Hamburg 2024

I wonder if Bach will secretly pull a Samaranch and get Germany the games...

Bach, unlike JAS back then, is not personally linked to Berlin or Hamburg, and he's seen very critical in Germany, so I don't think he's too interested in pushing this for now. You could have a point if we're talking 2028, or even more 2032, with the decision coming up at the end of his first or second term and he'd like to go out with a present to his home country to shape his legacy. But that's just a theory.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh the irony. Hamburg & Boston are relatively in the same league. Both would be 'meh' to most on these boards & in general.

Well, Hamburg would be a little higher (on my scale) than Boston. Hamburg is Germany's 2nd/3rd largest city; their major port. Boston would probably be more like a Frankfurt or a Dortmund or Essen.

If DOSB picks Hamburg in March...which I think they really might.

I hope they will. We deserve to go into this with a fresh perspective and a new city that actually has a chance to win. The city has a strong middle and upper class, which would be more inclined to support the bid (72% already do so, whereas in Berlin 46% oppose it before any campaigning has begun). Sadly, in Germany, one can never underestimate the power of NIMBYs (not in my backyard) who will complain about everything under the sun. Nonetheless, I think Hamburg's prospects to succeed in this particular candidate field might be a bit better than in a scenario in which a heavyweight from the US like LA, SF or NYC had run; or Paris had thrown in its hat as well. But with Boston in and Paris out, it might actually be a fair fight.

Still, a lot of work has to be done: first, to convince the local public and second, the IOC.

Also, StefanMUC is absolutely right: Bach is indeed not Samaranch. Plus, many Germans (myself included) just see him as another guy in it for himself, rather than the "greater good" of the Olympic Games. In interviews with German television channels (which admittedly throw softball questions at him), he didn't really come across as either cosmopolitan or visionary - just an intelligent man who has served his way to the top and wants to stay there, and not offend anyone.

Oh the irony. Hamburg & Boston are relatively in the same league. Both would be 'meh' to most on these boards & in general.

I wouldn't mind Games in either. I'm definitely biased for Hamburg - and I can only recommend to anyone from outside Germany, especially away from Europe, to go visit Hamburg. It's a beautiful city, and once you're there, you could picture the Olympics taking place there. Berlin is better-known...not necessarily better.

That said, I'd be glad if Germany finally gets the Olympics - it's high time we did. But I just don't think a Berlin bid can win.

I'd love to see Germany get the chance to have a 'normal' Games. But I'd also love to see Paris finally do it - not sure which I'd prefer if it comes down to Paris v Germany.

Definitely would love both - and yes, it'd be kinda nice to see an Olympic Games where we're not abusing it for propaganda (1936) or hopelessly naive about security (1972). The 2006 World Cup showed that it can be done - but it's all dependent on local population support and (sadly) the country does have a strong political undercurrent which is immediately suspicious of anything connected to corporations, business or international trade (no, not fascists, but left-wing parties like the Greens and, even more intensely, the Left Party). And if they're good at something, they are good at campaigning.

I just hope that we've learnt our lesson from 1992/93 when a small group of protestors committing arson and pelting stones (alongside gross incompetence and arrogance on part of the bid organizers, suffering from a massive high from post-reunification euphoria) let the Berlin bid for the 2000 Games self-destruct.

I like Hamburg bid concept. Well really I kike the look of the stadium they proposed. It reminds me of Tokyo's stafium plan from 2016, how it's kinda in the middle of water.

But I agree if Rome gets pooped out, even with the money saving nature of Agenda 2020, and Paris doesn't even try so we're left with Hamburg as the only Euro city it will be an interesting race. None of the remaining candidates (as far as we know) would be the ones people would immediately name when asked about the country the cities are in.

The race of the underdogs, perhaps

Well, that would surely be an interesting race - it would be anyone's for a win.

As for Rome, the Italians are just one misbalanced budget away from a fresh election, a new prime minister and another Eurozone bailout. And trust people to ask whether they really need to bid, so soon after Turin. Especially those like Grillo and his populist movement.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Twenty thousand people gathered around the Inner Alster Lake (thats a lake in the city centre of Hamburg) and lit up torches just two hours ago - they are showing with this action their support of Olympic Games in Hamburg in 2024

20,000 people at the Olympic Alster Flame

alsterfeuer100_v-contentxl.jpg

... this "event" was organized by private people - and was published as an idea on Facebook - and more and more people said that they will come and some Hamburg companies joined in and helped with free torches - finally more than 20,000 people came - and we stood all around the inner alster lake and a company sent a firework display as present for the people...

• 3 weeks later...

The DOSB made a poll in both cities to check the support of the citizens - the DOSB published the numbers today:

Berlin - 55% support a bid
Hamburg - 64% support a bid

The executive board of the DOSB will release a recommendation about the bid on March 16th - the DOSB will decide on March 21st

IDK - the two figures seem very negligable. Nine percent isn't all that much of a difference this early on in a poll. Remember, both London & Tokyo had low public support figures at this point in their respective campaigns. Maybe Berlin's numbers could go a bit higher as well later on with good PR.

However, this looks like it could be a tough one for the DOSB, similar to what the USOC went through. Do they go with the city with the biggest international appeal & risk campaign troubles later on. Or do they go with the city with perhaps a more solid backing but is less renowned. I guess we'll see which way they'll decide soon enough.

I think that if the US is putting up what some may call a 'second class' city then Germany could certainly put up Hamburg. Hamburg is still globally known and I think a unique place in Germany and in the world for that matter for the games to be held.

We always make the argument for US bids that it would be good to showcase different geographic regions of the country. I would even say that one of Boston's strengths is that it is in a region of the country that has never held a games, the same could be said for Hamburg.

I don't believe though, that the IOC is too interested in "showcasing different regions" of previous host nations as much as they like their event showcased in premier locations. In that sense, it's where places like Boston & Hamburg lack. Otherwise, cities like Osaka, Manchester, Birmingham, Seville, Brisbane, etc would've faired much better in their respective campaigns than they actually did.

I support Hamburg! If the atmosphere is as vibrant as those videos show then count me in! Besides, i'd day Hamburg is pretty "international" (It was my most powerful and cultural city in my first game of Civ, but the digress). Maybe Hamburg can pull off a narrative based on support?

Archived