Going to Rio?

Idk, I find it a bit unfair that the British media continues to attack the Brazilian preparations. I can remember how pissed off I was when they did the same during Vancouver. The British media have a knack for getting under people's skin.

Our media is providing the truth with the Brazilian preparations. They are far behind schedule.

Thank You Rob. You hit the nail on the head.

Truly a lost cause to argue with ignorant people when their best point is they being born in "the best side of the world" and feel like they can judge, dismiss and know better about other's issues. And all of this in the most paternalistic way, as we get the likes of a very young member, which paints everything as The World against Britain trying to link a country's development with the ability of people to offer a decent, unbiased, non-nationalistic point of view. How can such a young person be so full of that? Is it school? Is it cultural atmosphere? Is it media?

Our sense of proportion on situations is based on our respective cultural subjectivities, and as such, if we can't truly relate or be touched by events like 9/11, the struggling social issues of developing nations, the Brazilian Military Dictatorship (also mocked here), the Phillipines Earthquake and other tragic issues like a national would, the only civilized statement would be the use of common sense and respect towards those affected by those situations.

Brazilian people hardly ever nationalist, because there's no underlying consensus (other than language) that rallies the nation and some here may know about the infamous mongrel complex cultural trait.

Dannyel's only goal in these boards for years (and I say this as someone who disagrees with him more than often) is trying to offer an insider POV on things related to his country and this has nothing to do with nationalism, as he doesn't brainlessly defend all things brazilian. Temper runs short, though, when foreigners insist on Heart of Darkness, arrogantly making any perspectives beside their own sound futile and 'third-wordly'.

The boards do have its fair share of nice, open minded people who doesn't fit in this decadent etnocentric state of mind. But it is unaccetable if here (as well as on SSC or any other forum) foreigners believe they can't learn better from a Brazilian (or a Mexican, or an Indian, or a South African) because these people can't offer a broad analysis of the places they live in. Chosing instead to base their arguments on the most simplistic ideas about things they know very little about.

• Like 2

Of course, people always fail to mention that the hacking scandal was also uncovered by a British newspaper, the Guardian, the same paper that has this week won the Pulitzer prize for journalism:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/apr/14/guardian-washington-post-pulitzer-nsa-revelations

We've got the best and worst jounalists in the world. Our media can be scum and self-interested, but it's also more vociferous than most which is why a big reason why the corrupt FIFA Exco hates England.

Anyone who claims the British media is all the same really has no clue.

The Guardian is really an example of good English media. They go straight to the point and does not use sensationalistic titles to start a report.

Indeed, one of the most accurates reports I read about World Cup preparations were made by them.

I never claimed all the British media sucks, but for sure, I don't like its, let me say... style (to be polite).

Our media is providing the truth with the Brazilian preparations. They are far behind schedule.

Thank You Rob. You hit the nail on the head.

There are a lot of inaccurate reports British media did about the World Cup preparations and we proved this hardly with pictures and other information.

This is an undeniable fact, Tony...

Truly a lost cause to argue with ignorant people when their best point is they being born in "the best side of the world" and feel like they can judge, dismiss and know better about other's issues. And all of this in the most paternalistic way, as we get the likes of a very young member, which paints everything as The World against Britain trying to link a country's development with the ability of people to offer a decent, unbiased, non-nationalistic point of view. How can such a young person be so full of that? Is it school? Is it cultural atmosphere? Is it media?

Our sense of proportion on situations is based on our respective cultural subjectivities, and as such, if we can't truly relate or be touched by (...)

:applause:

We poke fun at all the hosts it's what happens when you host the games. True, this IS Rio's time to shine, but it is hosting the largest event on earth. Expect some criticism and jokes, not to mention you have people coming from around the world, who, based on stereotypes have genuine worries about safety. With all that said Rio will be a great party, and I for one can not wait to go.

• Like 1

We poke fun at all the hosts it's what happens when you host the games. True, this IS Rio's time to shine, but it is hosting the largest event on earth. Expect some criticism and jokes, not to mention you have people coming from around the world, who, based on stereotypes have genuine worries about safety. With all that said Rio will be a great party, and I for one can not wait to go.

True enough!

It's a matter of learning for us, Brazilians. Ten or twenty years ago we were used to the fact Brazil was really not taken in count for anything, and this (to be a matter of discussions all around the globe) is something new to us.

Still, we get amazed how only one side is shown.

For example, in this very case of the federations complaints, NO (and I will repeat: NONE) of the big international media conglomerates asked the opinion of Rio 2016 committee or interviewed Rio's mayor.

