrace our Olympic geekdom, and debate the great Olympic fripperies we all so passionately critique and compare constantly. This is all going to be highly subjective and emotive and differences of opinion are expected and encouraged.

First up, logos:

Summer Games Logos (1948-2016)

2b5k.jpg

Winter games logos (1952-2018)

cezi.jpg

Of the classics, I've always had a fondness for Rome, and Mexico's captures it's time better than any other IMO. Atlanta's I think was a really clever way to acknowledge the centennial. But my all time fave is Athens - but they always did have an advantage in linking their cultural identity with the Olympics.

Winter, Lillehammer's always catches my eye.

Albertville always looked like the Danish flag to me.

Me too. I've never been able to look at it and not think of Denmark.

Jeez, PyeongChang's is just pure ugly.

Edited by Sir Rols

Barcelona. Pure class.

Honorable mention to LA.

As for Winter, I'm not sure anything holds a candle to Salt Lake City.

Albertville always looked like the Danish flag to me.

Really? Hmm, not a fan of Salt Lake, I just love the look and design of Nagano.

I love Sydney's. Not only because i'm an Aussie but the use various Aussie culture such as the boomerang and opera house to create a running man is just awesome to me.

And yeah I agree, Pyeongchang might be the worst ever, and I mean London's logo is known as Lisa Simpson giving head.

I liked Pyeongchang's bidding logo, I wish sometimes cities would stick with the bidding one (or are they not allowed to?)

Perhaps if you wanted a 5th poll you could do one on the bidding logos. But that would be a big list haha.

Perhaps if you wanted a 5th poll you could do one on the bidding logos. But that would be a big list haha.

Yeah, and it's not like they're part of the Games branding really.

I think a Look of the Games poll should be the next one.

Chain Rols back to his laptop! He's slacking!

Love Barcelona, loathe London.

As for Winter, I have soft spots for the two Canadian ones.

How can you loathe London's logo? It's a brilliant piece of art, better then Vancouver's, Sochi's and PyeongChang's.

You said it yourself, it's art. Different people have different tastes.

The Summer decision is hard. I've plumped for London even though I never thought it lived up to its potential, but could quite easily have gone for Athens too. Different ends of the spectrum in terms of design but both brought something unique to the party. If Rols does a Look of the Summer Games poll I'll be torn between these two for that as well.

For Winter I think SLC's is hard to beat as a modern take on a classic idea. Honorable mention to Sochi's, which I'll continue to stand up for as a very neat bit of design. Fails for Vancouver and Pyeonchang in this category.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

You said it yourself, it's art. Different people have different tastes.

The Summer decision is hard. I've plumped for London even though I never thought it lived up to its potential, but could quite easily have gone for Athens too. Different ends of the spectrum in terms of design but both brought something unique to the party. If Rols does a Look of the Summer Games poll I'll be torn between these two for that as well.

For Winter I think SLC's is hard to beat as a modern take on a classic idea. Honorable mention to Sochi's, which I'll continue to stand up for as a very neat bit of design. Fails for Vancouver and Pyeonchang in this category.

Although I disagree with you, I have to like your comment for the shear fact of 'I have spoken' video. Lol, I love Family Guy.

How can you loathe London's logo? It's a brilliant piece of art, better then Vancouver's, Sochi's and PyeongChang's.

Well, if you consider Lisa Simpson blowing Bart Simpson art.

• Like 3

I disagree on Vancouvers, it was really easy to translate into different forms of media and had a very 'fun' look to it. Also Tony remember what I PM you, that comment you made could fit into things to avoid. It's an assault on his opinion and it makes it hard for people to like you. I understand London is your hometown and your proud of it, but we all have our opinions.

I disagree on Vancouvers, it was really easy to translate into different forms of media and had a very 'fun' look to it. Also Tony remember what I PM you, that comment you made could fit into things to avoid. It's an assault on his opinion and it makes it hard for people to like you. I understand London is your hometown and your proud of it, but we all have our opinions.

Of course. Fair enough.

I think a Look of the Games poll should be the next one.

Chain Rols back to his laptop! He's slacking!

Give me a few days and I'll probably get onto it - look was one I'd though of, along with main stadiums and torches. Have to break the chains an venture out into the wider world today, though.

It would be interesting to see the results if we could have weighted votes. It's a little tough to pick just one.

And I just have to say it: London's logo is ART???!!! Are you kidding me? It's the year in really ugly geometric numbers. Someone has a VERY generous definition of what constitutes "art." IMO, London and Pyeongchang are tied as the worst logos ever.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see the results if we could have weighted votes. It's a little tough to pick just one.

And I just have to say it: London's logo is ART???!!! Are you kidding me? It's the year in really ugly geometric numbers. Someone has a VERY generous definition of what constitutes "art." IMO, London and Pyeongchang are tied as the worst logos ever.

Londons logo does well with branding, the look of the London Games were great. With that said it still does not make it the best logo.

Because I loathe it in all its pink ugliness. Full stop.

I'm not giving you a 20 page explanation why, it's simply my taste. Just like it's YOUR sacred London, which clouds all your views and don't you even deny it.