2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

Think Cardiff will go for it and have a very strong chance.

I see a lot of people mentioning Belfast, they would want it desperately, being going after big events. This would be on a whole other scale

Sadly, right now just don't have any facilities. The National stadium was shelved and instead major work was put into renovating the 3 stadiums in the city.. Although Casement is currently in limbo.

Having lived in Belfast it is good to see the city finally being ambitious in thought. The problem, as is always the case, they never put anything into action. They had many opportunities over the years to seize on better stadia facilities and failed at every hurdle. The Commonwealth Games are well beyond what they can handle

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The city's just been stripped of the Asian Youth Games. They can bid all they want but they ain't getting it unless Durban and Edmonton are suddenly afflicted by Biblical plagues.

Louise Martin interview on BBC radio said that the plan is to announce the 2026 & 2030 hosts at the General Assembly in October 2026 Adelaide 2030 Hamilton no other candidates expre

I really do hope PNG stop this poppy-cock about wanting to bid for a Commonwealth Games. Yup , go for a youth games, but there is no way they could cope with the full CWG.

Not to mention the fact that they sold tickets to the closing ceremony which weren't even available in the stadium layout, leaving hundreds of people who had purchased tickets unable to get into the stadium.

How on earth can that happen?

NZ went through the same sudden burst of enthusisim after the 2011 RWC. "What Next?" Probably carried on by a great London result but by the CWGs last year, any big plans for the future had died down. And now with the Dairy boom over, suddenly it's back to a wait and see approach. There is a low level study for 2026 Auckland/Waikato/BOP but not alot more.

Let PNG dream the impossible as it will only encourage them to improve facilities and infrastructure needed in the distant future. The Pacific Games are a great start...(of course out of all this, China has a habit of "helping out" nations in this region, who knows? Suddenly the money appears.)

Currently in Hong Kong.. Such a shame they left the commonwealth games. Would have been just want the event needed .

They were offered 1994 as UK knew the Colony was going back to China after the six year extension...Bummer they didn't take it.

• 1 month later...

Former Olympic Minister confirms she's running for Mayor....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30159049

Quick update: As I've been saying, London's best chance of going for 2026 might've been if the former Olympics minister became London mayor.

Well, she failed to get the nomination....

Sadiq Khan has been chosen as Labour's candidate for the 2016 London mayoral contest.

The Tooting MP said he was "overwhelmed" and "deeply honoured" after the results were announced.

Mr Khan won 48,152 votes, a 58.9% share, in the fifth round of voting after four other candidates had been eliminated.

Ex-minister Tessa Jowell, regarded as the frontrunner going into the contest, came second with 41.1% of the vote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34218390

Edited by USA Rugby Guy

Where will CWG 2042 be held?????

:wacko: Pfffp!...Will there still be a Commonwealth by then?

This is the reason why it's getting difficult to find hosts and encourage competitive teams to attend. (Track cycling being dumped from 2022 wipes out half of NZ's medal take. And the longer NZ leaves it, the less enthusisium there is to bid for them.)

Not worth the near $1billion cost.

(Rather host the Rugby WC again which is kind of around the time we are due to host it.)

• 3 weeks later...

:wacko: Pfffp!...Will there still be a Commonwealth by then?

This is the reason why it's getting difficult to find hosts and encourage competitive teams to attend. (Track cycling being dumped from 2022 wipes out half of NZ's medal take. And the longer NZ leaves it, the less enthusisium there is to bid for them.)

Not worth the near $1billion cost.

(Rather host the Rugby WC again which is kind of around the time we are due to host it.)

Yes true - I'm not sure Australia will host the CWG's after 2018 - maybe by 2038?

As for the Rugby World Cup - Ireland/South Africa/France/Australia/Wales/Argentina - all countries who should host it before NZ - so I wouldn't expect NZ to host it until 2051.

Doesn't Wales always seem to manage to host the World Cup every time it gets within spitting range of the home unions? They always seem to cozy up next to the host union and host matches.

No idea how that works.

Doesn't Wales always seem to manage to host the World Cup every time it gets within spitting range of the home unions? They always seem to cozy up next to the host union and host matches.

No idea how that works.

Suppose it has to do with THAT stadium...and the revenue it generates. There are some agreements with the major codes that helps pay for the upkeep of Millennium Stadium that is considered a UK national stadium. Paid in part with lotto funding.

As I've ranted in the RWC thread...I was so against Wales picking up matches and the organizers have done their best to keep Wales from playing there. France 2007 using Cardiff and Twickers was clever money gathering.

Would be the central focus of a Cardiff CWGs when the UK hosts the games for a seventh time.

• 6 months later...
Liverpool mayor reveals plans for 2026 Commonwealth Games bid

Liverpool could bid to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games after mayor Joe Anderson announced he plans to explore the possibility should he win re-election next month.

