Many don't agree with me but I might prefer to watch the games at home. Of course if you want to experience them there's no alternative to going to the host city but attending London reinforced my belief that if you want to follow the sports as closely as possible it's much easier at home when there are multiple channels available and you're not limited to just the live event you're witnessing and travelling between different sites. They can be both enjoyable but very different, it's just a matter of preference. In any case, with such a rare event it's best to know what one really wants.

Yeah, I can certainly empathise with that. I'd go as are as saying that if you want to follow most sports, it's always more enlightening to watch them on TV - better angles, close ups on techniques an reactions and emotions, commentary and explanation. But, of course, that can't beat the experience of being there in person.

Anyway, the whole topic has got me daydreaming. I think London cured me over trying to pack in too much. I think I refined my list of what I'd like to go to if I make it to Rio to just four or five. If I can get tickets to: rugby (sevens is great at the best of times, and to see it Olympic debut, fantastic!), beach volleyball (surely likely to be the best ticket in Rio), track cycling (which I've never been to yet) and maybe a visit to anything in the athletics stadium (gotta go see the main venue), all within a short block of days, I might really start to consider it seriously.

Is any football happening at the Maracana or is it only for ceremonies? It'd be great to be able to say I'd seen football at the grand temple of the sport.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Yeah, I can certainly empathise with that. I'd go as are as saying that if you want to follow most sports, it's always more enlightening to watch them on TV - better angles, close ups on techniques an reactions and emotions, commentary and explanation. But, of course, that can't beat the experience of being there in person.

Anyway, the whole topic has got me daydreaming. I think London cured me over trying to pack in two much. I think I refined my list of what I'd like to go to if I make it to Rio to just four or five. If I can get tickets to: rugby (7s is great at the best of times, and to see it Olympic debut, fantastic!), beach volleyball (surely likely to be the best ticket in Rio), track cycling (which I've never been to yet) and maybe a visit to anything in the athletics stadium (gotta go see the main venue), all within a short block of days, I might really start to consider it seriously.

Is any football happening at the Maracana or is it only for ceremonies? It'd be great to be able to say I'd seen football at the grandtemple of the sport.

The final match for sure will be hosted in Maracana.

My family is planning a trip! My dad and I love the Opening Ceremonies so we have been waiting and watching for tickets to go on sale so we can get the best seats (thanks to Barons book were trying to get higher up seats!). Were also planning to go to some Aquatic events and a few of the ball ones. Were not planning for a lot though, I think a week long trip for us. So no Closings :( anyways the ceremonies are always better with the NBC commentary (rolls eyes). I'm really excited about this though as it will be my first games, I have wanted to make it to at least one in my lifetime. Then again I could try and win the Visa thing...

Yeah but Tony this is unrealistic. You'll be swimming in fees for school, and once you have a job you can't take multiple two week vacations every year.

maybe his dad has a lot of money. and maybe his parents are divorced and his dad feels guilty about splitting the family up to take up with his secretary who could be tony's older sister so he lavishes money on them and has lowered his expectations to virtually nothing because he hates his own dad and is secretly terrified of his own kids hating him. is that not entirely possible??

• Like 4

maybe his dad has a lot of money. and maybe his parents are divorced and his dad feels guilty about splitting the family up to take up with his secretary who could be tony's older sister so he lavishes money on them and has lowered his expectations to virtually nothing because he hates his own dad and is secretly terrified of his own kids hating him. is that not entirely possible??

How dare you. Don't assume. My Mum and Dad have been married for 28 years and love each other, so don't assume. You don't know me!

My parents are the best in the World, so don't say like you know us Krow. My mum and dad have been happily married for 28 years.

Baron, a Brazilian visa is a formality. Very easy to get and the Brazilian authorities continue to make it easier and more simplified. Out of the countries I regularly book travel to for clients, Brazil is amongst the easiest to help get them their visa for. I would actually say only Australia is easier.

