Going to Rio?

oh please, paris and NY are disneyland in comparison.

take a look at that website i posted and tell me there's not a serious problem with street crime in rio. it's not hyperbole or a takedown from someone who's anti brazil, it's just true.

dismissing it as a few isolated incidents in bad areas or comparing it to paris doesn't make the problem go away and truthfully does no one any favors.

Krow, let me try to expalin my post. When people -even in Brazil - reffer to Rio, they are actually talking about the so calleed "Grande Rio" which is formed by many other cities, like Niterói, Nova Iguaçu, Duque de Caxias amongst others ones. When one talks about Rio itself, the numbers and realities are very different. You, certainly know we have problems with safety. We have. If someone denies it he is not being fair. But, as Tom Jobim said once "Brazil is not for begginers", this suits very well to Rio.One needs to understand the geographic distribution of crimes, the different kinds of vioence - robery,? drugs? murders due to the fights among drugdealers themselves? against the police? So if we are talking about drugdealers fight for power inside the favelas, we are talkiing about a problem that happens inside their territoy, the favelas. You will not see this kind of violence, unless you go to a favela where some fight is goinng on. Murder in Rio - not the Grande Rio - has lower rates of crimes. Robery happens, above all, in South Zone, the beaches of Ipanema, Copacabana and Leblon, where tourist - from Brazil or foreigners - are targed by young people that need money to pay for the drug they use. So, it is a very complicate task to talk about violence in Rio when some aspect are not put in account. Last July Rio de Janeiro hosted the WYD, an event that gathered togheter 3,5 million people in Copacabana. The Police Station of Copacabana registered - if I am not mistaken - only 34 incidents envolving robery. 34 in three days! Some years ago we had in Rio the so called "sequestro relâmpago" or quick kidnapping, but even this kind of crime nas not been seen. The same can be said about stray bullets. There is the stereotyped Rio and the real one.There is violence in Rio, but I insist, it is not that one some people think or say. Regardless to say we are talking about a city that represents veery well the issues of an entire developing country, with contraditions, inequalities and so on. You will not walk on Rio´s streets thinking you are in Copenhagen. You´d not be that naive, but I can assure you, if you follow some rules of easy understanding -like looking like the locals in dressing, mixing with native people, everything is gonna be ok.

• Like 2

About developing-looking, not everything in Rio and in Brazil looks like this.

We had witnessed lots of efforts to improve quality and looking of several things here.

I posted a picture of Rio International (yet operated by the inneficient public Airport Infra-structure company).

This is Brasilia International Airport (inaugurated last month after dramatic refurbshing), operated by private company

BVIaOI6.jpg

13896138755_6eef0b2b03_o.jpg

13898057863_2baa6ccecb_b.jpg

Brazil is experiencing a transformation age, there is lots to do, but we can see a lot of improvement in several things.

For example, until not many years ago, Brasilia International Airport didn't have air conditioning system, for example, they used empty-space archtecture as excuse to winds cool the air inside the terminal (something from the 60's that didn't work properly, of course)...

13898410074_b30cde3976_b.jpg

8763.jpg

I just loved how the Brasilia International is looking like right now.

Anxious to see the new terminals of Sao Paulo, Campinas and Natal to be opened in the next months.

And Paul...

Even parts of Rio may look like a developed country...

As we try to say here for several times. Rio is a city of contrasts, where poor and rich live together, where safe areas and violent ones exists inside the same city......

Barra da Tijuca and nearby districts

where most of the Olympics will be placed...

barra-da-tijuca-.jpg

ftdsc08127_1201880654.jpg

130348932816267202_800x720-1-fotomontage

i8sRY.jpg

F9bvM.jpg

It doesn't look that bad, right?

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

And since I love buses, I also like to compare things like this

late 80s/early 90s, when I was a kid and Brazil was pretty much a third world look-a-like country

76469502.jpg

mid-90s, when I was teenager and Brazil started some development

post8_imagem-5259.jpg

Now-a-days (Rio now have standard painting for all of its buses)

bf68bf1d1a855616af4737ab20275f3c.jpg

Edited by DannyelBrazil

I'm glad work is picking up and Rio, that comparison with the buses was really cool as well. Amazing what can happen in 20-25 years.

Of course not everything is advancing like buses and not all buses in Rio are yet air-conditioned, still, maybe it's what "developing" means: long path to go, but things have been improving.

:)

Of course not everything is advancing like buses and not all buses in Rio are yet air-conditioned, still, maybe it's what "developing" means: long path to go, but things have been improving.

:)

Yeah,I'm glad things are picking up. I have the feeling that these games will be similar to Barcelona in legacy terms. I could see this all resulting in huge developmental benefits for Rio.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Watching images from Brazil during the World Cup has made going to Rio in 2016 a more intriguing idea, but I fear it could cost too much, even up to 10 times more expensive than my very cheap trip to London.

It will depend on which kind of trip you want to do.

There are several nice hostels in Rio that can save you big money.

Some air tickets with more connections can save you some money too.

