Going to Rio?

you can't really say you've been to rio until you've been mugged by local street roughs or have a piece of handluggage stolen. it's in all the brochures.

Never been to Rio, tho... Despite the fact I lived there for most of my life...

So someone tell me give me a typical day of what they did in London just wondering

You can read some of our member blogs from the games:

Citius Altius Fortius - Castaways on the Isles of Wonder

FD London - Mine's a Pint of London Pride

Daveypodmore - Pomp & Circumstances

Sir Rols - Greenwich Mean Time

Citizen Seth - The Hour in the Grass

FiveRingFever - Five Ring Fever Vancouver Strain

Edited by Sir Rols

You can read some of our member blogs from the games:

Citius Altius Fortius - Castaways on the Isles of Wonder

FD London - Mine's a Pint of London Pride

Daveypodmore - Pomp & Circumstances

Sir Rols - Greenwich Mean Time

Citizen Seth - The Hour in the Grass

FiveRingFever - Five Ring Fever Vancouver Strain

Awesome Thanks Sir Rols

you can't really say you've been to rio until you've been mugged by local street roughs or have a piece of handluggage stolen. it's in all the brochures.

it's like going to sochi and not finding surprise fees, which must be paid immediately and in cash.

if you like grisly details (and who doesn't?) you might like this site. keep a tab open for google translate.

Rio is not an exception among the largest metropolis around the world. Of course, there is the possibility of being stolen in Rio, as in Paris, NY and so on. But let me confess you, I live in Rio and I have never had belongs of mine stolen. On the contrary,For 3 or 4 times I lost my wallet on the streets and sub, people found it and gave it back to me. There are some areas where you are more vulnerable, as it happens in the French capital city metro. All you have to do is to avoid such places and everything will be ok. BTW, Rio´s sub is a very safe place, Last week, a womam almost had ner necklace stolen during an interview to a TV channel, close to the Central do Brasil station, a place that is, indeed, very fragile in safety. There is violence in Rio. But I can assure you it is not that one some people think or say.

oh please, paris and NY are disneyland in comparison.

take a look at that website i posted and tell me there's not a serious problem with street crime in rio. it's not hyperbole or a takedown from someone who's anti brazil, it's just true.

dismissing it as a few isolated incidents in bad areas or comparing it to paris doesn't make the problem go away and truthfully does no one any favors.

To be honest I'm more scared of being shot or trafficked in Rio than mugged. Hell if someone tried to mug me I would give them my **** with open arms, none of it's valuable. I guess the best thing to do is know your way around the city, do not act like a tourist, speak some good Portuguese, and do not wear anything that attracts attention. That last one will be hard for me, I like my Lacoste and Oxfords/Sperry's.

To be honest I'm more scared of being shot or trafficked in Rio than mugged. Hell if someone tried to mug me I would give them my **** with open arms, none of it's valuable. I guess the best thing to do is know your way around the city, do not act like a tourist, speak some good Portuguese, and do not wear anything that attracts attention. That last one will be hard for me, I like my Lacoste and Oxfords/Sperry's.

oh this is a terrific question.

danny and other brazilians whose names i can't pronounce as well: what should we wear in rio to avoid getting mugged?

google maps street view is telling me short sleeve striped polo shirts, medium wash jeans and nikes. do you guys have a national uniform or something?

oh and what should we wear to avoid being trafficked as sex slaves or held hostage for six-figure wire payments my parents will have to raise on kickstarter by going on the news? i have blue eyes remember, so that's working against me and also i'll need colors that match.

also, mr bernham wants to know what to wear in brazil to avoid getting shot. my guess is dark colors (bonus: slimming) and absorbent fabrics (blood slips out of poly blends too easily), but maybe everything's upside down there.

• Like 1

If you guys really think like this (and I think you are not, you are just intending to be funny in a very clueless way), just avoid to come to Rio.

