Hamburg 2024

Very innovative legacy idea, though I don't suppose the athletics lobby within the IOC will love it.

Also, from remembering back to London 2012, our stadium was planned to have no roof initially, but wind studies showed it created conditions which were not ideal for athletes so a small one was installed. Obviously these are very early renders from Hamburg (thanks for posting them!) but I wouldn't be surprised to see a roof appear if Germany is successful.

You are right these are very early renders - the senate (government) of Hamburg asked several architect bureaus to get get more into the details of the Olympic Park concept.

At 7 p.m. four different plans are released for discussion with the citizens

NDR

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some other ideas for the stadium - this time with a decent roof.

For the olympic use:

cd788ee9fedb9f3b22dae91a.jpg

The swimming pool:

olympia-3.jpg

One of the currently four discussed scenarios for the central "Olympic City" within the habour including the olympic stadium, olympic dome and swim arena, plus the athlete's village etc.

olympia3760_v-vierspaltig.jpg

One of the currently four discussed scenarios for the central "Olympic City" within the habour including the olympic stadium, olympic dome and swim arena, plus the athlete's village etc.

olympia3760_v-vierspaltig.jpg

Re that configuration above. I don't think it will fly with the IOC. It is too insulated and inaccessible from half the island. The present access and egress points seem to be more choke-points rather than access paths. The cluster should be accessible from all sides.

Re that configuration above. I don't think it will fly with the IOC. It is too insulated and inaccessible from half the island. The present access and egress points seem to be more choke-points rather than access paths. The cluster should be accessible from all sides.

But you don't want to overdo access these days. Security costs are one of the big inflation factors in Olympic budgets, and it's probably more efficient to have a few large access points rather than several small ones.

Is it that much different from what Rio is doing?

Is it that much different from what Rio is doing?

Considerably. Rio has most of its major venues spread out amongst the 4 clusters. If you're talking about the Rio Olympic park, what do they have in that new cluster? For the major 4 sports - just basketball I think? The Hamburg plan has both the Olympic stadium and the Swim Hall (that's 2 of the top 4 sports) set off in that little island. So yeah, going by past considerations of the IOC, I would say that would be a worry point for them. Now, not unless they have relaxed their modes of thinking now...

Considerably. Rio has most of its major venues spread out amongst the 4 clusters. If you're talking about the Rio Olympic park, what do they have in that new cluster? For the major 4 sports - just basketball I think? The Hamburg plan has both the Olympic stadium and the Swim Hall (that's 2 of the top 4 sports) set off in that little island. So yeah, going by past considerations of the IOC, I would say that would be a worry point for them. Now, not unless they have relaxed their modes of thinking now...

Swimming and Athletics are not held in parallel anyway, at least not in tecent Olympics, so you wouldn't have to get crowds for both going through the same - limited - access points anyway.

Swimming and Athletics are not held in parallel anyway, at least not in tecent Olympics, so you wouldn't have to get crowds for both going through the same - limited - access points anyway.

Oly Stadium will be busy for the nearly entire 17 days (what with T&F, all the Ceremony activity; and maybe the football finals as well?). Swimming (and/or diving if it's going to be held in that same natatorium?) runs over 10 days. So obviously, there will be at least 10 days overlapping with full activity.

Plus, what is that 3rd venue there? And T&F will also have the largest broadcast contingent, logistically.

A preliminary decision reagarding the layout of the "Olympic City" in the harbour area has been made (the final decision will be presented on 23 June):

in particular the aquatic center (Schwimmhalle) moved away from the main island. The olympic dome for basketball etc. ("Olympiahalle") will be transformed into a terminal for cruise ships, while the post-game use of the olympic stadium and the aquatic center are still under debate.

The IBC/MPC is on an area which houses active companies that still have to be persuaded to leave this area...

olympia3762_v-vierspaltig.jpg

BTW: Michel Platini (head of UEFA) mentioned today that Germanys chances for running the Euro 2024 will be rather small in the case the Hamburg would get the right for hosting the Olympics in 2024 (here an article in english: http://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/International/Germanys-Euro-Olympic-double-in-doubt-20150609).Nothing new...

well - I wonder how many major access paths were in the previous host cities?

Martin, I don't recall situations (say, of the last 4 or 5 Summer Games) where 3 of the most major venues (remember these are the main Oly Stadium, swimming AND basketball) were situated on an island and had limited access routes. The ONLY top 4 sports missing there is Gymnastics.

While limited access points may be good for security/access purposes in the normal operation of the site, they could also be a concern for security/access purposes in case of an emergency. I would imagine that planners must be making sure access points would be of a decent enough size for mass evacuations and/or emergency vehicle access should that need arise.

I am sure that mass evacuation plans are under consideration especially after the Loveparade desaster 2010 in Duisburg with many fatalities (many partygoers died in this event because there was a fatal bottleneck in the escape corridors).

Who can forget Leipzig?? LEIPZIG!! LEIPZIG!!!

Horrific Leipzig - let that disgrace be forgotten asap...

A misguided attempt to rejuvenate Eastern Germany. Just because you have the baseline score thanks to what you already have is simply not enough. Besides, with so many European bidders for 2012, they had to remove the weakest one. Which of course was Leipzig. They should have gone with a much stronger Berlin bid, drawing from experience in their 2000 bid.

Archived