Survey Shows Less Support For Oslo 2022 Olympic Bid

GBModerator

This will be the end to the Oslo Norway bid I think the Norway want 3 clear polls to where they will go it is now clear the people of Norway dose not want it and with an Conservative populist government of Norway, This will impact and tell the government that the people are not for it, Krakow Poland bid looks like it falling apart too and Ukraine is in a civil war right now and now this race is shaping out to be Almaty Kazakhstan Vrs Beijing China. Almaty Kazakhstan is now likely to win this a new location a new region for the Olympics movement to go to and will be low cost games as well Beijing already hosted the games 7 years ago in 2015 time so the IOC not likely to go back to the same city in under 14 years they only did that once with Innsbruck Austria which the Denver rejected hosting the 1976 winter games.

My, my. What a web the IOC has weaved for itself nowadays. They're gonna be left with dealing with the Chinese again, whether they like it or not.

Or go to Kazakhstan Kazakhstan would put on an great Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games they hosted an great Asian Winter Games in 2011 Almaty Kazakhstan is the heart of Eurasia and is the gateway to Asia from Europe it will be the 1st games in Central Asia and close by to South Asia it will also help the Olympic movement in grow grow winter sports in a new region of 50 million people, Kazakhstan has an strong stable government with an booming economy.

Almaty will put on an low cost games with most of the stuff in place for the winter games Almaty is an up and coming winter sporting hub it will be an amazing games Almaty Kazakhstan 2022.

Depends what the government is minded to do. If they press ahead with the bid anyway, and the opposition in Oslo of the apathetic type rather than the hostile type that will go out and make a noise about the whole thing, then it could end up like Tokyo 2020. Tokyo's starting point was, I think 45% support.

But if the government is using these polls as their get-out, then we wave goodbye to another strong candidate.

Or go to Kazakhstan Kazakhstan would put on an great Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games they hosted an great Asian Winter Games in 2011 Almaty Kazakhstan is the heart of Eurasia and is the gateway to Asia from Europe it will be the 1st games in Central Asia and close by to South Asia it will also help the Olympic movement in grow grow winter sports in a new region of 50 million people, Kazakhstan has an strong stable government with an booming economy.

Almaty will put on an low cost games with most of the stuff in place for the winter games Almaty is an up and coming winter sporting hub it will be an amazing games Almaty Kazakhstan 2022.

Totally disagree. This is your subjective, embellishing opinion. It's been talked about ad-naseum all over these boards & no need to be rehashing it every time someone doesn't agree about Almaty.

Depends what the government is minded to do. If they press ahead with the bid anyway, and the opposition in Oslo of the apathetic type rather than the hostile type that will go out and make a noise about the whole thing, then it could end up like Tokyo 2020. Tokyo's starting point was, I think 45% support.

But if the government is using these polls as their get-out, then we wave goodbye to another strong candidate.

I dunno. Public opinion is moving the wrong direction and it's getting media attention. That puts the government in a tough spot. They are accountable to the people of Norway, not the IOC.

I think there may be a cultural difference where Japan is concerned. There seems to be more respect for authority, whereas westerners are usually clamoring to make their voices heard. In my mind this would suggest that a massive swing in public opinion is more possible in Japan than Norway.

Plus, look at the continental trends. "China and Korea just hosted, we should too." Versus "Germany, Switzerland and Sweden all concluded the Games were a bad idea. Our own people don't want them. Maybe we should pay attention."

The Norwegian government can't argue the Games will bring Norway money. They can't argue that it's time for Norway to join the Olympic movement. All they can say is, "This will be a super fun party and we're almost guaranteed the chance to host it if we stay in the race. We think the fun is worth the expense." I don't think the Norwegian people will swallow that. Only 39% in favor of the bid is really problematic.

That's why I said it depends what the government is minded to do. I really don't think the IOC would turn down Oslo in this race, so it's in the government's hands.

I agree that, given the chance, the IOC will elect Oslo.

I just don't see how the government can justify moving ahead at this point. How would they explain that decision to the populace? Barring a dramatic shift, it's looking to me like the die may be cast.

This could also have repercussions on 2024. If there aren't Summer or Winter Games in Europe during the intervening period, a European candidate could be almost impossible to resist.

Of course it's possible no Europeans will bid for 2024 either.....

This could also have repercussions on 2024. If there aren't Summer or Winter Games in Europe during the intervening period, a European candidate could be almost impossible to resist.

Of course it's possible no Europeans will bid for 2024 either.....

BAKU 2024!

Seriously, as I posted elsewhere sone days ago, all of those potential European bids have tough challenges to overcome, financial, public support etc. I believe in Rome/Paris/Berlin once they actually do put forward a bid, not a second earlier.

1,000 is rather small for a survey sample, however, the results mirror other public polls in Norway with disapproval hovering around the 60% mark. That's a hefty number. There's still time for the Norwegians to change it but they'll need a massive PR campaign to do so. If opposition was closer to 50 percent or in the upper 40s with more undecideds, I'd say they'd have a much better chance at swaying the public.

If it stays near 60% or goes up, I don't see the government giving the Oslo bid the funding to go forward and risk political backlash at the voting booth. They should take note of what happens in the U.S. when the government spends money on something the public is opposed to initially and by wide margins.

1,000 is rather small for a survey sample

No it's not. You get a 95 % accuracy rate with a sample of 1,000 people regardless of the size of the population. No matter whether the population is 5 million, or 500 million, a sample of 1,000 people will give you a 95 % accuracy rate.

No it's not. You get a 95 % accuracy rate with a sample of 1,000 people regardless of the size of the population. No matter whether the population is 5 million, or 500 million, a sample of 1,000 people will give you a 95 % accuracy rate.

For a country the size of Norway I would say 9,000 is more acceptable, you never know what kind of people you are gathering.

For a country the size of Norway I would say 9,000 is more acceptable, you never know what kind of people you are gathering.

A professional institue carrying out a survey sure knows. They don't just pick random people off the street but statistical samples.

In Germany, 16 times the size of Norway, the same 1000 size sample is used for the weekly survey on party preferences, for example. Apart from the usual error margins in such surveys, they're usually not far off eventual election tesults.

A professional institue carrying out a survey sure knows. They don't just pick random people off the street but statistical samples.

In Germany, 16 times the size of Norway, the same 1000 size sample is used for the weekly survey on party preferences, for example. Apart from the usual error margins in such surveys, they're usually not far off eventual election tesults.

Results, obviously.

Go to some statistics class, and you'll soon learn that you're completely wrong.

Archived