If "being trafficked or become a sex slave" is a matter of concern, the best to do is keeping reading internet at home and enjoy all the trustable safety of your beautiful countries.

nuff said.

oh please, paris and NY are disneyland in comparison.

take a look at that website i posted and tell me there's not a serious problem with street crime in rio. it's not hyperbole or a takedown from someone who's anti brazil, it's just true.

dismissing it as a few isolated incidents in bad areas or comparing it to paris doesn't make the problem go away and truthfully does no one any favors.

Ask my grandmother who was mugged in Paris subway and never in Brazil... You'd amazed about how the world can be weird sometimes...

PS: Rio does have violence problems, specially about drug dealers fighting for selling spots <=== This is a critical problem.

Krow, isn't it just funny to think there are some American cities with worse murder rates than Rio like...

Detroit (54 per 100,000 habitants), New Orleans (53 per 100,000 habitants), Baltimore (35 per 100,000 habitants) or St. Louis (35 per 100,000 habitants), Newark (33 per 100,000 habitants)...

source: http://www.policymic.com/articles/22686/america-s-10-deadliest-cities-2012

Rio de Janeiro (32 per 100,000 habitants)

Sao Paulo (14 per 100,000 habitants)

source: http://g1.globo.com/brasil/noticia/2013/12/homicidio-cai-no-rj-e-em-sp-mas-cresce-em-cidades-pequenas-diz-ipea.html

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Rio dress code...

To blend in with the locals
turistas-de-Conquista.jpg

0,,33502594-EX,00.jpg

To look and obvious tourists and attract wrong attention

9064843.jpg

tropical-tourist-hawaiian-costume-8bab76

The lesson is: wear informal cloths for warm temperatures, flip flops and do not carry eletronics visible.

Rio is not a Safari or a kind of South Pacific/Hawaiian party...

Danny you cannot be that naive. Brazil and Rio have very, very high crime rates. Just because you do not personally know someone that is a victim of crime does not make that statement untrue.

How am I being naive after saying:

PS: Rio does have violence problems, specially about drug dealers fighting for selling spots <=== This is a critical problem.

And I am a victim of robbery myself, actually 4 times already... 3 in Santos and 1 in Sao Paulo.

And I know a bunch of people who was already being robbed, when I said my grandmother was not mugged in Brazil, but in Paris, is just to show - and I was very clear by writing it with all letters - how the world can be weird.

Rio does have problems with crime (drug-dealers-related are serious stuff, mugging and robbery are not that big as drug-dealers related, still it does exist and it is a concern, specially when tourists can be targets).

This said, there is something you guys are clearing ignoring... As you may know, Brazil is known for its unequality and this happens also with crime... When claiming Rio have 33 murders per 100,000 habitants, this not mean all the city has the exact amount of crime equally.

Copacabana, Barra and other touristic areas are a lot of times safer than some poor areas in the North part of the city. It's not hard to understand a city, specially in an emerging country, can have lots of contrasts, specially being a big metro area with 13 million plus citizen living on it...

Edited by DannyelBrazil

If you guys are scared of Rio, don't go. But keep in mind its a town of millions of residents where millions of tourists go and have a great time every year. It's one of the most beautiful and fun party towns in the world, not some hell hole. Add the Olympics on top of that... it's going to be one heck of a good time.

• Like 2

If you guys are scared of Rio, don't go. But keep in mind its a town of millions of residents where millions of tourists go and have a great time every year. It's one of the most beautiful and fun party towns in the world, not some hell hole. Add the Olympics on top of that... it's going to be one heck of a good time.

oh believe me, i WILL go to rio and i WILL get mugged. i might even get shot, kidnapped, and human trafficked now just for spite. i'll show you. i'll show you all.

oh believe me, i WILL go to rio and i WILL get mugged. i might even get shot, kidnapped, and human trafficked now just for spite. i'll show you. i'll show you all.

Well, after all, you will be claiming you had a genuine exotic adventure South-of-Equator, right?