Meanwhile, O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper made a big interview with Rio-2016 chairman and pointed some facts I didn't read in any of the posts here like:

- Why is Gymnastics Federations complaining about doubts over the venue, if their venue is totally ready since 2007 and been used.

- Rugby Federation is complaining because they will have a stadium with temporary stands for 3,000 people only. Rio 2016 chairman claims Rugby is not a big sport in Brazil and based on projections of tourists 3,000 seats arena is enough for the competitions.

- Shooting venue in Deodoro is totally ready since 2007 PanAms games and indeed hosted the World Championships lately, as the pictures...

6-9.jpg

11-4.jpg

10-5.jpg

Deodoro.jpg

STILL, DEODORO IS FACING HUGE DELAYS AND THE OTHER FEDERATIONS ARE TOTALLY RIGHT ON COMPLANING ABOUT VENUES, SPECIALLY HOCKEY ONE, WHO DIDN'T RECEIVED ANY RENDER OF THE HOCKEY VENUE SO FAR (WHICH IS A SHAME).

Big letters because some say I'm naive-nationalistic-childish defensive poster...

A really nice analysis made by a journalist from a Sports Newspapers said Carlos Nuzman, Brazilian NOC president got some power inside the IOC and many IF presidents are not aligned with him. Only Ary Graça, presidente of FIVB (Volleyball was the only sport to not show complaints about Rio 2016) is aligned with Nuzman, actually they are old old friends since Nuzman was the Brazilian Volleyball Federation President and Ary is Brazilian.

Where is this side of the story on the International Media links and reports?

Am I really crazy or naive?

Bonus picture, the Olympic Village works:

Foto-a%C3%A9rea-Vila-dos-Atletas.jpg

Progress on the village looks great!

As I said before, apart of the BIG problems in Deodoro, all the works for Rio 2016 are at full steam. But no matter how many pictures I post here to show it... Nobody cares. A line written by a journalist thousands of miles away worths more than dozens of pictures taken in Brazil...

Venues that are ready (yes, there are a bunch of them)

Maracanã Stadium
Home of Ceremony and Football finals
2013_646553415-2013_645685428-2013091368

João Havelange Stadium
(finishing the fixing the roof and to have 20,000 seats installed in 2015)
engenhao__pedro_kirilos_1282583601.jpg

HSBC Arena/Arena da Barra
Home of gymnastics and Basketball finals
fla+esporte+amador.jpg

Maracanãzinho Arena
Home of Volleyball matches
354462.jpg

Maria Lenk Aquatic Center
Water Polo
20120424-parque-aquatico-maria_lenk.jpg

Sambadrome
Final meters of Marathon and Archery venue
carnvalrj2013-586x439.jpg

Riocentro Exhibition Center
(to be refurbshed and to have temporary structure)
Home of several sports like Boxe, Taekwondo, Table Tennis, Greek-Roman fighting...
riocentro.jpg
Located meters away from the new Olympic Park

Athletes Park
diversao1.jpg

Deodoro Shooting Stand
2008-022291-_20080319.jpg

Deodoro Modern Pentathlon Venue
legadopan_deodoro1_leonardofilipo.jpg

Home of the World Military Games Rio 2011

Canoe/Rowing Lagoa Stadium

(needs improvements to reach Olympic Standards, still, most of construction was already done)

temp_.jpg

Referees Village (Vila Verde used during World Military Games)

vilaverde-ae470.jpg

you know what your problem is? you have no idea how the media or the world actually works. the brazilians here literally cannot comprehend why there are so many negative stories about their preparation issues in the western media.

the reason is because that's the story. that's what news is. the definition of newsworthy is:"of sufficient interest to the public or a special audience to warrant press attention or coverage."

"everything entirely on schedule with no delays" is not news, and thus does not get reported by news outlets.

"plane from kuala lumpur to beijing lands safely with no issues" is not news, and thus does not get reported by news outlets.

"plane goes missing en route from kuala lumpur to beijing" however is news.

"serious delays and concerns with rio construction" is also news, and thus gets reported on.

everything is SUPPOSED to be on time with no delays. i don't read the news sites to read what i already expect to be happening. at best, it's a boring puff piece; at worst it can lead to overconfidence and inertia.

danny's example of what he thinks makes a good story is case in point. the IF heads don't like brazil's NOC president because he has too much power and thus complain about rio overall in the press out of i don't know spite, i guess? leaving aside the fact that IOC party party politics is too esoteric and tedious for a mainstream news report, it sounds impossible to prove and easy to refute. you have no idea how many times editors read a draft of a story and go "there's no story here" or "let's switch focus to something else."

sometimes reporters do more research and analysis than people on internet message boards, but you'd never know it by reading this thread.