In a letter written to Culture Secretary John Whittingdale, Anderson revealed he wanted the Merseyside city to follow recent British hosts Manchester and Glasgow in staging the event in 10 years' time.

The Games were held in Glasgow two years ago and will take place in Gold Coast in Australia in 2018 and in Durban in 2022, and mayor Anderson has made it one of his election ambitions to look into the possibility of Liverpool as a host city.

In his letter to Mr Whittingdale, he said: "Given our highly-successful year as European Capital of Culture in 2008, the city has an acute sense of how culture and sport can be catalysed for their regenerative potential, as well as a track record in rising to the occasion in delivering a high-profile, large scale programme of events.

"With that in mind, it is my strong conviction that Liverpool, as a multi-ethnic city with strong connections to so many Commonwealth nations, is a fitting host for the Games. Also, as a cornerstone of the 'Northern Powerhouse' initiative, the potential benefits of hosting the Games would disperse widely around the Liverpool City-Region as well as the wider North West of England."

Mayor Anderson is seeking a second term in office next month and stressed that, should he keep his post, he will begin assessing the cost around staging the 2026 Games in Liverpool.

espn

I mean, it could work. Liverpool has a fair few facilities & Everton need a new ground. But we've just (relatively) had a North West England games, the next English ones should be somewhere else. I'd have Birmingham as next in line - it's got the NEC for a start & it is the actual second city after all.

Liverpool mayor reveals plans for 2026 Commonwealth Games bid

Liverpool could bid to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games after mayor Joe Anderson announced he plans to explore the possibility should he win re-election next month.

In a letter written to Culture Secretary John Whittingdale, Anderson revealed he wanted the Merseyside city to follow recent British hosts Manchester and Glasgow in staging the event in 10 years' time.

The Games were held in Glasgow two years ago and will take place in Gold Coast in Australia in 2018 and in Durban in 2022, and mayor Anderson has made it one of his election ambitions to look into the possibility of Liverpool as a host city.

In his letter to Mr Whittingdale, he said: "Given our highly-successful year as European Capital of Culture in 2008, the city has an acute sense of how culture and sport can be catalysed for their regenerative potential, as well as a track record in rising to the occasion in delivering a high-profile, large scale programme of events.

"With that in mind, it is my strong conviction that Liverpool, as a multi-ethnic city with strong connections to so many Commonwealth nations, is a fitting host for the Games. Also, as a cornerstone of the 'Northern Powerhouse' initiative, the potential benefits of hosting the Games would disperse widely around the Liverpool City-Region as well as the wider North West of England."

Mayor Anderson is seeking a second term in office next month and stressed that, should he keep his post, he will begin assessing the cost around staging the 2026 Games in Liverpool.

espn

Liverpool? Seriously? It was part of Manchester's 1996 Olympic bid! Offering some venues, as well as its international airport.

I suppose it would want to use the venues Manchester built for its Commonwealth Games (like the velodrome) to save on some venues.

What the Commonwealth Games needs is a definitive list of sports, adding some which are actually popular in the Commonwealth (like football and cricket (again)), as well as lowering the capacity of the main stadium to 25,000.

Edited by Lord David

Liverpool? Seriously? It was part of Manchester's 1996 Olympic bid! Offering some venues, as well as its international airport.

I suppose it would want to use the venues Manchester built for its Commonwealth Games (like the velodrome) to save on some venues.

What the Commonwealth Games needs is a definitive list of sports, adding some which are actually popular in the Commonwealth (like football and cricket (again)), as well as lowering the capacity of the main stadium to 25,000.

There is a definite list of 16 sports.

I mean, it could work. Liverpool has a fair few facilities & Everton need a new ground. But we've just (relatively) had a North West England games, the next English ones should be somewhere else. I'd have Birmingham as next in line - it's got the NEC for a start & it is the actual second city after all.

There you go.....

Calls for Birmingham to bid for Commonwealth Games in 2026

Sports stars and community leaders are calling for Birmingham to follow in the footsteps of over UK cities and bid for the Commonwealth Games.

Olympic gold medal winner Mark Lewis-Francis have joined city MPs in calling for a bid to host the 2026 Games.

The cuts-ravaged city council has previously said it would not consider the Games but after the Mayor of Liverpool – which has undergone similar levels of austerity – outlined ambitions to bid, it has been urged to reconsider.

The 2026 Games would coincide with the opening of Birmingham’s HS2 station and giant Curzon and Smithfield regeneration schemes – and city leaders say it would offer an international showcase.

And, with the new 50-metre pool at the University of Birmingham, along with the Alexander Stadium and Barclaycard Arena, they believe the city boasts infrastructure no other outside London could match.

Brummie athlete Mark Lewis-Francis, who won gold medals at both the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, said securing the event would help encourage a new generation in the city.

Speaking to the Mail from the Alexander Stadium, he said: “The facilities that we have got in this area are better than almost any other facilities I have been to in the world – it is a shame they are so under-utilised.