It's a matter of planing and if I can help, please, count on me. =]

• 2 weeks later...

There's a couple of travel agents in NZ that are planing 'bloc' tour all in one packages of Rio 2016. There's one I'm eyeing up costing about $16k but covers a heck of a lot including sports NZ will most likely medal in, like rowing, sevens, equestrian etc.

Having been to several Olympics... it can't really be done for "cheap", but it doesn't have to be super expensive. The package deal are always many multiples of what you can do if planning yourself.

Plane tickets are usually only slightly higher that what you would normally pay for a ticket that time of year. I'd certainlly also check out flights to Sao Paluo.... if it's a lot cheaper it might make sense to fly there instead.

Hotels are usually priced sky high.... in part because the IOC overbooks rooms and in part because hotel owners think they will get huge $$$ per night. I've found a place to stay for under $100 USD/night by staying in hostels / university dorms / ferries, etc. If you have balls of steel, you can also wait for the IOC to release their overbooked rooms which can be snapped up at reasonable prices by panicky owners. Happens every single time.

Tickets? Not sure what Rio will charge. Probably somewhere between Beijing (cheap!) and London (expensive!). I expect sevens to be one of the cheapest and easiest to get tickets. Rowing generally is one of the easier to get tickets too. Equestrian was extremely hard in '08 and '12... not sure what it will be in Brazil.

Having been to several Olympics... it can't really be done for "cheap", but it doesn't have to be super expensive. The package deal are always many multiples of what you can do if planning yourself.

Plane tickets are usually only slightly higher that what you would normally pay for a ticket that time of year. I'd certainlly also check out flights to Sao Paluo.... if it's a lot cheaper it might make sense to fly there instead.

Hotels are usually priced sky high.... in part because the IOC overbooks rooms and in part because hotel owners think they will get huge $$$ per night. I've found a place to stay for under $100 USD/night by staying in hostels / university dorms / ferries, etc. If you have balls of steel, you can also wait for the IOC to release their overbooked rooms which can be snapped up at reasonable prices by panicky owners. Happens every single time.

Tickets? Not sure what Rio will charge. Probably somewhere between Beijing (cheap!) and London (expensive!). I expect sevens to be one of the cheapest and easiest to get tickets. Rowing generally is one of the easier to get tickets too. Equestrian was extremely hard in '08 and '12... not sure what it will be in Brazil.

Considering Brazilians (lol), I'd say, for sure, that Volleyball, Football, Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Boxing, Swimming, Basketball, Tenis, Handball, Gymnastics, will be the ones to be sold first.

I agree on the accommodation, I actually paid a lot less for my hotel in London than the normal price would be when I booked it so late. The trip can be cheap if the games are close to your home and you only go for a few days, that way there's no need to spend a ton on plane tickets. Still, the rising prices in Brazil make me wonder if these could be the most expensive games since Sydney at least for anyone coming from outside South America.

• 1 month later...
Greetings!

I just came across the topic here on gamesbid.com, some of which were referring to making plans for 2016.

I'm a lifelong Olympic Fan, and was just wanting to know the best way to get to the 2016 games. (Traveling from Texas, USA)

1. What would you guys say about planning (safety, cost, etc..)?

2. I've been a TV videojournalist for eight years. Should I go as a photographer, volunteer, or general spectator?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

A$83

This stemmed from after the London 2012 Games. I made it a point to try to go, and it looks like now is the time.

@A-Money1983 I personally cannot give advice, but if you plan to go as a volunteer, some information about volunteering can be found on this thread: http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/23721-rio-2016-volunteers/ (registration will be open in 25 days as of this post date/time: http://www.rio2016.com/en/organising-committee/volunteers)

Thanks for sending me the link!

I noticed where it mentioned face-to-face interviews, and if it would require multiple trips to RDJ.

I just ask because it seems one trip is costly enough.

It would depend on if they find the right people and the right amount of people. Much like how there would be an audition recall. Not entirely sure on this, but I believe this would be the most probable reason to have you fly back to Rio multiple times. I'm sure the committee is going to create a proper 'duration of stay' timeframe to allow re-auditioning (if needed) without multiple trips (but that would probably mean a longer stay time in Rio).

Welcome right now we're not too focused on planning mostly because you can't buy air or events tickets. Danny can help you with planning but I can answer question 1

1.There are many flights to Rio and Sao Paulo from Texas. I know there is United from Houston and American from Dallas. You could also go to Miami too.I think Danny said it's cheaper if you DON'T go non stop

2.I don't know maybe you could work for OBS. Anyone know if he could

Dallas(including nearby airports) - Rio(including nearby airports): https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=DFW,DAL;t=SDU,GIG;d=2014-08-20;r=2014-08-24;q=DFW+to+Rio

Houston(including nearby airports) - Rio(including nearby airports): https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=HOU,IAH;t=GIG,SDU;d=2014-08-20;r=2014-08-25;q=Houston+to+Rio

The bar graph on the bottom of the calendar (when you are selecting the days) should display the cheapest days to fly :)