It's funny that everything Dannyel says here, giving another point of view, is immediately refused by saying he is being naive. I think absolutely disrespectfull the way some here are using this opportunity to say so many bad things about Brazil. In any moment here any of the Brazilians said that we live in a dreamland, full of rainbows and unicorns. People are always showing you the truth about stadiums, safety and other issues. Why do we get back this kind of treatment?

I live in Rio. 30 years now. I've NEVER been mugged, kidnapped, shot or trafficked. Of course, sadly, we live in a developing country. We still have a lot of inequality related problems, despite of the last 10, or 15 years, of improvement social and economically. There's still A LOT to do. This has never been denied.

We do face security issues. We do have part of the city (of the cities in Brazil) where crime rates are sadly high. We face drug related problems (which, by the way, is sold and financed by who? Tell me about it...). We face a situation of a State that is still developing its way of attending people rights, after 20 years of a coward dictatorship (financed and supported by who, tell me about it...), and only 30 years of democracy after that (half of that in a neoliberal conception of State, violating rights and not giving attention to social needs... following which rules? Tell me about it). Not to mention we only have 500 years of history and a explotation past, on the contrary of many out there.

I am saying all this NOT to excuse anything. As I said before, it does not excuse stadiums problems or other issues. But it is hard to read a forum where it is OK to discuss anything related to the event, and get to read RACIST and prejudicial comments. I will alert Brazilian oficials from different institutions to take a look here and see what's been said and done in such an important forum. It's also a shame that the moderation does not realize what's happening around here. Some members are serious and do have the right to be as critical as they want. But there are others who are going way beyond what's expected to a Forum.

Dannyel congrats for your patience.

• Like 1

Not everybody... that's why many are comming to the World Cup and will certainly come to the Olympic Games. Only some disrespectful ones. There's a great difference between critics and prejudice, racism.

Beijinho no ombro pro recalque passar longe...

"oh and what should we wear to avoid being trafficked as sex slaves or held hostage for six-figure wire payments my parents will have to raise on kickstarter by going on the news? i have blue eyes remember, so that's working against me and also i'll need colors that match.

also, mr bernham wants to know what to wear in brazil to avoid getting shot. my guess is dark colors (bonus: slimming) and absorbent fabrics (blood slips out of poly blends too easily), but maybe everything's upside down there."

Do you consider this a normal comment?

thorbr. It happens to ALL host countries. And what do you think? Just becuz u are hosting, everyone should bow and shower you with praises? Why? If you are going to be in the world spotlight...and especially if you are going to pay good money for what hopefully will be a good experience, it is better to know what you are getting into...and not one with rose-colored glasses.

It's called viewing the world in a realistic, adult-wisened way...not a naive, childish view.

Again the naive card? Come on guys... I see you are acting in a different manner nowadays, Baron. Much different from back 2009, during the bid process. As I said, there is NO PROBLEM AT ALL in revealing, with a spotlight, all of our problems. In the contrary, in may opinion it is extremelly helpfull. It's due to the problems, among other questions, we are facing hosting both the WC and the Olympics, that people went to the streets last year, and probably will again this year. These people, including myself, totally agree with all the points you are pointing out here. That's exactly what Dannyel has been saying for years here.

BUT, it is totally different from the last posts from Krow. Can't you agree with that? He is not discussing security issues. He is beeing prejudicial, sarcastic and acting in a much stronger childish way than me or Dannyel.

I would love to start discussing with you guys about the problems. Including giving another point of view that sometimes you get from the media, both Brazilian or English, or from wherever. I don't think that having a different point of view, when we DO NOT deny the problems, is being naive.

Not everybody... that's why many are comming to the World Cup and will certainly come to the Olympic Games. Only some disrespectful ones. There's a great difference between critics and prejudice, racism.

Beijinho no ombro pro recalque passar longe...

