Going to Rio?

Dear G-d I say something nice about Brazil for onces and Danny completely ignores it because there is a page and a half of people trying to reason with and intentionaly infuriate a dumb little Englander.

Baron, like Danny said, the vaccines are not 100% necessary. If you are going into the interior of Brazil or parts of the North getting things like yellow fever and typhoid. For instane if you would be going to Manaus or Brasilia for World Cup games this year, yellow fever is a must. A popular side trip from Rio is to go to Igassau Falls, you will need yellow fever for there. So I mean it is better to be safe than sorry, but if you are staying within Rio solely, not a worry.

Another example that I am fairly familiar with is Panama, for those going east of the Canal, yellow fever is a must, for those staying within an hour of the Canal or traveling overland between Costa Rica and Panama it is not.

Dear G-d I say something nice about Brazil for onces and Danny completely ignores it because there is a page and a half of people trying to reason with and intentionaly infuriate a dumb little Englander.

Baron, like Danny said, the vaccines are not 100% necessary. If you are going into the interior of Brazil or parts of the North getting things like yellow fever and typhoid. For instane if you would be going to Manaus or Brasilia for World Cup games this year, yellow fever is a must. A popular side trip from Rio is to go to Igassau Falls, you will need yellow fever for there. So I mean it is better to be safe than sorry, but if you are staying within Rio solely, not a worry.

Another example that I am fairly familiar with is Panama, for those going east of the Canal, yellow fever is a must, for those staying within an hour of the Canal or traveling overland between Costa Rica and Panama it is not.

I got it cleared up from my friend yesterday. Becuz he was having 3 vaccine shots that day (tetanus in left arm; typhoid in the right...) the YF one went just slightly to the back of his left shoulder...like around the flank of the shoulder blade where there was still muscle. I thought it was something like rabies shots which are administered truly in the back. And yeah, I get that whole coastal/inland thing altho I might want to go to Iguazu. Surely that would count as coastal, with all that water, no???

So with that news, I'm back on the track on possible doing Rio. Danny, roll out those 5-star hotels for me!! B)

typical faster, starting drama instead of actually responding to the topic at hand, which hasn't had anything to do with rio for pages.

Well, people, it's not like health workers aren't used to seeing thousands of derrières on a regular basis. It's not like they care gazing at the dark side of the moon after so many years, right?

Another relevant info: The Yellow Fever vaccine should be taken at least 10 days before you travel to endemic areas to ensure full immunization. Only Cuiabá, Manaus and Brasília are located in endemic zones. Risks are very low, but why should anyone skip proper measures?

I'm trying to help, believe me...

Actually I went to Iguazu Falls, stayed there for 10 days and got no vaccination to go there. Still, for foreigners visiting Iguazu Falls, I do recommend you to take the vaccination. As Victor wisely said: better safe than sorry.

For Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo, no vaccination is need.

So with that news, I'm back on the track on possible doing Rio. Danny, roll out those 5-star hotels for me!! B)

I already told you, we must drink some caipirinhas during Rio 2016, otherwise, it wouldn't be a full Olympics experience for me...

• Like 1

I already told you, we must drink some caipirinhas during Rio 2016, otherwise, it wouldn't be a full Olympics experience for me...

i loove caipirinhas. danny, are there other cachaca cocktails popular in brazil?

i loove caipirinhas. danny, are there other cachaca cocktails popular in brazil?

Yes, Caipiroska is very popular. It's Caipirinha but made with Vodka instead of Cachaça.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can certainly empathise with that. I'd go as are as saying that if you want to follow most sports, it's always more enlightening to watch them on TV - better angles, close ups on techniques an reactions and emotions, commentary and explanation. But, of course, that can't beat the experience of being there in person.

Anyway, the whole topic has got me daydreaming. I think London cured me over trying to pack in too much. I think I refined my list of what I'd like to go to if I make it to Rio to just four or five. If I can get tickets to: rugby (sevens is great at the best of times, and to see it Olympic debut, fantastic!), beach volleyball (surely likely to be the best ticket in Rio), track cycling (which I've never been to yet) and maybe a visit to anything in the athletics stadium (gotta go see the main venue), all within a short block of days, I might really start to consider it seriously.

Is any football happening at the Maracana or is it only for ceremonies? It'd be great to be able to say I'd seen football at the grand temple of the sport.

