Hamburg 2024

I just started my holidays in Croatia, sonotmuch time to go in depth, but it's all nice and well, but we've been at this stage with Munich before. Get a positive referendum (not before spring 2015) and then we're talking.

I think the referendum is happening in a few weeks while the interest is high and the NO camp does not have much time to beat the bid down. The DOSB wants to pick the city by the end of the year.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "questionnaire" of the Hamburg bid is online (sorry it is in German, but you will get an impression):

Hamburg.de - Perspektiven einer zukünftigen Olympiabewerbung

Here even better - the pdf-file of the questionnaire

Danke!

Nice bid from Hamburg and it appears that only small changes have been done since their 2012 proposal. Overall the bid is very nice and from what I could gather the bid appears to work well. The maps also provide a nicely detailed look into the bid.

I think the referendum is happening in a few weeks while the interest is high and the NO camp does not have much time to beat the bid down. The DOSB wants to pick the city by the end of the year.

A referendum cannot be organised overnight, and DOSB can just as well wait with nominations until next year anyway.

You think it will increase support for a bid if a referendum is rushed through and the NO camp will just swallow it? Surely not. The NO camp was going strong all through the Munich 2018 bid, and I'm 100% sure it would be very visible during a Hamburg and certainly a Berlin bid too.

A referendum cannot be organised overnight, and DOSB can just as well wait with nominations until next year anyway.

You think it will increase support for a bid if a referendum is rushed through and the NO camp will just swallow it? Surely not. The NO camp was going strong all through the Munich 2018 bid, and I'm 100% sure it would be very visible during a Hamburg and certainly a Berlin bid too.

No, but it gives the NO camp less time to organize a full offense on the bid itself.

No, but it gives the NO camp less time to organize a full offense on the bid itself.

Sorry, but you still don't get it.

A positive referendum would not stop the quite vocal opposition, they would be active right up until the IOC votes. I wouldn't even exclude the option of trying to force a Denver 76 scenario if the IOC were to give the Games to Berlin (or pess likely, Hamburg).

Oslo had a positive referendum before bidding, and look where it is now.

I don't know why you're so focussed on Germany, but you shouldn't count you chicken yet.

There was a NO camp for the 2002 Quebec City bid, for the obvious reason of what Montreal 1976 ended up as, as well as the fact that there was a referendum heading the Province's way. They didn't want such a Games, even if it meant the possibility of promoting a potential new nation (and much symbolism of the old transferring to the new).

That NO camp was active until the vote. I guess they were happy when Quebec lost. Such a camp will happen again when Quebec bids again, but even the protestors won't stop a Games.

Sorry, but you still don't get it.

A positive referendum would not stop the quite vocal opposition, they would be active right up until the IOC votes. I wouldn't even exclude the option of trying to force a Denver 76 scenario if the IOC were to give the Games to Berlin (or pess likely, Hamburg).

Oslo had a positive referendum before bidding, and look where it is now.

I don't know why you're so focussed on Germany, but you shouldn't count you chicken yet.

Oh, I see what your talking about now.

I was talking about the NO camps influence on a very early referendum being low, but long term I guess their presence could be felt and ultimately hurt the bid like it has done to Oslo.

• 2 weeks later...

Following today's Euro 2020 decision, which implies that Germany will get Euro 2024, all media commentators I have seen say that any chance for Olympics here in 2024 is dead.

I agree.

Certainly seems probable. I'm ok with that. It will be time to go back to Germany soon, but 2022 would've fit much better in the rotation than 2024. I'm sure we'll see more German Games before too much longer.

my god this video gives me goosebumps - it translates the atmosphere of the city into a video - perfect for Olympic Games:

Hamburg, ist die Hälfte von Zwei, (Hamburg, is the half of two)

Die Schönste, die Nummer 1, das Gelbe vom Ei. (The most beautiful, the number 1, the yellow of an egg)

Ich schwimme durchs Land, ich tauch’ ein in die Stadt, (I swim through the country, I dive into the city)
Mal mit der Flut, mal gegen den Strom, (sometimes with the flood, sometimes against the stream)
Vor mir die Sonne, hinter mir der Mond, (the sun in front of me, the moon in my back)
Alles bleibt anders, doch das sind wir gewohnt. (Everything stays different, but we are used to it.)

Die Geschichte im Schlepptau, die Zukunft im Blick (The history in tow, the future kept in our eyes)
Ein globaler Ort, ein lokales Wort, das hält, was es verspricht, (A global place, a local word, which holds, what it promise)
Eine Stadt im Aufbruch, eine Stadt von Welt (A city on the go, a city of the world)
Eine Stadt die gern arbeitet, auch an sich selbst. (A city, which likes to work, on itself too)

Wind im Rücken, Land in Sicht, (Wind in the back, land in sight)
Salzige Luft, volle Segel, Lust auf Meer, (Salty air, all sails, lust for the sea)
Lust auf Hinz, Lust auf Kunst, (Lust for Rag, Tag and lust for bobtail - the german phrase is different bobtail is exchanged with the word for "art")
Lust auf alt, Lust auf neu, Lust auf „oh“, Lust auf „yeah“. (Lust for the old, lust for the new, lust for "ohhh", lust for "yeah")

Nenn es klassisch, nenn es modern, nenn es retro (call it classic, call it modern, call it retro)
Nenn es wie du willst, Hauptsache nicht geht so, (call it whatever you like, but do not start with "well")
Denn irgendwo zwischen schön-schmuddelig und gut-bürgerlich, (Since somewhere between dingy and white bread)
Gibt es einen Ort, doch für den reichen diese Wörter nicht. (is a place, for which these words are not enough)

Der Grund, warum hier Menschen gern leben, (The reason, why people love to live here)
Weil die Leute erst fühlen, dann denken, dann reden, (Since the people feel and think first, before they talk)
Denn das Leben ist nicht dasselbe, (Since life is not the same)
Hier im Norden an der Elbe. (Here in the North at the banks of the river Elbe/Alster)

• 1 month later...

I'm sure whichever city has the LEAST amount of public protest would likely be heavily favored. So as of now, looks like the real serious players, at least considering a 2024 bid, are the USOC & the DOSB. It's starting to finally get less blurry for the 2024 race.

That gets a big LIKE from me. Hopefully the public will get behind a bid!

Me too Rob, me too.

I'm sure whichever city has the LEAST amount of public protest would likely be heavily favored. So as of now, looks like the real serious players, at least considering a 2024 bid, are the USOC & the DOSB. It's starting to finally get less blurry for the 2024 race.

"I can see clearly now the rain is gone"

• 1 month later...

Several Polish media outlets stated recently that the city of Szczecin might be a proposed venue for sailing in 2024 Berlin SOG bid :blink:

Sounds like hoax, but...?

No offense to Szczecin and the principle idea of a German/Polish bid, but Rostock (for a Berlin bid), Lübeck or Kiel (again as in 72, both of them for a Hamburg bid) would be perfect domestic choices already, so there's no real need to go abroad. Especially when all we have from the IOC is some nice words about opening up to multi-national bids, when in reality we haven't seen the true test yet by letting such a bid win.

Archived