"oh and what should we wear to avoid being trafficked as sex slaves or held hostage for six-figure wire payments my parents will have to raise on kickstarter by going on the news? i have blue eyes remember, so that's working against me and also i'll need colors that match.

also, mr bernham wants to know what to wear in brazil to avoid getting shot. my guess is dark colors (bonus: slimming) and absorbent fabrics (blood slips out of poly blends too easily), but maybe everything's upside down there."

Do you consider this a normal comment?

you obviously don't speak enough english to understand humor in our language. but faulting a forum where you barely speak a recognizable form of its main language is insulting and presumptive in its own obnoxious way.

reread what baron wrote above. there's truth to that. the brazilians here have been acting very entitled, childish, defensive, and naive, and you first among them.

you're hosting two events on the world stage. for the first time, developed nations are holding you to their admittedly high standards. if you don't like it, you shouldn't have bid. when it comes to the olympics there isn't one set of rules for developing countries and another for developed ones.

if you don't like jokes on the high crime rate in brazil i simply don't know what to tell you. it's not as if you're above getting your own digs in, as we saw when you all but blamed the US for the high rate of drug-related crime in your country. just as the US must take responsibility for its drug usage statistics, brazil must take some responsibility of its own.

Whether the humor probably did cross the line, I don't know. Regardless, the Brazilian members on here (With exception to Bezzi) and the Brazilian Members on SSC are being very defensive, childish and naive. On SSC, they reckon that the 2014 Fifa World Cup and Rio 2016 preparations are on track and have no issues. On here, it's mainly Dannyel being naive. He attacks English media, because he can't face the facts, even though the World media is reporting all of this aswell. They are very defensive. Look, Fifa set the World Cup deadline as 31st December 2013. Only 6 of the 12 Stadiums were ready before then and they were the 2013 Fifa Confederations Cup Stadiums. Look at Rio 2016, many of the Buildings aren't even off the ground and test events start next year! They have had 7 years to prepare for both the World Cup and Olympics, that's plenty of time. Stop being defensive and face the facts.

It's funny that everything Dannyel says here, giving another point of view, is immediately refused by saying he is being naive. I think absolutely disrespectfull the way some here are using this opportunity to say so many bad things about Brazil. In any moment here any of the Brazilians said that we live in a dreamland, full of rainbows and unicorns. People are always showing you the truth about stadiums, safety and other issues. Why do we get back this kind of treatment?

I live in Rio. 30 years now. I've NEVER been mugged, kidnapped, shot or trafficked. Of course, sadly, we live in a developing country. We still have a lot of inequality related problems, despite of the last 10, or 15 years, of improvement social and economically. There's still A LOT to do. This has never been denied.

We do face security issues. We do have part of the city (of the cities in Brazil) where crime rates are sadly high. We face drug related problems (which, by the way, is sold and financed by who? Tell me about it...). We face a situation of a State that is still developing its way of attending people rights, after 20 years of a coward dictatorship (financed and supported by who, tell me about it...), and only 30 years of democracy after that (half of that in a neoliberal conception of State, violating rights and not giving attention to social needs... following which rules? Tell me about it). Not to mention we only have 500 years of history and a explotation past, on the contrary of many out there.

I am saying all this NOT to excuse anything. As I said before, it does not excuse stadiums problems or other issues. But it is hard to read a forum where it is OK to discuss anything related to the event, and get to read RACIST and prejudicial comments. I will alert Brazilian oficials from different institutions to take a look here and see what's been said and done in such an important forum. It's also a shame that the moderation does not realize what's happening around here. Some members are serious and do have the right to be as critical as they want. But there are others who are going way beyond what's expected to a Forum.

Dannyel congrats for your patience.

Racism is totally unacceptable, but how is pointing out facts about the issues with preparations being racist? Also, most Brazilian members I have come across on here and SSC are being naive, defensive and can't face the facts. Instead, to try and defend the issues, they accuse everyone else of being racist, just because everyone provides the facts.