Hamburg 2024

Also, turns out that Bach

I just heard that everything has been a rumour yet - here the link to the press conference, which will start in view seconds:

DOSB-press conference

Let's see what happens...

Also, turns out that Bach wasn't present for the meeting...

And the choice appears to have been carried unanimously...though after a tough discussion - they are also talking about the opinions expressed by the 32 national federations: 18 NFs for Hamburg, 11 NFs for Berlin and 4 NFs expressed their choice for both.

It would appear that the Agenda 2020 process and the opportunity to create a new Olympic centre in northern Germany and northern Europe played a decisive role in selecting Hamburg. From the statement of the DOSB executive, it appears that they are seeing the vote in Frankfurt as a foregone conclusion...

Congratulations to Hamburg! I was kind of hoping for Berlin, but I am very enthusiastic to see what Hamburg will bring to the table. Hamburg is also a beautiful city so there's not doubt in my mind that Hamburg will have a good bid.

• Like 1

It was made clear at the beginning that Hamburg will bid for 2024 and 2028 for the Olympic as well as for the Paralympics - Hörmann emphasized that Germany shouldn't focus on the other cities, which might bid also, but to bid with the city, which fits better with the Agenda

... it is

H A M B U R G

Congrats!

So...you'll be in a Summer bid race and you're not going to be an impartial observer keeping things in check as usual. I hope @Sir Rols is ready to step and separate you if you get into a fist-fight with the Bostonian contingent! :P

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 3

Hörmann emphasized that the Olympic Games with its Olympic Park would fit in the general urban planning of Hamburg

It seems that Hamburg was also chosen because of the greater level of public support vis-à-vis Berlin.

Still, Euro 2024 is the elephant in the room. Did they address that?

He briefly addressed it by affirming that the German Football Federation has given its assurances regarding the hosting of the Olympic Games in Germany. On a personal note, whilst a major football fan myself, I really think that the Olympic bid needs to be prioritized over a European Championship. After all, we had a highly successful 2006 World Cup - we don't really need another football tournament at the expense of the Olympic Games...

I don't quite understand this two-step decision process - it's anti-climatic and unnecessary in my view (one could as well have made the bid presentations and consulations in the plenary session of DOSB). But however, I'm glad for Hamburg - it would be a great place for Olympic Games, particularly due to its location by the water (that makes Olympic Games always more atmospheric in my view, remembering especially Sydney) and due to its traditional gateway function to the world. It will need patience, though, since Germany is hampered by the EURO 2024 bid. And I'm not even sure that a victory by Boston is a foregone conclusion. It could as well be a European winning city (especially after a ten-year break for Europe in hosting Olympic Games), and then Hamburg would need even much more patience...

• Like 1

Congrats!

So...you'll be in a Summer bid race and you're not going to be an impartial observer keeping things in check as usual. I hope @Sir Rols is ready to step and separate you if you get into a fist-fight with the Bostonian contingent! :P

Well if fights occur I'm backing Hamburg! :P

All of that said, I'm holding my breath for the public referendum...I'll only believe it once Hamburg citizens vote "Yes" to the Olympic bid and the bid exec presented consists of real professionals à la Seb Coe. Until then, I'll reserve judgment (even though I'm very excited by the possibility of Hamburg hosting the Games!).

He briefly addressed it by affirming that the German Football Federation has given its assurances regarding the hosting of the Olympic Games in Germany. On a personal note, whilst a major football fan myself, I really think that the Olympic bid needs to be prioritized over a European Championship. After all, we had a highly successful 2006 World Cup - we don't really need another football tournament at the expense of the Olympic Games...

Yeah, agreed. If Euro 2024 happens, it will be five big football tournaments since the last Olympics hosting (two Euros, two WC, one women's WC).

