Going to Rio?

i don't know.... there's something about the very real possibility of getting mugged in the subway that's really bringing out the olympic spirit in me. i may put in for tickets. too many years away to think about. didn't we just have an olympics like last month?

Hmmm. I don't mind the jabs, and hubby's a frickin' drill sargeant when it comes to coaching me how not to act like a clueless gringo within the wilds of untamed Latin America. I'd be nice to go, and Rio even by itself is high on my bucket list.

But I don't like planning trips too far ahead, and the Olympics you really gotta start properly plotting two or so years in advance with all the hoops you gotta go through with ticketing and then lining up accommodation and so on. It's not like you can decide two weeks before the games: "Oh that sounds nice, I've got a bit a bit of splurge money, I might pop over and take in some sports.". If I hadn't have gone to London (and that was a rush job at eight months out before I started getting my act together), these would probably be the ones I'd be really longing for the chance to go to. Now it's more, que sera, sera.

I agree with Rols that Rio is up there on the travel list. I guess I was taking the past host cities for granted. Didn't really think of all the various vaccinations needed for countries like Brazil and South Africa.

I remember someone saying here on the forums that the tickets for Rio are going to be much more affordable then past games? That sounds appealing but yeah the general consensus seems to be that the city is unsafe. Guess i'll see how the World Cup turns out and that might make an impact on my decision

I've had yellow fever vaccination before travelling to South America but I doubt it is necessary in urban places like Rio. Not a big deal anyway.

Going to Rio at this point looks like 50-50 to me, or maybe it's slightly more probable that I'll stay home. Rio will nevertheless require lot's of planning, with London I was quite spontaneous and made the decision to go only in late May after having visited the city two months before the Games, but even with all the hassle of ticket hunting for the most popular events it was a walk in the park compared to what a trip to Rio would most likely require both in terms of money and effort.

2020 will be equally distant and expensive and even though Japan as a travel destination is intriguing, Rio surely is a much more appealing host city. Even the 2024 games could have an impact as by next year the race for them should start to unfold. A strong bid from Durban without good European candidates could increase the possibility of me hopping on a plane to Brazil.

Many don't agree with me but I might prefer to watch the games at home. Of course if you want to experience them there's no alternative to going to the host city but attending London reinforced my belief that if you want to follow the sports as closely as possible it's much easier at home when there are multiple channels available and you're not limited to just the live event you're witnessing and travelling between different sites. They can be both enjoyable but very different, it's just a matter of preference. In any case, with such a rare event it's best to know what one really wants.

For Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo no vaccination is required.

Brasilia is in the middle of the country, in the middle of a Savannah, that's why some vaccinations are mandatory.

i don't know.... there's something about the very real possibility of getting mugged in the subway that's really bringing out the olympic spirit in me. i may put in for tickets. too many years away to think about. didn't we just have an olympics like last month?

Maybe the subway of Rio or Sao Paulo are the safest places of both cities.

I strong recommend to use common sense in areas like beaches or crowded streets, but not in the Subway systems...

And I do ask you guys to avoid favela-tours. Still, if you guys really need to do it, search carefully for tour operator with experience on doing it and NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRR! go by yourselves.

Apart of it, just have fun, drink a lot of caipirinhas and do use sun-filter.

• Like 1

For Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo no vaccination is required.

Brasilia is in the middle of the country, in the middle of a Savannah, that's why some vaccinations are mandatory.

Maybe the subway of Rio or Sao Paulo are the safest places of both cities.

I strong recommend to use common sense in areas like beaches or crowded streets, but not in the Subway systems...

Apart of it, just have fun, drink a lot of caipirinhas and do use sun-filter.

Will these be safe to eat in Rio or Sao P, Danny? ;):DB)

subwaysandwich.jpg

Will these be safe to eat in Rio or Sao P, Danny? ;):DB)

subwaysandwich.jpg

Be our guests!

http://www.subway.com.br/pertodevoce/#

(Just type Rio de Janeiro and choose one of the dozens of Subway restaurants in the town...)

Be aware, this is how Subway restaurants looks like in Brazil... :rolleyes:

e11c8e613ff96dae40f974527e573894.jpg

"ABERTO" means "Open"

Don't forget to ask Subway "Steak Churrasco", the Brazil-exclusive Subway BBQ sandwich ;)

999500_533436590036909_1805232417_n.jpg

Edited by DannyelBrazil

I'm already sending a report to Rio City Hall to make them know it...

Thanks for the sarcasm. Anyway, from 2016 onwards, I hope to go to every Fifa World Cup and UEFA Euro and Summer and Winter Olympics and Youth Olympics Games AND Commonwealth Games. So Russia 2018 World Cup and Qatar 2022 World Cup, France Euro 2016, Multi Euro 2020, Rio 2016, Tokyo 2020, PyeongChang 2018, Hopefully Oslo 2022, Lillehammer 2016, Buenos Aires 2018 and hopefully Lausanne 2020, Gold Coast 2018 and hopefully Durban 2022. Also, the 2017 World Athletics Championships here in my home city of London.

Tony did you not go to any events in 2012?

I went to some Swimming and Diving events, and the Opening Ceremony of the Paralympic Games.

Thanks for the sarcasm. Anyway, from 2016 onwards, I hope to go to every Fifa World Cup and UEFA Euro and Summer and Winter Olympics and Youth Olympics Games AND Commonwealth Games. So Russia 2018 World Cup and Qatar 2022 World Cup, France Euro 2016, Multi Euro 2020, Rio 2016, Tokyo 2020, PyeongChang 2018, Hopefully Oslo 2022, Lillehammer 2016, Buenos Aires 2018 and hopefully Lausanne 2020, Gold Coast 2018 and hopefully Durban 2022. Also, the 2017 World Athletics Championships here in my home city of London.

Please tell me this is a joke?

Tony, can you pay for my university tuition too??

Please tell me this is a joke?

Tony, can you pay for my university tuition too??

I didn't say I am, I said I HOPE to. It's called having dreams. Yes, some might stay as dreams, but some might turn into reality.

I would never pay for your tuition fees. Anyway, it's called dreams. We all have dreams and want things.

Yeah but Tony this is unrealistic. You'll be swimming in fees for school, and once you have a job you can't take multiple two week vacations every year.

• Like 2

Yeah but Tony this is unrealistic. You'll be swimming in fees for school, and once you have a job you can't take multiple two week vacations every year.

I've left school. I got home taught from my 15th Birthday in May 2012, I get home taught now right up till I'm 18 and I will work in Security with my Dad when I turn 18.

It'd be wise to check if the health policy in your country covers immunization for tropical diseases such as yellow fever, which is a compulsory vaccine and freely distributed here. Cases are efficiently controlled and since 1999 Brazil only has some 30 cases of yellow fever per year in endemic areas such as the North and Center-West. If I remember correctly, every foreigner is allowed to receive a shot of any schedule vaccines on the catalogue for free! You'll earn a card to keep a record of it.

Immunization and epidemic control policies in Brazil are one of the most efficient in the planet and, in fact, Brazilian Health Surveillance Agency is very concerned about tourists bringing erradicated diseases such as measles, and god knows what more...

The YF shot is taken in the arm, lasts for 10 years and can make you sleepy and a slightly feverish for a few worries. Foreigners should, as Dannyel said before, use common sense in the streets and don't stuff on Brazilian food (such as feijoada, coxinha, acarajé and other snacks) before any events during the hot hours of the day.

• Like 2