Hamburg 2024

quite frankly, a smaller city that has many of facilities already in place & is trying to come up with a cost effective plan & would also have a lasting legacy, to try & bid for the Olympics, Durban, always seems to get shot down by quite a few around here. Go figure. But we're just going around in circles now, anyway. So..

Well, like I said above. They'll probably "test" that effectiveness with Durban, but for 2032, since the South Africans have already said that they're refraining to try until then. But I don't see the IOC making those seem kind of concessions for anyone else at this point.

Durban has a smaller metropolitan population than even Athens. That would be one heck of a test.

I'd be inclined to go for a "within-range" city (i.e. 5 million metro area population) first to see how well the Agenda 2020 principles work.

Durban has a smaller metropolitan population than even Athens. That would be one heck of a test.

Not by much, though. Durban is 3.4 million, while Athens is 3.7 million. So it's negligible. Plus, let keep in mind what really got the Greeks in trouble in the first place; they lagged in preps & wasted nearly four years bickering among each other, & really didn't get cracking until 2001 when the IOC finally gave the Greeks a stern warning.

Durban is already being pragmatic about this whole process, & once they get the 2022 Commonweatlth Games under their belt, it'll be that more feasible for them. Not to mention that South Africa's population & economy is larger than Greece's. So I wouldn't call that "one heck of a test" in comparison. Especially when the IOC now is pledging to pitch in some themselves under this new 'reform' process.

Durban is not this fantasy land that some of us think that could host the games tomorrow. It really only has an Olympic stadium, convention centre, water polo arena and one indoor arena. Almost every city in the world above 4 million has all of these bar the stadium. If not for the Olympic stadium, Durban would have no chance at winning the games. But they do have a huge advantage because of their location, country, weather, international airport and, as said before, Olympic stadium. They could win it, but would have to have a huge budget to get all the infrastructure ready for the games.

Durban is not this fantasy land that some of us think that could host the games tomorrow. It really only has an Olympic stadium, convention centre, water polo arena and one indoor arena. Almost every city in the world above 4 million has all of these bar the stadium. If not for the Olympic stadium, Durban would have no chance at winning the games. But they do have a huge advantage because of their location, country, weather, international airport and, as said before, Olympic stadium. They could win it, but would have to have a huge budget to get all the infrastructure ready for the games.

They're not trying to host the games tomorrow. They're trying to host in 2032. The vote for that is 10 years away. By that time, they'll have hosted a Commonwealth Games, so they'll have that experience under their belt.

A lot of people expected South Africa to jump into the fray for 2020 following the World Cup. They didn't. They're waiting for an opportunity for when they feel their ready rather than starting to bid in hopes of eventually landing an Olympics down the line. We all know that Durban is less than an ideal city to host the Olympics. But the IOC wants to hold an Olympics in Africa and Durban probably offers them their best opportunity to do so. So if Durban pales in comparison to cities of similar size (and like you said, they have a stadium which many of those cities do not, so that's a big deal), the IOC will probably be more accommodating of them than they would be of a similar city on another continent.

• 2 weeks later...

They're not trying to host the games tomorrow. They're trying to host in 2032. The vote for that is 10 years away. By that time, they'll have hosted a Commonwealth Games, so they'll have that experience under their belt.

A lot of people expected South Africa to jump into the fray for 2020 following the World Cup. They didn't. They're waiting for an opportunity for when they feel their ready rather than starting to bid in hopes of eventually landing an Olympics down the line. We all know that Durban is less than an ideal city to host the Olympics. But the IOC wants to hold an Olympics in Africa and Durban probably offers them their best opportunity to do so. So if Durban pales in comparison to cities of similar size (and like you said, they have a stadium which many of those cities do not, so that's a big deal), the IOC will probably be more accommodating of them than they would be of a similar city on another continent.

I do agree with this. There are many people who see Durban as a city that could win the bid tomorrow. That is what the post was for. But there are many people, like you and me, who see Durban as a city that does need some work to host the Olympics, but if they did they would host a great one.

