The NDR (Public North German Broadcasting corporation with its HQ in Hamburg) commissioned a new representative survey about Olympics in Hamburg at a reliable opinion research centre.

The result was released today - the approval increased from 53 (sep 2014) to 62% (jan 2015)

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Berlin and Hamburg could hold referendums, but in both cases the referendum wouldn't be binding at all - the constitutions of the states (cities) would have to be changed - the DOSB commissioned representative surveys in both cities before their decision. Berlin announced a referendum in 2016 (without a change in the constitution) - in Hamburg is a discussion if the constitution has to be changed...

There won't be a referendum at the state elections in february - but the parties have the Olympic bid in their election program...

NDR: Umfrage: SPD braucht einen Partner

This article is about the state election in february, but there is a passage about the Olympic bid also, since the survey included a question about the Olympics.

That are the results of the survey:

62% support the Olympic Games in Hamburg

34% don't support the Olympic Games in Hamburg

The majority of the "CDU", "SPD" and "Green" voters support the bid.

The half of the "AfD" voters support the bid.

Two thirds of the "Left" voters don't support the bid.

SPD 43%

CDU 22%

Greens 14%

Linke (Left) 8%

AfD 5%

FDP 4%

SPD, CDU and FDP support the bid

Greens would support a bid, when the people agree in a referendum

Linke (Left) doesn't support a bid

AfD wants a survey about the costs and that there is no impact on the harbour.

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

The referendums may be non-binding, but as long as they have a reasonable turnout, any local politician ignoring them would face a really hard time.

And furthermore, how would the IOC be welcoming a bid which has already been rejected by a majority of voters? There's no need to go further, even if a non-binding referendum says NO.

The Munich referendum was non-binding too, by the way, but all officials had made it clear before already that they would not go ahead with bidding if not all four places of voting would approve - in the end, all four of them even disapproved, so that's made it even more obvious there's no future for this.

I think that there will be a referendum, StefanMUC - I wonder why the two cities don't make a referendum before the decision of the DOSB respectively the DOSB waits with it's decision until the two referendums...

• Like 1

Imagine if the DOSB chose Hamburg over Berlin as host, and Hamburg was the only European city bidding for the 2024 Olympics. That would make for a very interesting race, and strengthens the chance of Boston.

Imagine if the DOSB chose Hamburg over Berlin as host, and Hamburg was the only European city bidding for the 2024 Olympics. That would make for a very interesting race, and strengthens the chance of Boston.

You forget that at least Rome will be in there. And Rome you bet will pull that 'If Tokyo's going for Round 2, what about us?' card.

I think that there will be a referendum, StefanMUC - I wonder why the two cities don't make a referendum before the decision of the DOSB respectively the DOSB waits with it's decision until the two referendums...

Yeah, it's a huge gamble. I think the 2022 referendum could have been won if organised together with the Bavarian elections, not the least because of higher turnout. With Hamburg elections coming up, I think it would have been better to hold a vote on bidding then too. Berlin could also organise one relatively quick I guess. I don't get why DOSB wants to nominate a city in March already when that big question mark is out there and still plenty of time until IOC bidding deadline.

You forget that at least Rome will be in there. And Rome you bet will pull that 'If Tokyo's going for Round 2, what about us?' card.

IF Baron IF!

And a confirmation of bidding isn't an actual bid, as many cities have confirmed to bid in the past, but end up not doing so by the time the deadline comes up. And Rome has cancelled their bid before, doesn't mean they, or any other European country, wouldn't do it again.

I don't think that we can count anyone as "in" yet "if" that's the case then. Since none of us here can predict the future & these boards are a lot about "ifs" anyway.

That would be interesting: Rome 1960/Tokyo 1964 - Tokyo 2020/Rome 2024.

That would be interesting: Rome 1960/Tokyo 1964 - Tokyo 2020/Rome 2024.

Exactly. From a still quite Euro-centric crowd and 2024 is just crying for a return to Europe. And only a better Paris bid can derail I think a well thought-out Rome bid.

I like Hamburg bid concept. Well really I kike the look of the stadium they proposed. It reminds me of Tokyo's stafium plan from 2016, how it's kinda in the middle of water.

But I agree if Rome gets pooped out, even with the money saving nature of Agenda 2020, and Paris doesn't even try so we're left with Hamburg as the only Euro city it will be an interesting race. None of the remaining candidates (as far as we know) would be the ones people would immediately name when asked about the country the cities are in.

The race of the underdogs, perhaps

I like Hamburg bid concept. Well really I kike the look of the stadium they proposed. It reminds me of Tokyo's stafium plan from 2016, how it's kinda in the middle of water.

But I agree if Rome gets pooped out, even with the money saving nature of Agenda 2020, and Paris doesn't even try so we're left with Hamburg as the only Euro city it will be an interesting race. None of the remaining candidates (as far as we know) would be the ones people would immediately name when asked about the country the cities are in.

The race of the underdogs, perhaps

lol you said kike. A typo I'm sure.

So if the DOSB decides in March then by then we could see a very interesting group of cities:

• Rome - announced in December
  • Boston - announced in January
  • Paris - plans to announce intentions in February
  • Berlin/Hamburg - March announcement?

I wonder if Bach will secretly pull a Samaranch and get Germany the games...

I'd love to see Germany get the chance to have a 'normal' Games. But I'd also love to see Paris finally do it - not sure which I'd prefer if it comes down to Paris v Germany.

I don't know that's a card they can play. It's certainly something they can use as motivation, although their abrupt departure from the 2020 race when they would have been a strong contender is all the motivation they need.

Exactly. From a still quite Euro-centric crowd and 2024 is just crying for a return to Europe. And only a better Paris bid can derail I think a well thought-out Rome bid.

The IOC wants nothing more right now than for as many European cities to bid as possible. If they have choices, they'll be very happy. All things being equal, I agree that Paris would theoretically be the favorite. There will be some technical merit to these bids though that could swing the balance.

Rome Italy can pull the Vatican City card and a Olympics Mass with the Pope I believe if Berlin Germany and Paris France comes into play it will come down between Rome Italy and Berlin Germany. Paris France has not got anything like the Vatican and is already a two time host. Germany got an great story to it's bid the first games in a United Germany and 35 years after the fall of the Berlin wall, It could be possible it could come down between Rome Italy and Berlin Germany for the hosting rights to the 2024 Summer Games.

Rome Italy can pull the Vatican City card and a Olympics Mass with the Pope I believe if Berlin Germany and Paris France comes into play it will come down between Rome Italy and Berlin Germany. Paris France has not got anything like the Vatican and is already a two time host. Germany got an great story to it's bid the first games in a United Germany and 35 years after the fall of the Berlin wall, It could be possible it could come down between Rome Italy and Berlin Germany for the hosting rights to the 2024 Summer Games.

I see you've started experimenting in stream on consciousness.

But would the IOC want to have mass with a pope that is not Francis? :P He wants to retire in a few years and way before 2024.

Personally I'm pulling for Paris or the German bid, depends on who ends up bidding. If Paris does bid I will probably pull for them.

Gee, can't tell you how much we've all missed these vapid, useless posts of yours. Paris is a 2-time host? Yea, that's a real big problem for them considering the last time they hosted was over 90 years ago