Football venues (for the World Cup that are already done and will be used in the Olympic Games)

Brasilia, Estadio Nacional

estadionacional_gramado02_820_danilo.jpg

Salvador, Arena Fonte Nova

Fontenova011.jpg

Belo Horizonte, Estádio do Mineirão

image.jpg

Rio de Janeiro, Maracanã

maracana_aldur.jpg

you know what your problem is? you have no idea how the media or the world actually works. the brazilians here literally cannot comprehend why there are so many negative stories about their preparation issues in the western media.

the reason is because that's the story. that's what news is. the definition of newsworthy is:"of sufficient interest to the public or a special audience to warrant press attention or coverage."

"everything entirely on schedule with no delays" is not news, and thus does not get reported by news outlets.

"plane from kuala lumpur to beijing lands safely with no issues" is not news, and thus does not get reported by news outlets.

"plane goes missing en route from kuala lumpur to beijing" however is news.

"serious delays and concerns with rio construction" is also news, and thus gets reported on.

everything is SUPPOSED to be on time with no delays. i don't read the news sites to read what i already expect to be happening. at best, it's a boring puff piece; at worst it can lead to overconfidence and inertia.

danny's example of what he thinks makes a good story is case in point. the IF heads don't like brazil's NOC president because he has too much power and thus complain about rio overall in the press out of i don't know spite, i guess? leaving aside the fact that IOC party party politics is too esoteric and tedious for a mainstream news report, it sounds impossible to prove and easy to refute. you have no idea how many times editors read a draft of a story and go "there's no story here" or "let's switch focus to something else."

sometimes reporters do more research and analysis than people on internet message boards, but you'd never know it by reading this thread.

Krow, take it easy.

I just pointed what Rio 2016 chairman said, and somehow, we must have the two sides of the story and then we make conclusions, at least, this is the first rule of journalism I learned at University.

I'm not saying Rio 2016 preparations is not delayed. It's a hell of delayed!

One entire cluster had no works for the last 4 years and this is shame. I'm not saying the media is wrong on pointing the truth about Deodoro. The thing is how to report things and how to exaggerate (or not) the problems.

You are getting my posts in a simplistic way. Put your prejudices against Brazilians aside and re-read what I said, but read it slowly.

PS: I am a journalist myself and work for the 2nd biggest Television network in this tiny planet, maybe (only maybe) I have some idea on how media works... And specially how sausage and journalists are made of...

Maybe (also) I have some idea on how the works are running in Brazil, maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee because I live here and have easy access to pictures, news and everything related... But this is only maybe...
Because maybe news organizations from abroad with their own interests and their public demands have a different way of reporting...
I already told it here, Brazilian media sucks as much as international one... We have our own microcosmos of biased news about Sao Paulo (and in part Rio, the "developed states") against the rest of the country... It's pretty much the same Developed Countries vs. Emerging World biased reports...

Maybe I know something about how media works... Maybe I'm just naive-defensive-whatever you guys call me...

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Works in Rio

This last saturday a new highway was opened to traffic in Barra (this highway goes from Barra main part to Linha Amarela highway - heading to the International Airport)

10175049_232784110252811_406315776993424

10156024_232784673586088_558558382757083

1544526_232784676919421_7775074307118609

Transcarioca BRT and Highway in the heart of Rio's suburb.

A lot of reurbanization have been done in this area, not the rich-touristic one.

2014-04-10-870.jpg

5lUoyRW.jpg

BRT bridge heading for International Airport

BRT Transcarioca will link Olympic Park, Barra and the Airport and it's key part on transportation system of Rio for 2016

f_241314.jpg

To be delivered late May 2014, already for the World Cup

The buses already serving BRT Transoeste in Rio (since 2011)

112_437-alt-brtnovo.jpg

The main BRT transfer terminal in Barra, already operational

1524759_675682645788233_1461513991_n.jpg

1532094_675682642454900_760132675_n.jpg

1497580_675682782454886_546913493_n.jpg

New International AIrport access

Mayor Pereira Passos Bridge

13513167123_60b98bca8d_b.jpg

BRT and Transolimpica Highway

New highway linking Barra and Olympic Park to Deodoro (one of my previous fears) is under full steam works

5GALERIA_20140402_CO_TCO_obras_MT199_zps

10156337_677434938969817_2122438803_o_zp

Subway line 4 linking South Zone (Copacabana and Ipanema) to Barra, Olympic Park

jPh3Wx1l.jpg

Ipanema district chaos due the works for Subway line 4

w8i1c7E.jpg

Barra-Jardim Oceanico Station

tjcDhAj.jpg

Ipanema-Nossa Senhora da Paz station

13405804063_d301f213e4_b.jpg

13405684105_4c1d006de3_b.jpg

Barra da Tijuca Subway works

2014_03_20_15_06_07.jpg

Rio de Janeiro International Airport delayed works

13251468835_48623da4d2_b.jpg

13251810334_6b74cffc9f_z.jpg

Why don't we get any news from all of these and other dozens of works happening in Rio on the international media?