I'm going to try to direct this thing back to Hamburg. Their plans are ambitious no doubt, but I have to wonder, is there estimated price tag a bit too conservative? And there legacy plans while intriguing, seem fraught with problems. Converting a stadium in housing? I'd like to see how they pull this off. I have a family member who's been a structural engineer for over 20 years and he's said while it's possible, the costs of the conversion, everything from plumbing to rewiring the electricity, and you might as well build a housing compound from scratch. Converting a sports arena to a cruise ship terminal seems a stretch too.

Hamburg has several football clubs. Could FC Saint Pauli use a new stadium?

• 3 weeks later...

17,000 Olympia supporter formed the Olympic Rings here in Hamburg today - by lovely weather...

Some people didn't respect our support of the Games here in Hamburg and tried to flip our message - but we added a "W"!

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius
  • Like 1

The Washington Post wrote an article about our action and there is a video on Facebook about it also

Video on Facebook

Washington Post: Thousands form giant Olympic rings in Hamburg

image-919589-galleryV9-hdhy-919589.jpg

It amazes me at how near-perfect those rings are with little to no practice, when the US had plenty of time to practice theirs for the OC in Atlanta and it was beyond crooked lol.

General assembly of St Pauli FC (2nd level currently)has voted against supporting the bid - against the will of the club's board which wanted a neutral stance. The club is well-known for its left, anti-commercial supporters, and the stadium Millerntor was apparently planned to be the Hockey venue. Not sure what that means for the bid now.

General assembly of St Pauli FC (2nd level currently)has voted against supporting the bid - against the will of the club's board which wanted a neutral stance. The club is well-known for its left, anti-commercial supporters, and the stadium Millerntor was apparently planned to be the Hockey venue. Not sure what that means for the bid now.

Would it have been allowed to be used as a hockey venue for the Olympics? It's an outdoor stadium, and I'm assuming if the long track speed skating venue has to be held in an indoor venue now, the hockey games have to as well.

Temporary hockey venue somewhere I would guess.

Uhm, rather the consequences for the mood in the city ahead of the referendum. Of course they could find another hockey venue somewhere, and the report I saw even mentioned that there was a binding deal between club and bid about the venue use already anyway, so smells like trouble ahead.

Would it have been allowed to be used as a hockey venue for the Olympics? It's an outdoor stadium, and I'm assuming if the long track speed skating venue has to be held in an indoor venue now, the hockey games have to as well.

Summer Games = Field hockey!!

Uhm, rather the consequences for the mood in the city ahead of the referendum. Of course they could find another hockey venue somewhere, and the report I saw even mentioned that there was a binding deal between club and bid about the venue use already anyway, so smells like trouble ahead.

Summer Games = Field hockey!!

lol sorry, I was having a brain fart hahaha I just realized that and someone beat me to the correction.

Well if they can't hold field hockey there they can always hold it at the Adolf-Jäger-Kampfbahn stadium if they haven't already thought of using it for anything. It's in the Altona district, which is a western district of Hamburg. It has a current capacity of 8k and it looks like it could be expandable to make it into an Olympic-capable stadium for field hockey.

Well if they can't hold field hockey there they can always hold it at the Adolf-Jäger-Kampfbahn stadium if they haven't already thought of using it for anything. It's in the Altona district, which is a western district of Hamburg. It has a current capacity of 8k and it looks like it could be expandable to make it into an Olympic-capable stadium for field hockey.

They don’t need a new venue for hockey in Hamburg. St. Pauli and the city of hamburg close a deal before building the new Millerntor stadium. Hamburg pays 5 million euros und gave St. Pauli a financial guarantee for building the new stadium. On the other hand Hamburg gets the right to use the stadium for extraordinary sports events.

pacta sunt servanda

Uhm, rather the consequences for the mood in the city ahead of the referendum

Sorry, I missed your point.

Nevertheless, you said yourself this club is a lefty leaning, anti-establishment club. Why take their vote as representative of anything more than what it is?

Periscope: A Lufthansa B737 was towed by 100 employees for Olympic/Paralympic Games in Hamburg 2024

Hamburg Airport and Lufthansa Technik are towing a Lufthansa B737 for Olympic/Paralympic Games in Hamburg

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

• 2 weeks later...

The referendum is today

NDR - live blog about the referendum (in german)

The polling station will be closed at 6 p.m. (CET) today - the first results shall be announced around 6.30 p.m..

NDR = Norddeutscher Rundfunk (North German Broadcasting Corp.)