Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

San Diego Submits 2024 Summer Games Bid Proposal

They won't beat the likes of Rome, Paris, Berlin and Durban.

Actually, if Durban is out of the picture, that slightly increases SD's chances.

Actually, if Durban is out of the picture, that slightly increases SD's chances.

Yeah but they still need to get past the US biding.

I wonder if they will have anything big in the city promoting the olympics cause I'm going there next week...

Well then whats that piece of over nationalistic crap?

A temporary place-holding image, not a final logo.

I actually think San Diego has a lot of appeal. It's a beautiful place. I don't fancy their odds against Paris, but otherwise they probably aren't as weak as some here seem to think. Airport is a consideration.

They can just easily boast Tijuana's airport and existing hotel infrastructure as a bonus to whatever they already have.

Although obviously no events will be held in Tijuana, there's no reason they couldn't include a mention of the neighbouring city that can be the "solution" to any air transport and accommodation problems SD currently has.

yes, because the US/Mexican border is easily crossed all the time, no?

And then there's people worried about Polish/Slovak borders in 2022...

San Diego would be way below my "rule of thumb" that an city needs a metro area population of at least 5 million to survive a Summer OG. There may be some wiggle room because it's in the USA, but even so, I do wonder.

They can just easily boast Tijuana's airport and existing hotel infrastructure as a bonus to whatever they already have.

Although obviously no events will be held in Tijuana, there's no reason they couldn't include a mention of the neighbouring city that can be the "solution" to any air transport and accommodation problems SD currently has.

I've never seen Tijuana as any kind of help at all. Even if someone flew in to Tijuana, they'd then have to find transportation across the border. That border crossing is extremely busy and takes forever. It would be a travel nightmare -- the last thing anyone wants to deal with after a long international flight.

San Diego would be way below my "rule of thumb" that an city needs a metro area population of at least 5 million to survive a Summer OG. There may be some wiggle room because it's in the USA, but even so, I do wonder.

Rogge's rule of thumb was 2 million. If they have the venues, infrastructure and funds, that's what matters, isn't it? Yes, the IOC has become accustomed to mega world capitals of late, but that doesn't mean a smaller city -- particularly an affluent one -- could successfully stage the Games.

San Diego won't have a chance. Even Los Angeles won't win 2024 and they are America's strongest contender seeing as though New York City and Chicago are not interested. 2024 is coming back to Europe.

I don't think any U.S. city has much of a shot at 2024 especially if South Africa or Paris throws its hat into the ring. That being said, there'd ne a lot of opportunity for a legacy in San Diego following the Olympics: a new stadium for the Chargers, a new downtown arena, and major improvements to an overtaxed and crowded airport. Trouble is though, San Diego is right next door to Los Angeles and I'm sure the IOC would much rather prefer a third Olympics in L.A. to a first time Olympics in San Diego. It would be like Japan bidding with Yokohama with Tokyo right next door.

SNA is 1hr 20m from San Diego. LAX is (traffic dependent) under 2 hours.

Many questions about a San Diego bid. But I wouldn't worry about airport

1-logo is horrible

2-won't be the us candidate

[sarcasm]Yes, of all the reasons that San Diego won't be the US candidate, the logo is an important one.[/sarcasm]

I mean really, the logo is going to be what makes or breaks the bid... said no one outside this forum in the history of Olympic bidding.

I don't know who San Diego is trying to impress here. They can submit whatever they want to the USOC. Doesn't mean the USOC is going to listen and/or care if they're not interested. The ball is in their court with this one, as well it should be. It's not on the cities to submit proposals unless the USOC has told them to. This could be a massive waste of time and money for San Diego. Kudos to them for their drive and ambition on this one, but it may be all for nothing.

I actually think San Diego has a lot of appeal. It's a beautiful place. I don't fancy their odds against Paris, but otherwise they probably aren't as weak as some here seem to think. Airport is a consideration.

I agree. San Diego is fully capable of hosting a big event like the Super Bowl (although they haven't done so in a number of years because their stadium is somewhat outdated). No question it is a beautiful city, but they're still far from a big time city capable of competing with some of the cities the rest of the world might offer.

San Diego's a big Tulsa. I like San Diego but it's not world-class enough to stage a SOG.

That's a pointless comparison. Those 2 don't belong in the same discussion. San Diego has 2 major league sports teams and has hosted major events before. Tulsa has done no such thing. San Diego may be of less than Olympic caliber, but that's hardly an insult towards the city. But to mention them in the same breath as Tulsa (I think we both owe money to the Tulsa swear jar here) does Tulsa undue credit and unfairly puts down San Diego. They are a much stronger city than Tulsa could ever hope to be.

SNA is 1hr 20m from San Diego. LAX is (traffic dependent) under 2 hours.

Many questions about a San Diego bid. But I wouldn't worry about airport

If that's your solution, I would worry about it. So if the primary airports for the world to come to San Diego are in greater Los Angeles, why aren't the Olympics in greater Los Angeles instead of San Diego? I know the question comes up here a lot of how LA could differentiate a future Olympics with their past edition, but I don't think that solution is to move them a mere 100 miles south to a smaller and less iconic city that is far less capable of hosting than its big brother to the north.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. so long as Los Angeles is interested in bidding for an Olympics, San Diego need not apply. I just can't see any scenario where they get chosen over Los Angeles.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. so long as Los Angeles is interested in bidding for an Olympics, San Diego need not apply. I just can't see any scenario where they get chosen over Los Angeles.

Scenario: San Diego puts together a managable bid. LA does not.

LA has huge potential, but they don't always come through. See NFL Team comma lack of.

How could San Diego put forward a "manageable" bid but L.A. couldn't. That doesn't even make sense. Especially when L.A. always has the drive & mostly all the venues & infrastructure already in place.

San Diego's a big Tulsa. I like San Diego but it's not world-class enough to stage a SOG.

Ever since you claimed San Dieho was a geriatric retirement community, it was clear you knew nothing about the city. In addition to being much larger than Tulsa, San Diego has charm, culture, history and beauty. It's a worthy travel destination in its own right.

Here are my concerns about SD:

Can they really get their infrastructure up to snuff?

Would the IOC consider a smaller host after the likes of Beijing, London, Rio and Tokyo?

How much will the close proximity of LA influence the bid (it's only about 2 hours away)?

Athens they will have to once all the big cities have hosted. I'm one that thinks that every so often the IOC should go to a smaller city and use it showcase how the games can make a city better.