“I am a Brummie and proud. We should be getting behind things like the Commonwealth Games to inspire the next generation – that is what I am all about. We should go for it.”

The bidding deadline for the 2026 Commonwealth Games is 2018 but in 2013, Birmingham City Council deputy leader Ian Ward said it was not on the agenda.

Birmingham has been hit hard by hundreds of millions of pounds of government cuts and has been forced into an efficiency drive.

However, city MP Khalid Mahmood said, with the council now under new leadership after John Clancy took over, and plans to boost the economy by 2026, it should think again.

He said: “I think we should have the ambition to do this. It would help bring pride to the city as well as generating an economic contribution.

“I would hope the leadership would take a close look at this. The decision in 2013 should be looked at by the council and they should get behind a bit and show people internationally what Birmingham can do.”

However, Coun Clancy said: "Our immediate priorities for this city are children's safeguarding, housing, jobs and skills and investing in economic growth.

"I'm open to persuasion but I think the Commonwealth Games bid would detract from our immediate priorities. We wish to invest more immediately in economic growth opportunities. Good luck to Liverpool, though."

Council bosses in Liverpool, which has been equally ravaged by cuts, said last year they had decided against a Commonwealth Games bid for financial reasons.

However, it has now emerged Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson has written to Culture Secretary John Whittingdale, saying he intended to bid.

The Commonwealth Games will be held in Queensland, Australia, in 2018 and Durban, South Africa, in 2022.

It was last in Britain in 2014, when the Glasgow Games cost £575 million - of which more than £100 million was paid for by Glasgow City Council.

West Midlands MEP Sion Simon, who is standing to be the first West Midlands Mayor, said he felt that level of investment could be better spent.

He said: “There will be a bigger legacy for people who live in the West Midlands if we focus on grassroots sport rather than grand projects like the Commonwealth Games.

“Projects like this come with a great deal of local taxpayer risk, just from bidding. I’d rather see resources put into grassroots sport which has a proven impact, rather than risking it all on something that may come to nothing.

“There should be no limit on our ambition for the region – but we have to be canny too.”

His views were echoed by former Birmingham-based athlete Daniel Caines, who is now a businessman in the city, who believes the costs would be too prohibitive.

He said: “There are probably things that require public money where it would be better spent.

“People don’t have access to things like The Drum, which has been used by Afro-Caribbean people for 30 years. It would be nice to see that looked at.”

However, with the Alexander Stadium and Barclaycard Arena supplemented by university facilities and three football stadiums, City MP Liam Byrne (Lab Hodge Hill) said Birmingham had strong infrastructure already.

He said: “We have a strong track record of hosting international sports events and we have a lot of infrastructure and the visitor economy already in place.”

Birmingham Mail

So between Wales, Liverpool and Birmingham (where;s Leeds? They usually express some interest), there seems to be a bit of UK interest for 2026. Let's hope at least one lasts the distance.

I think Cardiff will last the distance, they seem very serious (wouldn't even be surprised if logos start floating about soon). I don't think Liverpool could or should beat Cardiff but Birmingham could. If Belfast has reached the stage where they feel the can host a Commies with nobody getting blown up then they'd be very compelling too. What would Westminster do in a UK three-way?

• 2 weeks later...

Three UK cities going for it? Will have to be...There are no other takers.

No word from Singapore and they sort of need to go north of the equator as a cycle. (And yes, NZ doesn't want to know).

Just wondering what the dynamics of life would be like if the BRexit goes through...

Singapore is North of the equator- 1 degree!

I know that...

Hence why l said they need to go north. '18 and '22 will be hosted by the south...Singapore has made no actual firm commitments to host, its the only other northern hemisphere city outside the UK that would be able to host. You can pretty much count Canada out for now.

Actually, when Edmonton dropped out of 2022, it said it would probably be in it for 2026. And Commonwealth Games Canada said they had offered Edmonton first right of acceptance for a 2026 bid. That, plus the fact the Edmonton team blacked out large sections of their draft 2022 bid book, saying they wanted to protect their competitive advantages for 2026, indicates the Canucks may well be ready to join the party again.

Actually, when Edmonton dropped out of 2022, it said it would probably be in it for 2026. And Commonwealth Games Canada said they had offered Edmonton first right of acceptance for a 2026 bid. That, plus the fact the Edmonton team blacked out large sections of their draft 2022 bid book, saying they wanted to protect their competitive advantages for 2026, indicates the Canucks may well be ready to join the party again.

Will be a fun time as a Canadian bid fan. A possible WOG bid, Commonwealth Games bid and a World Cup bid!

Will be a fun time as a Canadian bid fan. A possible WOG bid, Commonwealth Games bid and a World Cup bid!

The Commies and the WOGs would be achievable (if fact, I'd see them as frontrunners in either of those races). The WC? Fuggedaboudit!