• Like 1

I don't quite understand this two-step decision process - it's anti-climatic and unnecessary in my view (one could as well have made the bid presentations and consulations in the plenary session of DOSB). But however, I'm glad for Hamburg - it would be a great place for Olympic Games, particularly due to its location by the water (that makes Olympic Games always more atmospheric in my view, remembering especially Sydney) and due to its traditional gateway function to the world. It will need patience, though, since Germany is hampered by the EURO 2024 bid. And I'm not even sure that a victory by Boston is a foregone conclusion. It could as well be a European winning city (especially after a ten-year break for Europe in hosting Olympic Games), and then Hamburg would need even much more patience...

Seconded on the Boston front - it's not as if Boston is the most irresistible choice the United States could have offered to the world. As already alluded to earlier, I'm not even sure why we have to bid for a EURO of lesser importance than the Olympic Games.

I second that. And one should also not forget that a German city plays host to the EURO already in 2020. That's why I simply don't get a tingling when I hear about the (allegedly) great chances Germany stands in the EURO 2024 race. I would prefer much more if the German FA postponed the EURO bid. It can host that one early enough again, especially now that the tournament has been expanded to four weeks and 24 teams. There are not many potential candidates left for a tournament of that size.

Yes, Hamburg may have to be patient - but provided they get into the Candidate City stage with high technical scores, that sets them up for the future, even if they lose. And hey, if we take the World Cup 2006 decision as a yardstick: everyone expected South Africa to win (especially due to Blatter's thinly-veiled support), but then Germany nabbed it at the last minute...so, you never know.

Why would you find this process "a bit odd"? Which part in particular? You might want to elaborate on this point...

What I mean is if in "practicality" the rest of the members would vote with the executives for the sake to avoid 'loss of face', then what is the point of an additional vote in the first place. To make it seem like the rest have some sort of say in the matter?

When the USOC execs chose Boston, there was no further debate/vote among its constituency. That was the final decision. Just seems like Saturday's vote would be rhetorical in that sense is all I'm saying.

And it looks like I'm not the only one in this thread to think that this process is a bit off.

De Maiziere clearly made Olympic hosting a top government priority. So he should bully DFB to postpone until 2028. Maybe Italy can get Euro 2024 to make up for Rome not winning ;-)

German media seem pretty sure though that Boston has it in the bag already.

What I mean is if in "practicality" the rest of the members would vote with the executives for the sake to avoid 'loss of face', then what is the point of an additional vote in the first place. To make it seem like the rest have some sort of say in the matter?

When the USOC execs chose Boston, there was no further debate/vote among its constituency. That was the final decision. Just seems like Saturday's vote would be rhetorical in that sense is all I'm saying.

And it looks like I'm not the only one in this thread to think that this process is a bit off.

I don't get that part of the process either. But remember, this is Germany, a country whose sports officials once thought it wise to nominate Leipzig...

Seconded on the Boston front - it's not as if Boston is the most irresistible choice the United States could have offered to the world.

While I mostly agree with this assertion, it's also a "location by the water", though. Which makes Games always more "atmospheric", as someone pointed out. In that sense, I think both cities are on par.

Not sure how I feel with Hamburg bidding. I am hoping for a European win for 2024, but I just don't see Hamburg as strong as Berlin. My friend was just in Berlin and by the look of her Instagram and Snapchat, I think it would be so great to see an Olympics there. I'm not saying Hamburg isn't beautiful or anything, I just think it may not have the potential. It feels as though it's on the same playing field as Boston. And if Paris and Durban come in, I don't really see any chance. But we shall wait and see. It's gonna be exciting!

De Maiziere clearly made Olympic hosting a top government priority. So he should bully DFB to postpone until 2028. Maybe Italy can get Euro 2024 to make up for Rome not winning ;-)

German media seem pretty sure though that Boston has it in the bag already.

I don't get that part of the process either. But remember, this is Germany, a country whose sports officials once thought it wise to nominate Leipzig...

Well, the German media aren't exactly the best-informed ones - and certainly not the ones who are particularly known for their proximity or good rapport with the IOC. They might want to ask Paris how the "done deal" worked out for them.

Whilst financially suicidal for them, I believe that if Paris runs, they will be difficult to beat - then again...

• Like 1

Congrats!

I will "delete" all posts which are negative about Hamburg :P;):D:ph34r:

• Like 3