One would also hope that, for Canadians at least. Brazil would be added to the rather short list of countries that have visa-free access to Canada. It is actually shocking how hard it is to get into North America for almost everyone.

Baron, a Brazilian visa is a formality. Very easy to get and the Brazilian authorities continue to make it easier and more simplified. Out of the countries I regularly book travel to for clients, Brazil is amongst the easiest to help get them their visa for. I would actually say only Australia is easier.

One would also hope that, for Canadians at least. Brazil would be added to the rather short list of countries that have visa-free access to Canada. It is actually shocking how hard it is to get into North America for almost everyone.

Oh, I have no prob/complaints re getting a Brazilian visa if & when I'll need it. I'm just not crazy about getting a shot in hte back...but then again my friend might've had the tetanus shot in his arm already, thus got his YF shot in the back. Will ask him more when I see him later.

Also, for any Torontonians reading this, I might be going to Toronto 1st week of June...MIGHT being the operative word.

How dare you. Don't assume. My Mum and Dad have been married for 28 years and love each other, so don't assume. You don't know me!

why are you always starting drama with me? every thread you're starting one drama or another and then saying i'm not trying to start drama but...

my post made you interesting. you should be thanking me. now you're back to being boring and the rest of us are back to almost certainly correctly assuming that your poor embittered mother is trapped in a loveless marriage she can't escape except by day drinking and thankless children who spend all their time on internet forums starting drama instead of spending it with her. god knows we can all safely say she's not spending her days doing any parenting, that's for sure. look how you've turned out.

if you were my kid, i might bother to put down the bottle and break your laptop over your head and tell you to go learn something, starting with the english language.

• Like 2

why are you always starting drama with me? every thread you're starting one drama or another and then saying i'm not trying to start drama but...

my post made you interesting. you should be thanking me. now you're back to being boring and the rest of us are back to almost certainly correctly assuming that your poor embittered mother is trapped in a loveless marriage she can't escape except by day drinking and thankless children who spend all their time on internet forums starting drama instead of spending it with her. god knows we can all safely say she's not spending her days doing any parenting, that's for sure. look how you've turned out.

if you were my kid, i might bother to put down the bottle and break your laptop over your head and tell you to go learn something, starting with the english language.

How dare you. I should be thanking you? At least I know my mother. At least I know who I am. If anything, my Mum and Dad hates alcohol, they don't drink. They are the best parents I could wish for. Look how I've turned out? What, I'm on a forum, talking about future life ambitions, then you personally attack me and my family verbally? Take a look in the mirror mate.

• Like 1

Thanks for the sarcasm. Anyway, from 2016 onwards, I hope to go to every Fifa World Cup and UEFA Euro and Summer and Winter Olympics and Youth Olympics Games AND Commonwealth Games. So Russia 2018 World Cup and Qatar 2022 World Cup, France Euro 2016, Multi Euro 2020, Rio 2016, Tokyo 2020, PyeongChang 2018, Hopefully Oslo 2022, Lillehammer 2016, Buenos Aires 2018 and hopefully Lausanne 2020, Gold Coast 2018 and hopefully Durban 2022. Also, the 2017 World Athletics Championships here in my home city of London.

Nothing wrong with dreaming big, but seriously? ALL of those events spread all over the world? Good luck with that.

Here's my question to you.. we know how you feel about Russia hosting the 2018 World Cup and Qatar hosting 2022. So would you really support their efforts by traveling to those countries and spending your money there? If you're that upset about Russia winning the 2018 bid over your England and Qatar bribing their way to the 2022 World Cup, I would think you would boycott those World Cups and settle for watching at home on good old British television.

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with dreaming big, but seriously? ALL of those events spread all over the world? Good luck with that.

Here's my question to you.. we know how you feel about Russia hosting the 2018 World Cup and Qatar hosting 2022. So would you really support their efforts by traveling to those countries and spending your money there? If you're that upset about Russia winning the 2018 bid over your England and Qatar bribing their way to the 2022 World Cup, I would think you would boycott those World Cups and settle for watching at home on good old British television.

