Amsterdam's 2028 Olympic Ambitions "Put to sleep" but could be revived later. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/1019416-amsterdam-s-2028-olympic-ambitions-put-to-sleep-but-could-be-revived-later - Source: Inside the Games.

Yet another potential city which abandons the ship. Then again, Netherlands, despite being one of the most frequent competitors in Olympics, has rejected the idea of hosting them for a very long time (this seems to be the case with most of northern Europe).

And of course, all the waste of money that was Sochi just worsened things. :unsure:

Have any of you actually been to Amsterdam? It's a wonderful city, especially during the summer when the days are long and the rare occasions when the weather is nice. But can you really see Amsterdam having and/or building all the infrastructure needed to host an Olympics? Not so much. Closer to the city center, they're certainly not going to build anything significant. On the outskirts of town and/or where the stadium is, maybe they put some stuff there, but how many white elephants are we looking at to host an Amsterdam Olympics?

So yea, maybe we shouldn't be all that surprised Amsterdam's Olympic ambitions have been put to sleep. I'd hardly chalk this one up to the economic realities of Western Europe that have knocked out so many other cities/countries. This is merely a city that probably isn't well set up to host an Olympics pulling out of the discussion. All things considered, it's probably a very smart move on their part.

I hate Amsterdam, but given that it's basically a huge Metro Ams-Hague-Rot, they could easily build venues that can be sustainable, if they don't try too hard for a central cluster concept.

Then again, traffic in the Netherlands is a nightmare, and the more spread out the venues, the worse it would get.

Holland have two Cities that have shown early, unofficial interest in future Summer Olympics and that's Amsterdam and Rotterdam. I personally believe if Holland do Bid in the future, Amsterdam would always have the edge. They could Renovate and Expand the Existing Olympic Stadium, while respecting the History of the Stadium. Even though an 80,000 Seater Olympic Stadium is not needed after the Games, they could expand Temporarily to 80,000, then downscale to the existing 23,000 Seats. So yes, they haven't completely ruled out Bidding, but at this moment in time, they say no to Bidding for 2028.

Holland have two Cities that have shown early, unofficial interest in future Summer Olympics and that's Amsterdam and Rotterdam. I personally believe if Holland do Bid in the future, Amsterdam would always have the edge. They could Renovate and Expand the Existing Olympic Stadium, while respecting the History of the Stadium. Even though an 80,000 Seater Olympic Stadium is not needed after the Games, they could expand Temporarily to 80,000, then downscale to the existing 23,000 Seats. So yes, they haven't completely ruled out Bidding, but at this moment in time, they say no to Bidding for 2028.

U just like creating these 'dream' Olympic cities, Tony, even if they have NO realistic relation whatsoever to anything actual on the ground. :rolleyes:

In defense of Tony here, the idea may be a little crazy, but he's not the only one who thought it..

Temporary extension Olympic Stadium Amsterdam

Don't know how they'd pull it off though. The footprint of the stadium isn't exactly very big. It's bounded by residential buildings on 1 side, a river on 2 sides. So that seems like too big of a project to make it work, especially if it's temporary.

Then again, Netherlands, despite being one of the most frequent competitors in Olympics, has rejected the idea of hosting them for a very long time (this seems to be the case with most of northern Europe).

And of course, all the waste of money that was Sochi just worsened things. :unsure:

I don't think they've always rejected the notion bidding for a long time - for year's (all through my ten years on GamsBids), they'd been saying 2028 was their strategic goal/plan, and had never made any intention of bidding on earlier editions - apart from Rotterdam's YOG bid.

Ever notice that when someone brings up a stadium idea, Baron gets all antsy about where the warm up track is going to be?

It's a fair enough concern though. One stadium with no warm-up track near it, or space to put one, doesn't cut it in what's required.,

Yes of course. But it doesn't appear that Atlanta's was anywhere near the stadium?

I found this from the NY Times:

ATLANTA 1996: 30 DAYS TO GO;Track Trials Raise a Host of Questions
By JERE LONGMAN

Published: June 19, 1996

Some athletes have complained that while other stadiums have an adjacent warm-up track, the Olympic Stadium warm-up track is a half-mile away. Athletes must leave the heat of the warm-up track, spend 10 minutes in an air-conditioned bus to the stadium, then return to the heat. Some have said they feel this climate change is partly responsible for the number of muscle cramps that have occurred during the trials....

Link

Yes of course. But it doesn't appear that Atlanta's was anywhere near the stadium?

I wrote about it before. There was actually an empty track like 4 blocks away from Olympic/Turner Field which could've been developed as the warm-up track. But they decided to pour the money instead at the track at Atlanta-Clark University; rather the one w/in walking distance.

Look at the map here... https://www.google.com/maps/@33.734574,-84.3840103,17z

go 5 blocks east; and Cheney Stadium is there-and you can see a track...which I swear was already there in 1996. I ended up parking by there once and just walked to the stadium. I don't know why that wasn't turned into the warm-up track. But then again, they didn't ask me.

I wrote about it before. There was actually an empty track like 4 blocks away from Olympic/Turner Field which could've been developed as the warm-up track. But they decided to pour the money instead at the track at Atlanta-Clark University college; rather the one w/in walking distance.

Look at the map here... https://www.google.com/maps/@33.734574,-84.3840103,17z

go 5 blocks east; and there is Cheney Stadium there-and you can see a track...which I swear was already there in 1996. I ended up parking by there once and just walked to the stadium. I don't know why that wasn't turned into the warm-up track. But then again, they didn't ask me.

They should have, that whole area around the track could have become something. Looking at it further I would go as far as to say that the whole area could have become an Olympic Park of sorts. You had Olympic Stadium, Atlanta-Fulton, tons of parking lots, and the park you linked. The only thing dividing the main stadium and the park were a few houses and such. They could have torn those down and constructed a few temporary venues along some nice park land. After the games make something special for the city, maybe a life-style center. Atlanta had potential their team just sucked at unlocking all of it.

The days of a city like Amsterdam being able to host a Summer Olympics are long gone. The Games have grown beyond what a city like Amsterdam can handle. Back when the city bid for the 1992 Olympics, they could've pulled. The European Games would be a much more attractive and feasible option for a city like Amsterdam or Rotterdam.

The days of a city like Amsterdam being able to host a Summer Olympics are long gone. The Games have grown beyond what a city like Amsterdam can handle. Back when the city bid for the 1992 Olympics, they could've pulled. The European Games would be a much more attractive and feasible option for a city like Amsterdam or Rotterdam.

What size would you say is the minimum for the games now? Amsterdam has about 3.5 million in its metro area. By North American standards that's the size of Seattle or Minneapolis, which I think everyone agrees is far too small. But what about the 5-6 million sized urban area. IE Rome, Berlin, Philadelphia or Atlanta. Are they now too small as well?

What size would you say is the minimum for the games now? Amsterdam has about 3.5 million in its metro area. By North American standards that's the size of Seattle or Minneapolis, which I think everyone agrees is far too small. But what about the 5-6 million sized urban area. IE Rome, Berlin, Philadelphia or Atlanta. Are they now too small as well?

It's not so much the magic number of a 2.5 million metro area capable of staging a SOG, but he's thinking more physical space. The Netherlands is one of the densest societies on earth...and I think they would really be hard-pressed to stage a 21st century SOGs. They could push it, but it will be tight.

Archived