Hamburg 2024

Glad to see this bid come together but one would imagine that masterplan of the Olympic Park site would need revisions. The BOH/FOH setup as an example.

Would it be possible to swop the OV site with the Aquatic Centre island (even if it does seem smaller)?

Is it wise to combine the 3 major venues with the OV and other services on two islands with what seems to be moderate access?

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see this bid come together but one would imagine that masterplan of the Olympic Park site would need revisions. The BOH/FOH setup as an example.

Would it be possible to swop the OV site with the Aquatic Centre island (even if it does seem smaller)?

Is it wise to combine the 3 major venues with the OV and other services on two islands with what seems to be moderate access?

I am not sure what you mean with: BOH, FOH and OV?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last week was a "round table" with experts, who discussed "Olympic Games in Hamburg" and answered questions by the public, which could send in to a newspaper...

Here is the whole show on video

Hamburger Abendblatt - Olympische Spiele in Hamburg - Pro & Contra - Runder Tisch #1 (Stadtentwicklung)

• 3 weeks later...

I think you underestimate Hamburg...

The citizens of Hamburg and the Germans are aware that Paris, Rome or Los Angeles are the front-runners, but Hamburg will do its best to surprise and the citizens want the Games.

You're confident the referendum will have a positive outcome then?

I think you underestimate Hamburg...

The citizens of Hamburg and the Germans are aware that Paris, Rome or Los Angeles are the front-runners, but Hamburg will do its best to surprise and the citizens want the Games.

I'm sure Baron was joking, & I don't think it's a matter of 'underestimating' Hamburg. We're aware of all of their possible strengths. But even as you admittedly say yourself, that sure is A LOT of other 'front-runners' for them to be able to pull off a "surprise". Other than Budapest & perhaps Rome (& that's mainly due to financial & some logistal concerns), Hamburg has quite a struggle in front of them.

I'm sure Baron was joking, & I don't think it's a matter of 'underestimating' Hamburg. We're aware of all of their possible strengths. But even as you admittedly say yourself, that sure is A LOT of other 'front-runners' for them to be able to pull off a "surprise". Other than Budapest & perhaps Rome (& that's mainly due to financial & some logistal concerns), Hamburg has quite a struggle in front of them.

... well, I wouldn't rule out a surprise ...

Olympics-Germany able to host 2024 Games and Euro in same year: Bach

Reuters

14 hours ago

BERLIN, Sept 16 (Reuters) - Germany would have no problems hosting both the 2024 European soccer championships as well as the summer Olympics in the same year, given the country's sports infrastructure and organisational skills, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach said on Wednesday.

Hamburg is bidding for the 2024 Olympics while the German football association (DFB) is hoping to land the Euro in the same year, traditionally staged just a few weeks before the summer Games.

"I think this can be possible because they are time-wise a couple of weeks apart from each other so they do not influence each other in this respect," Bach said in a conference call.

"I also think that nobody has real doubt about the Germans' organisational skills."

Hamburg is bidding against Paris, Rome, Los Angeles and Budapest, with the French capital and the U.S. city seen as the early frontrunners in the race to be decided in 2017.

Bach, a German himself, said the country already had the necessary stadium infrastructure in place for the Euro, which meant preparations for the continental soccer tournament would not affect Hamburg's plans for the Games, should the German port be selected as the host.

The IOC two years ago had warned Turkey to pick one of the two, with Istanbul bidding for the 2020 Olympics and the country campaigning to land the Euro 2020.

It had said the strain of staging two large international events so close to each other would not be possible for Turkey. (Reporting by Karolos Grohmann; editing by Sudipto Ganguly)

Olympics-Germany able to host 2024 Games and Euro in same year: Bach
Reuters
14 hours ago
BERLIN, Sept 16 (Reuters) - Germany would have no problems hosting both the 2024 European soccer championships as well as the summer Olympics in the same year, given the country's sports infrastructure and organisational skills, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach said on Wednesday.
Hamburg is bidding for the 2024 Olympics while the German football association (DFB) is hoping to land the Euro in the same year, traditionally staged just a few weeks before the summer Games.
"I think this can be possible because they are time-wise a couple of weeks apart from each other so they do not influence each other in this respect," Bach said in a conference call.
"I also think that nobody has real doubt about the Germans' organisational skills."
Hamburg is bidding against Paris, Rome, Los Angeles and Budapest, with the French capital and the U.S. city seen as the early frontrunners in the race to be decided in 2017.
Bach, a German himself, said the country already had the necessary stadium infrastructure in place for the Euro, which meant preparations for the continental soccer tournament would not affect Hamburg's plans for the Games, should the German port be selected as the host.
The IOC two years ago had warned Turkey to pick one of the two, with Istanbul bidding for the 2020 Olympics and the country campaigning to land the Euro 2020.
It had said the strain of staging two large international events so close to each other would not be possible for Turkey. (Reporting by Karolos Grohmann; editing by Sudipto Ganguly)

Interesting, but if my memory serves me correctly, didn't Turkey want to do the same thing for 2016 and the IOC wasn't too keen on it?

Interesting, but if my memory serves me correctly, didn't Turkey want to do the same thing for 2016 and the IOC wasn't too keen on it?

2020, but the point that was made is a smoke-screen anyway. Of course, logistically or organisationally, Germany could cope with hosting both. International sports politics however will hardly allow to have the year's two major events located in the same country within a fes weeks. DOSB and DFB live in denial.

Germany have an abundance of ready built stadiums for the Euro's. Most would need roughly 9 days to take of branding and apply the euro logos. It's not like Turkey which would have to build heaps of infrastructure for both-a hard task for the country

Archived