2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The city's just been stripped of the Asian Youth Games. They can bid all they want but they ain't getting it unless Durban and Edmonton are suddenly afflicted by Biblical plagues.

Louise Martin interview on BBC radio said that the plan is to announce the 2026 & 2030 hosts at the General Assembly in October 2026 Adelaide 2030 Hamilton no other candidates expre

• 2 months later...

Wales will not bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games, Welsh ministers have said, blaming the high cost and funding uncertainty due to Brexit.

Economy Secretary Ken Skates said a bid was not feasible after a study revealed costs of between £1.3bn and £1.5bn.

The Commonwealth Games Federation [CGF] said it was "surprised" by the figures quoted, with the 2014 Glasgow Games having cost £543m.

Plaid Cymru and Tory politicians attacked the decision not to bid.

Both parties had backed the idea, with Welsh Conservative leader Andrew RT Davies calling the announcement "pathetic".

The Welsh Government had been exploring the possibility of making a bid with a number of bodies including local councils and Sport Wales.

Ministers had preferred an all-Wales plan which Mr Skates said "would have helped to ensure the benefits of the games were felt across Wales".

The feasibility study put the cost of that option at between £1.3bn and £1.5bn, but it found that Commonwealth Games Wales would not have submitted such a bid as it would not meet the requirements of the Commonwealth Games Federation.

In contrast, a bid focused in south east Wales was thought to have cost around £220m less and was said to be the most "compelling" option to secure votes from the Commonwealth Games "family".

Mr Skates said: "Given the high cost, our understanding that an all-Wales bid was less likely to be supported and the current funding uncertainty following the vote to leave the EU, we have reluctantly concluded that the bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games is not feasible."

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36895145

A shame but not surprising.  The cost does seem high but the sporting infrastructure is not there - even converting the Millennium Stadium or Cardiff City Stadium to host the Athletics wouldn't have come cheap and wouldn't have necessarily got the go ahead from the owners of the stadia, especially based on how long Hampden Park was out of action for.

To NZ...that's $1.5 billion in our money. 

CWGs should cost only half that. Glasgow proved it...even inflation adjusted...which is almost 0.

This is a premature decision for so many wrong reasons. Not many takers left.

At least London stands a better chance for the centennial games in '30.

Very encouraging news from a city that has seen a lot of regeneration in recent years. One of the big issues will be around the main stadium, which I guess has to be a stepping stone towards a new home for Everton considering the history of stadia built here for big events like this. But without a Welsh bid, which I'm very disappointed there won't be, I don't see many British rivals.

5 hours ago, arwebb said:

Very encouraging news from a city that has seen a lot of regeneration in recent years. One of the big issues will be around the main stadium, which I guess has to be a stepping stone towards a new home for Everton considering the history of stadia built here for big events like this. But without a Welsh bid, which I'm very disappointed there won't be, I don't see many British rivals.

Looks like they will be unopposed for 2026 as well, leaving the centenary to Canada.

11 hours ago, arwebb said:

Very encouraging news from a city that has seen a lot of regeneration in recent years. One of the big issues will be around the main stadium, which I guess has to be a stepping stone towards a new home for Everton considering the history of stadia built here for big events like this.

Reading around, it seems the Mayor would like Everton's involvement, but reading their forum, the stadium itk on there is adamant the club will not involve themselves in this project or at the very least won't compromise their stadium plans to accommodate athletics.

Who knows what will happen?

Some think this is pure electioneering by Joe Anderson. But assuming it's not they've really got to try to get Everton on board. Everton's new owners are wealthy but not in the same league as the likes of Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour. They will deliver a new stadium for the club, but will not be funding a stadium from their own pockets. So - a bit like Tottenham with the NFL - a bit of outside involvement or funding might be welcome.

Furthermore, they really want a stadium on the waterfront - not out of town - and the Mayor could be in a position to help them secure that land by helping to negotiate with the current landowners. Joe Anderson might be looking for a bit of mutual backscratching here.

The other big question mark is timing. Everton would ideally like a new stadium open early next decade, not have to wait for a CWG then convert ready for 2027!

Still lots and lots of question marks as far as I can see.

Edited by Rob.
11 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Has there been some  statement of intent (or non-intent) by Canada?

None, I don't expect a bid to get support as it appears Canada is going full speed for the WC and with Calgary announcing a WOG bid, its unlikely Edmonton would also get support for a 2026 CWG bid.

Not sure "bid" is the right term for the Commonwealth Games anymore.  Last one standing is usually more apt.

A shame Cardiff backed out but understandable, and I'd rather not see it back to England quite yet, although Liverpool is probably as close as it could get to me - although the all-Wales CG bid had the athletics just 10 miles from me, but that would never have been the final outcome.

I take it there is little interest from Singapore in hosting, or it returning to Kuala Lumper.  Canada seem to have backed out too.   Would be good to see the games return to New Zealand though, but again is 2026 too soon after Australia in 2018?

I really wanted a welsh CWG, but it seems that's not going to happen thanks to dumb decisions (both the Brexit and being worrywarts when Glasgow managed to stop the opulence which was invading the games for some years). 

If no other serious city bids from now on I guess its safe to say Liverpool will host the 2026 games. I would like an asian CWG too but they might play it safe since Africa is hosting for the first time four years before it. 

16 hours ago, Brekkie Boy said:

...I take it there is little interest from Singapore in hosting, or it returning to Kuala Lumper.  Canada seem to have backed out too.   Would be good to see the games return to New Zealand though, but again is 2026 too soon after Australia in 2018?