That's not a problem no more. I don't understand how me talking about wanting to go to Rio in 2016 can give Krow the right to personally attack me.

How dare you. I should be thanking you? At least I know my mother. At least I know who I am. If anything, my Mum and Dad hates alcohol, they don't drink. They are the best parents I could wish for. Look how I've turned out? What, I'm on a forum, talking about future life ambitions, then you personally attack me and my family verbally? Take a look in the mirror mate.

yes, i'm attacking you and your family verbally. oh boy. go ask those devoted parents of yours what that word actually means.

jeez, now i need a drink.

yes, i'm attacking you and your family verbally. oh boy. go ask those devoted parents of yours what that word actually means.

jeez, now i need a drink.

Ignore with a pinch of salt. Back to Baron's topic. Going to Rio. I read somewhere that between the World Cup and Rio Olympics, the roof needs to be modified at the Maracana. Is this true?

Ignore with a pinch of salt. Back to Baron's topic. Going to Rio. I read somewhere that between the World Cup and Rio Olympics, the roof needs to be modified at the Maracana. Is this true?

How does the roof being modified have anything to do with travelling to Rio? :rolleyes:

I've left school. I got home taught from my 15th Birthday in May 2012, I get home taught now right up till I'm 18 and I will work in Security with my Dad when I turn 18.

Stay in school. You could be an architect one day.

The above string of comments just made by day! Tony, I think Krow was just trying to make you more interesting. None of us here believe those things about you and I'm sure your parents are wonderful people and devoted considering they have home schooled you. Now to everyone else we all know that some home-schooled kids can lack in some social areas, we have now figured out Tony. Champagne, Champagne for everyone!

• Like 1

Stay in school. You could be an architect one day.

well, he could work for an architect at least.

maybe he can find one that needs an assistant to offer meaningless apologies and remind him what country he's in (his england) every fifteen minutes.

i'd hate to see his skill set go to waste.

I read somewhere that between the World Cup and Rio Olympics, the roof needs to be modified at the Maracana. Is this true?

Despite this have nothing to do with the thread...

Maracana roof is just great. No need for replacement.

This picture is from last wednesday

ESP441366.JPG

ESP441368.JPG

Joao Havelange Olympic Stadium aka Engenhão, the venue for Athletics in the Rio 2016 games is under works for fixing the roof.

Tony, I already told you. Stop reading British press about things related to the World Cup... Better to ask your parents than this.

Dear G-d I say something nice about Brazil for onces and Danny completely ignores it because there is a page and a half of people trying to reason with and intentionaly infuriate a dumb little Englander.

Baron, like Danny said, the vaccines are not 100% necessary. If you are going into the interior of Brazil or parts of the North getting things like yellow fever and typhoid. For instane if you would be going to Manaus or Brasilia for World Cup games this year, yellow fever is a must. A popular side trip from Rio is to go to Igassau Falls, you will need yellow fever for there. So I mean it is better to be safe than sorry, but if you are staying within Rio solely, not a worry.

Another example that I am fairly familiar with is Panama, for those going east of the Canal, yellow fever is a must, for those staying within an hour of the Canal or traveling overland between Costa Rica and Panama it is not.

Edited by faster

Dear G-d I say something nice about Brazil for onces and Danny completely ignores it because there is a page and a half of people trying to reason with and intentionaly infuriate a dumb little Englander.

Baron, like Danny said, the vaccines are not 100% necessary. If you are going into the interior of Brazil or parts of the North getting things like yellow fever and typhoid. For instane if you would be going to Manaus or Brasilia for World Cup games this year, yellow fever is a must. A popular side trip from Rio is to go to Igassau Falls, you will need yellow fever for there. So I mean it is better to be safe than sorry, but if you are staying within Rio solely, not a worry.

Another example that I am fairly familiar with is Panama, for those going east of the Canal, yellow fever is a must, for those staying within an hour of the Canal or traveling overland between Costa Rica and Panama it is not.

Excuse me?