Seems I'm only talking to myself in this thread, but anyway...

I read the other day that Berlin is planning to put the village where the current Tegel airport is, i.e. nearby Olympic Stadium.

That would however require that the neverending story about the new airport does come to an end sooner than later so that Tegel can go out of operation finally.

Seems I'm only talking to myself in this thread, but anyway...

I read the other day that Berlin is planning to put the village where the current Tegel airport is, i.e. nearby Olympic Stadium.

That would however require that the neverending story about the new airport does come to an end sooner than later so that Tegel can go out of operation finally.

I that it is a nice idea. It is good to keep a certain level of compactness and it seems like it would have positive benefits.

If you speak German, you may want to complete the Berlin survey here:

https://www.berlin.de/spiele-in-berlin/befragung/formular.148948.php

Well thanks to the little I know and Google translate I did it.

The big advantage of Hamburg is, that they have public support.

Around 75%

Around 75%

That is always a fantastic advantage, I hope it holds up.

That is the one thing that worries me about a Berlin bid is if it would get enough support.

Around 75%

Source? I'd be very surprised if that was the result of a representative poll in Germany these days...

Call me a pessimist/cynic/etc., but I doubt we'd get a 3/4 majority supporting an Olympic bid at such an early stage.

I heard it on the radio, I think it was a poll made by the "Morgenpost" in Hamburg.

I heard it on the radio, I think it was a poll made by the "Morgenpost" in Hamburg.

Ah, OK. Maybe there's a positive trend, but a tabloid poll might exaggerate that a bit. True test would be a referendum again, for both Berlin and Hamburg.

Ah, OK. Maybe there's a positive trend, but a tabloid poll might exaggerate that a bit. True test would be a referendum again, for both Berlin and Hamburg.

Even though it's necessary I dread it...

There was a representative poll in Hamburg in july 2014, in which 73% support Olympic Games in Hamburg, but at the same time a majority over 50% fear that too much money has to be spend...

The cities have to answer the questionnaire, which was sent by the DOSB to the two cities, until Aug 31st - and the DOSB ordered both cities not to talk in public about their answers...

Today two local newspapers in Berlin and Hamburg (of the same print house) published articles about the Olympic Games in their respective city - there is nothing really new in their articles:

- Hamburg offers compact Games at the water and in the city centre (all venues should be in a circle of 15 km - 31 of 35 venues are still existing)

Hamburg authority for city planning - Olympic Games on the "Grasbrook" (that is the name of the area, where the stadium, Aquatic Centre, Arena and the Village should be built

- Berlin wants to use its famous venues and include Brandenburg, Mecklenburg and Saxony-Anhalt in his bid

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

- Hamburg offers compact Games at the water and in the city centre (all venues should be in a circle of 15 km - 31 of 35 venues are still existing)

I'm very curious to see that

As for Berlin involving all the neighbouring regions in the bid, i hope it's only for minor events like Sailing, Mountain Biking etc., they have almost all facilities built in the city i don't see why they would need to go regional.

As for Berlin involving all the neighbouring regions in the bid, i hope it's only for minor events like Sailing, Mountain Biking etc., they have almost all facilities built in the city i don't see why they would need to go regional.

I think they want to spread the football matches, Sailing is obvious, and my guess is that they'll use the rowing/canoe course in Brandenburg (city, not state), which has been used for international competition before.

A compact bid from Hamburg would be nice too, especially if many of the venues are already in place.

Didn't Hamburg use that "Water" Plan with venues based mainly on the river bank for 2012 SOG internal bid?

Maybe they plan something simillar:

UngesichertesVorschau-Dokument-1.png

UngesichertesVorschau-Dokument.png

Didn't Hamburg use that "Water" Plan with venues based mainly on the river bank for 2012 SOG internal bid?

Maybe they plan something simillar:

UngesichertesVorschau-Dokument-1.png

UngesichertesVorschau-Dokument.png

I suppose the plan will be very similar - the area on the "Grasbrook" (that is the area, where you can see the Olympic Stadium, the Arena, the Aquatic Centre and the Olympic Village) is "blocked" for bids until 2028...

Berlin and Hamburg decide to go for the Games of 2024 or 2028!

Both local goverments will give out a short concept on September 1st.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/sportpolitik/olympia-in-deutschland-hamburg-und-berlin-bereit-13118057.html (in german)

The plan for Berlin is to keep Athletics, Football, Hockey in the old Olympic Park and most of the other sports at the "Sportforum Hohenschönhausen"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportforum_Hohensch%C3%B6nhausen

The sailing, equestrian,rowing,canoe and other football matches should be staged in the Eastern german states.

The olympic village would be within the airport Berlin-Tegel.

The plan for Hamburg will be like the one posted above.

Public support is (at the moment) 73% for Hamburg and 52% for Berlin.

The DOSB will decide on December 6th which city will bid and for which year the bid will be (2024 or 2028)

I don't think it makes sense to do the planning now, put it up to referendums and then wait until 2028 to bid.

I think if at all, they should bid immediately, but willing to go for a 2nd or even 3rd try right from the start.

In my World it makes no sence to decide now to bid for 2028. If Europe get 2024, and Germany has decided to bid for 2028 already, thats completely stupid. I don´t think Europe will get it 2 times in a row... Either bid for 2024, or wait to see who wins 2024, if not Europe, then bid, if Europe, then wait, it will be Waste of money. Well thats just my opinion.

I don't think it makes sense to do the planning now, put it up to referendums and then wait until 2028 to bid.

I think if at all, they should bid immediately, but willing to go for a 2nd or even 3rd try right from the start.

And that is the problem with german bids in the past.

If they don´t win on first try, they won´t go for a second bid.

You need patience to win the Games. Look how often Madrid,PC and Tokyo throw their hats in the ring.

And then look at Munich.........they gave away a nearly 100% sure win for 2022.

And that is the problem with german bids in the past.

If they don´t win on first try, they won´t go for a second bid.

You need patience to win the Games. Look how often Madrid,PC and Tokyo throw their hats in the ring.

And then look at Munich.........they gave away a nearly 100% sure win for 2022.

I wouldn't want to see Madrid as a role model though, but I agree that of all recent bids, at least Munich would have been in a great position for the second try. The Berchtesgaden, Berlin 2000 and Leipzig bids however were certainly not a good base for a second try four or eight years later.

Public support is (at the moment) 73% for Hamburg and 52% for Berlin.

I hope those numbers hold up. I'll look forward to supporting the games in CAF's backyard.

Actually, if any of the German bids goes forward, it's glasses down for who I'm gonna be campaigning for.

The answers to the DOSB's is here: https://www.berlin.de/spiele-in-berlin/interessenbekundung/interessenbekundung-berlins-fuer-olympische-und-paralympische-spiele/

It is in German so for those of us not fluent it is not a ton of help, but it still gives us all a basic idea of what the Berlin team is thinking about.

I just started my holidays in Croatia, sonotmuch time to go in depth, but it's all nice and well, but we've been at this stage with Munich before. Get a positive referendum (not before spring 2015) and then we're talking.