All Team England news for Glasgow 2014 and the build up to Glasgow 2014 is right here. Discuss.

Double Gold for England at the Commonwealth Water Polo Championships. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/aquatics/1019438-double-gold-for-england-at-commonwealth-water-polo-championships Source: Inside the Games.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Come on England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Showed up half way through the party man...England doing very well keeping Australia in check and have a look at Scotland! That's your sweepstakes team.

Team GB very much on top!

England on top of the Medals table for the first time in ages.

28 years to be precise. Only 3 countries have ever topped the medal table, the same 3 countries that regularly occupy the top 3 places:

Australia = 12 times (1938 Sydney, 1950 Auckland, 1962 Perth, 1970 Edinburgh, 1974 Christchurch, 1982 Brisbane, 1990 Auckland, 1994 Victoria, 1998 Kuala Lumpur, 2002 Manchester, 2006 Melbourne and 2010 Delhi).

England = 7 times (1930 Hamilton, 1934 London, 1954 Vancouver, 1958 Cardiff, 1966 Kingston, 1986 Edinburgh and 2014 Glasgow).

Canada = 1 time (1978 Edmonton).

Funny how England topped the table on 2 out of the 3 occasions the Games were held in Scotland! ;)

Congrats to team England on a great performance.

(But don't expect to win the CWG Ashes again in the Gold Coast :P )

Congrats to team England on a great performance.

(But don't expect to win the CWG Ashes again in the Gold Coast :P )

Why ever not? ;)

I expect we're set up for a great clash of the rivals at GC. England will be keen to stick the knife in on Oz soil, we'll b ready to do what it takes to make sure it doesn't happen non home ground.

I expect GB to finish above us again at Rio, but a very close contest in Queensland.

I expect we're set up for a great clash of the rivals at GC. England will be keen to stick the knife in on Oz soil, we'll b ready to do what it takes to make sure it doesn't happen non home ground.

I expect GB to finish above us again at Rio, but a very close contest in Queensland.

I love how the Aussies EXPECT to top the medal table and see it as some sort of national disgrace if they don't! It's as if it's a strange inversion of the natural order! ;)

But that's a tribute to their sporting prowess and ambition and their past success at these Games. I too fully expect them to be waiting impatiently to restore that 'natural order' in sunny Queensland come 2018. England are going to have the fight of their lives if they want to repeat. They'll need to keep up their current form and plug a few holes that appeared in Glasgow (eg. cycling and team sports)!

They both seem determined to bring out the best in each other. Sporting rivalry at its best? :)

Archived