Singapore? Haven't announced anything yet...Remember this is still very early for intentions. Probably next year is when that city state will move.

New Zealand? Well expect some rumbling if the next two weeks are successful. But that always happens in the post golden glow. Then it dies down and reality checks in. The answer is no.

As I mentioned above...A Glasgow type of event will still cost $1.5 billion. The only city that could host , Auckland, is going through a massive Infrastructure build program and distracted by an enormous housing shortage...Nothing can be built fast enough. Also Auckland is hated by the rest if the country as it sucks the nations resources dry.

The other city, Christchurch, also a previous host, and considered the most popular CWGs, is a rebuilding ruin...Probably a classic case to encourage an acceptable bid and round out the rebuild as the iconic QEII Park Stadium is now just an empty field of asbestos contaminated soil...A new covered downtown stadium is planned...although Aon Insurance won't pay out on Lancaster Park as they insist it is fully repairable.

Finally having the CWGs south of the equator three in a row probably won't ride well with members.

It may not be all Liverpool's to claim. Birmingham apparently is still a possibility:

Birmingham's Commonwealth Games bid backed by neighbour Coventry

Coventry is backing Birmingham’s prospective bid to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games and will offer sporting venues like the Ricoh Arena for events it has been revealed.

Tentative conversations have already taken place between council bosses over the possibility as part of wider talks over more joint working between the cities. 

The cities’ chief executives Mark Rogers and Martin Reeves are believed to be keen on establishing a closer relationship after the formation of the West Midlands Combined Authority - and they believe this would be a good opportunity to show how the whole region can benefit from the revamped local government model.

Birmingham boasts the Alexander Stadium, Villa Park, the new University of Birmingham swimming pool and the NEC’s Barclaycard and Genting arenas all capable of hosting top level sport.

While Coventry’s Ricoh Arena could be lined up for for rugby sevens. Rugby could be hosted at one of Birmingham’s football stadiums but, with no Premiership rugby club in the city, the ease of utilising the home of Wasps and their facilities is likely to be much more appealing and less costly.

Birmingham is also be keen to secure the support of Coventry and surrounding towns and cities for its bid, something which would be easier if surrounding areas were seen to be directly benefiting.

It is also understood that Birmingham could be set to offer its formal backing to Coventry’s bid to become UK City of Culture in 2021 as part of the mutual back-scratching arrangement.

Birmingham has not yet confirmed it will bid for the games, but has come under increasing pressure to do so with the likes of sporting stars Mark Lewis-Francis and Katherine Merry, along with a clutch of MPs and the former Prime Minister David Cameron , calling on the city to be ambitious and put in a bid for the 2026 Games.

In June the city council’s deputy leader Ian Ward gave the strongest indication yet that they are seriously considering the Games bid as long as they can cover the substantial cost without hitting council’s under pressure finances. 

He said: “Seventeen sports across 11 days in Birmingham, it would be fantastic. What’s not to like? But it cost Glasgow £500 million and, in the current environment the city council does not have that kind of money to invest.”

The Glasgow Games were partly covered by the Scottish Parliament and in a similar way organisations like the fledgling West Midlands Combined Authority and Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership, as well as private sponsors, are being sounded out.

Birmingham Mail

I really don't think any of these English bids are certain - not even Liverpool which has had a soft-launch already. People on the outside looking in, seeing English cities lining up against each other might get the impression we're really gunning for 2026, but that's not the feeling I get yet. I hope other nations are looking at 2026 as well and the CGF isn't necessarily relying one one of the English bids coming good.

Fair enough. I think we're a bit used to that with the Commies anyway - nothing's certain, even when bids become "official".

What say then, if, say, both Liverpool and Birmingham go on seriously, who makes the decision between the two at the end? The British Commonwealth Games Associationm choosing who to put to the CGF, or could both bid, with the CGF deciding between them for host (on the assumption the Govt would offer the expected guarantees to which ever won)?

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't it be the English federation? I presume they would have decided between Manchester and Sheffield for 2002.

Rob's quite right to say none of these English bids can be considered as fully committed yet. But it seems pretty clear to me that Birmingham has a big head start in terms of venues. Probably the main stumbling blocks are a velodrome, an aquatics centre and a facelift for Alexander Stadium

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow wanted to be the official bid for the 2014 games, with the Commonwealth Games federation of Scotland choosing Glasgow in the end, I would presume the same would happen in the event of dual interest from any English cities.

I would expect tht interest would be at its highest over the next few months with the success of team GB in Rio.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Scotguy said:

...I would expect tht interest would be at its highest over the next few months with the success of team GB in Rio.

Always is the case after a successful Olympic Games. And why not?... Not many takers. 

At the moment thanks to a cycle, UK or Canada would be due to host?...and can afford to?

I honestly don't know if we should be writing off Edmonton yet. They said they'd "postponed" their bid for 2022, not dropped it. And they've been very protective of their IP from that since. I guess we'll see when we see.

17 hours ago, arwebb said:

Rob's quite right to say none of these English bids can be considered as fully committed yet. But it seems pretty clear to me that Birmingham has a big head start in terms of venues. Probably the main stumbling blocks are a velodrome, an aquatics centre and a facelift for Alexander Stadium

Technically, track cycling isn't a core sport so if Birmingham doesn't want to construct a velodrome they could just decide not to have that sport in 2026. Durban has dropped it for 2022. In reality of course, a British Games dropping track cycling would rightly cause a huge stink.

But these days even cities like Derby are building velodromes. Surely Birmingham can support one! And maybe theirs won't look like a sad face.

velodrome-derby-2152.jpg

Derby Velodrome, why you so sad??