I think for me the ideal solution would be a few days' visit to the host city seeing some of my favorite sports. What London taught me was that there is no sense in attending sports that don't interest me generally outside of the games so I would begin everything with ticket hunting. The Olympic status alone won't make them appealing at all. With London that was easy as it was a short hop from home but Rio would require a day of travelling to get there. As I couldn't and probably wouldn't spend two weeks in Rio I would have to combine the beginning or end of the games with a trip to somewhere else in Brazil/South America.

• Like 1

What London taught me was that there is no sense in attending sports that don't interest me generally outside of the games so I would begin everything with ticket hunting. The Olympic status alone won't make them appealing at all.

For me personally, I wouldn't underestimate those underrated sports tix. They're a great way to soak up the Olympic atmosphere, get entry to the venues, are usual easier and cheaper to get and can prove quite a pleasant surprise. Handball, for instance, I have zero interest in or knowledge of, but it was an easy ticket for me to pick up during the games in London, so I went (to a semi-final) and had a great time, saw some great action and got an appreciation of the sport. And the crowds are usually enthusiastic as well - they're usually from the six million plus or so applicants who missed out on tickets to the OC or the 100m sprint final, and are just happy to get any tickets now (same goes for the paralympics). I was actually mulling trying (if I do indeed end up going) for some minor ones in Rio. Say, archery or shooting or badminton or judo.

• Like 1

For me personally, I wouldn't underestimate those underrated sports tix. They're a great way to soak up the Olympic atmosphere, get entry to the venues, are usual easier and cheaper to get and can prove quite a pleasant surprise. Handball, for instance, I have zero interest in or knowledge of, but it was an easy ticket for me to pick up during the games in London, so I went (to a semi-final) and had a great time, saw some great action and got an appreciation of the sport. And the crowds are usually enthusiastic as well - they're usually from the six million plus or so applicants who missed out on tickets to the OC or the 100m sprint final, and are just happy to get any tickets now (same goes for the paralympics). I was actually mulling trying (if I do indeed end up going) for some minor ones in Rio. Say, archery or shooting or badminton or judo.

Actually I agree with you on this one too. Having said that I only watch the same sports as outside the games I might have expressed myself badly cause in reality there are many sports that I follow only every four years when they get into the limelight so it's not about following my traditional favorites only. On the other hand, for example football gets otherwise so much attention that the second class Olympic tournament doesn't interest me at all, especially not the men's tournament.

Yeah, there might be some pleasant surprises and maybe you never can be sure without experiencing but some events are still tedious no matter what, be it in Olympic Games or somewhere else. Personally, I have never found swimming interesting on tv and after attending some other water sports I have zero interest in even trying to find out if I have been wrong.

Sports like judo, wrestling etc allow you to see Olympic action but not fork over the high prices of the premium events.

I enjoy team sports as a spectator and have found the crowds at them to be extremely friendly. My biggest target if I were to go to Rio would be rugby.

well we all know FASTER'S taste in men (bleh).

my biggest target if i were to go to rio would be diving (omg). it's like paying a cover for a really hot club where all the guys are hot, shirtless and wet. it's like paying a cover for a regular club, in other words.

Diving is one of those sports that is tough to watch in person. Jump, blur, splash. Next diver. Jump, blur, splash. Oh, that was much better???

If I'm able to go, I'm a bit torn on what to see. The chance to see Football and Beach Volleyball in Brazil is hard to pass up. I kinda wanna see golf. Rio is a good opportunity to see sailing (which I've never been to). People tell me Rugby will be great, but I know zip about the sport (let's see what they come up with for a stadium and tournament format). And for any Olympics I want to get at least one ticket in the Olympic Park... and something with an exciting gold medal race. All that adds up to too many events. Gonna be interesting to cut down the list. Then I have to see what's actually available.

So someone tell me give me a typical day of what they did in London just wondering

Also

How Bad Is Brazil's Crime? Watch This Mugging On Live TV

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/04/10/301414958/live-on-brazilian-tv-woman-talking-about-crime-gets-attacked?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20140410

you can't really say you've been to rio until you've been mugged by local street roughs or have a piece of handluggage stolen. it's in all the brochures.

it's like going to sochi and not finding surprise fees, which must be paid immediately and in cash.

if you like grisly details (and who doesn't?) you might like this site. keep a tab open for google translate.

well we all know FASTER'S taste in men (bleh).

my biggest target if i were to go to rio would be diving (omg). it's like paying a cover for a really hot club where all the guys are hot, shirtless and wet. it's like paying a cover for a regular club, in other words

Divers are far too skinny, same with swimmers.

the_chris_evans_blog-1.jpg

My taste in men.