Hamburg 2024

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My German is pretty ordinary but from what I gathered a bid for 2024 is a possibility - and 2026 is ruled out?

Basically yes. If certain conditions are fulfilled, there might be a bid for 2024. They're not excluding future winter bids, but summer bids are now higher on the agenda.

Interesting. Does this mean that to Western countries, we've now reached a point where Summer games are considered easier, cheaper, & more appealing than Winter ones? If so, Sochi really has caused a massive turnaround.

Interesting. Does this mean that to Western countries, we've now reached a point where Summer games are considered easier, cheaper, & more appealing than Winter ones? If so, Sochi really has caused a massive turnaround.

No. You can't base it on that. What it means is that the summer federations in certain countries probably have stronger clout than the winter ones, and the conditions are probably ripe and serendipitous for a summer bid to come together more easily than a winter bid. They're kinda naive if they think it'll take $50 billion to mount a WOGs, and not a summer?? Get real, yoshi.

For Germany in particular, the summer federations and the interested potential summer bidders agreed to halt their SOG efforts as long as Munich was aiming at WOG. Now that that idea is off the table, it was clear they would pursue their summer plans.

I'm not convinced though they'll overcome the general reluctance, not to say resistance, of the public.

• 1 month later...

And here's the 13 questions, in German, but Google Translate should work. No shock surprises in there:

http://www.dosb.de/de/mobile/olympia/olympische-news/detail/news/olympiabewerbung/

DOSB also will look at the potential other bidders and the correlation with a bid for the Euro 2024. So it's far from certain Germany will bid already for 2024. And then there's of course the potential referendum risk...

• 3 weeks later...

Berlin mayor has confirmed Berlin will bid, but must create "acceptance" in the population to be successful.

Link in German:

http://www.handelsblatt.com/wowereit-ueberrascht-mit-vorstoss-berlin-wird-sich-um-olympia-bewerben/10040188.html

Given the recent disasters (new airport, lost referendum on use of old airport area...), I don't give this a snowflake's chance in hell to pass a referendum.

Berlin mayor has confirmed Berlin will bid, but must create "acceptance" in the population to be successful.

Link in German:

http://www.handelsblatt.com/wowereit-ueberrascht-mit-vorstoss-berlin-wird-sich-um-olympia-bewerben/10040188.html

Given the recent disasters (new airport, lost referendum on use of old airport area...), I don't give this a snowflake's chance in hell to pass a referendum.

Ah too bad! Well hopefully Hamburg will pull through?

What future bids have to start focusing on (and this goes for any city) is a great PR campaign. However, it shouldn't be a bunch of BS pomp and pageantry with colorful banners. What they really should be focusing on, is actually educating citizens on the possible benefits for the city and other facets of a bid such as what people's taxpayer dollars are going to.

• 2 weeks later...

The German government, if it had to choose. Would definitely support a Berlin bid over a Hamburg bid if the city was willing to host it. It's been almost a century since Berlin last hosted, and a lot has changed since then.

And I can't see Germany going for another attempt for a winter bid, unless if finds a completely new site for the winter olympics besides Munich and Garmish. There was poor support for that bid in 2018 and many people in Garmish did not want to host that big of an event due to major violation concerns.

Ugh I meant major environmental concerns. Is there a way to edit my posts?

I believe I've read somewhere that the government of Germany has backed Berlin's potential bid.

Not that I know of. I guess (bar some backdoor string-pulling maybe) the federal govt will stay neutral and if a bid materialises by whichever city will decide on the financial guarantee question. The federal interior minister (responsible also fir sports) however has made it quite clear that he wants to see Germany hosting soon.

But for now, it's in the hands of the DOSB (and most likely the voters in a referendum both in Hamburg and Berlin).

Would the IOC accept the Olympiastadion as it stands, or would it need to be refurbished and expanded?

The fact that Berlin already has an Olympic park and stadium is a pretty nice advantage. There would also be a nice story for the games of refurbishing old Olympic facilities instead of building them all new.

I also like the idea from the perspective of Berlin. My biggest complaint about the city is that it is too burdened by its past and too self-conscious in trying to break from it. A Berlin Olympics in 2024 could be about the future of Berlin (and Germany as the engine of Europe) rather than world war 2, the wall, etc.

The Olympiastadion is an amazing venue. I am sure the IAAF would be more than happy to have it as the venue for their showpiece. Berlin needs some substantial gentrification and development in and around central Berlin. Beautiful city. Needs some work.

Could the Altona station area be used for potential Olympic construction? Or is that already completely taken for other plans?

... there is already a master plan for the Altona station area - one part is e.g. to connect the areas, which were separated by the tracks...

Hamburg.de: Official Master plan Altona Mitte (pdf.)

Last week it was decided that the Altona station will be relocated to the north - the area of the station will be changed into a residential/relaxing area... (By the way that is the second relocation of the Altona station: the first Altona station was where the Altona Rathaus is today) - the site for the new station is approximately the site of the old demolished Hamburg-Kaltenkirchener Bahnhof...

Archived