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Why don't we get any news from all of these and other dozens of works happening in Rio on the international media?

It's good news that these improvements are happening but to be honest none of these projects look very impresive, these look like basic road maintenance and building projects any mid sized city would be doing all the time. I assume Rio would be doing many of these nessesary upgrades even if they were not planning an Olympics/WC. Looks like they were all desperately needed.

When you promise you are going to do everything ON TIME and show glamourous sparkling renderings of fantasy venues, then you can't expect anyone to be impressed with some road work and a mid size unfinished air terminal when there is an entire cluster not begun.

I'm sure Rio will make it, there will be banners and temporary grandstands and lots of fans having fun, it's just the Olympics..........it always comes off even if something is unfinished in time.

_44833394_montreal416.jpg

Edited by paul
  • Like 1

I'm going to be the bigger man and publicly apologise to Danny. I was wrong about you and misunderstood you. I'm not changing my views on how delayed Brazil is, but you are not as naive as much as I first thought you were. So here, I am sorry. Anyway, moving forward.

Rio 2016 Construction Works resumes with end of two-week strike. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2016/1019532-rio-2016-construction-work-resumes-with-end-of-two-week-strike - Source: Inside the Games. (Some positive news).

• Like 1

I'm going to be the bigger man and publicly apologise to Danny. I was wrong about you and misunderstood you. I'm not changing my views on how delayed Brazil is, but you are not as naive as much as I first thought you were. So here, I am sorry. Anyway, moving forward.

Rio 2016 Construction Works resumes with end of two-week strike. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2016/1019532-rio-2016-construction-work-resumes-with-end-of-two-week-strike - Source: Inside the Games. (Some positive news).

Moving forward and let's keep an eye on how Rio will or will not speed up works in certains areas.

It's good news that these improvements are happening but to be honest none of these projects look very impresive, these look like basic road maintenance and building projects any mid sized city would be doing all the time. I assume Rio would be doing many of these nessesary upgrades even if they were not planning an Olympics/WC. Looks like they were all desperately needed.

When you promise you are going to do everything ON TIME and show glamourous sparkling renderings of fantasy venues, then you can't expect anyone to be impressed with some road work and a mid size unfinished air terminal when there is an entire cluster not begun.

I'm sure Rio will make it, there will be banners and temporary grandstands and lots of fans having fun, it's just the Olympics..........it always comes off even if something is unfinished in time.

_44833394_montreal416.jpg

You are most right, what I post is not enough and I know it, still, those works maybe would take dozens of years to be ready and Olympic requirements did boosted a lot of projects in the city. Most of them will be useful only in 10 or more years, some were already needed.

Anyway, I just wanted to point that not everything are delays when it comes to Rio preparations, many things have been done in the city and the more I read in Brazilian press, more I'm getting about the real reasons Deodoro is delayed...

And how I hate our politicians because of that.

Indeed the fact of IOC member had a meeting with President Dilma gjave a lot to do with it...

As always nasty election stuff is playing a big role on it...

Pft, Danny, you think a little roadwork is going to get people excited about Rio 2016??? I think you need to explain some of the ways Rio will be even better than London and Beijing. Starting with pics

Nice pics, this is something you won't really find in London nor (specially) in Beijing.

Back to your post, I really don't remember when Rio Committee sold the idea Rio would host the best games ever or best games than London or Beijing.

Pretty much otherwise, Rio mayor always said that the goal is legacy since we can not compare Rio to London in several topics... And legacy was the card Rio played during the bid competition.

At that point, in 2009, and with all reason, nobody here believe in the fact Rio could improve its aging infrastructure to receive the games.

What the pictures say? Rio is hardly improving its aging infra-structure to received well tourists and athletes.

For American standards to have several highways crossing a "middle city" is common. In Latin America, this is huge, be sure.

Not only this, all of those works are part of the bid plan and "things to do document" (don't know the translation) Rio signed with IOC, so... There is no need to "reduce" the importance of the city improvement works.

It is part of Rio 2016, the works are at full steam and Rio is already in transformation, thankfully.

PS: Rio International Airport will be operated by Changi Airport Co (The operator of Singapore Airport, considered the best in the planet). The full private operation starts in august after the World Cup. There is big expectations about it.

Edited by DannyelBrazil