2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

10 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Victorian taxpayers money going into the pockets of the corrupt Malaysian government

All good, nothing to see here

https://x.com/duncan_itg/status/1767150959916896684?s=20

If this means the Commonwealth Games are saved then I don't care - VERY POSITIVE news for the Commonwealth Games movement and quite fitting that this is announced on Commonwealth Day.

Well it's a shame Malaysia took this long to discover their desire to host the Games again, but they have everything in place from 1998 plus however many South East Asian Games they've had since then. Also breaks the duopoly, not a completely new host but we can't choose at this point. But as long as it goes through, the Games are saved for now, that's what matters. 2030 becomes the problem then. 

I don't get into the CWG's, but considering some of the chatter that's been going on after the 2026 chaos, I decided to take a quick gander, & I was about to say, that London has only hosted it once, & that was way back in 1934. Strange that they haven't hosted it since then, although I know Birmingham hosted it in 2022. London can reuse many of the facilities from the 2012 Olympics, so they probably can do CWG's 2026 with much ease (if not KL).

Another locale that would seem to be ripe for this is Toronto, especially for the centennial for the event in 2030. Toronto has never hosted, although nearby Hamilton hosted the inaugural 1930 CWG's games. They can reuse many of the facilities from the 2015 Pan Am's. So they seem to be the most logical choice for 2030. CWG's officials should really get on the horn with them for that one. 

Yep they better get on to a 2030 host soon. Accept a smaller games, a smaller host. Anyway that's for another forum.

I guess Malaysia (probably Kuala Lumpur, otherwise JB has new facilities incl stadium) is the last hope for 2026. Fingers crossed they make a success of it.

Kuala Lumper should be an ideal host - the venues from the 2017 SEA Games should largely still be around, and if they're hosting those in 2027 the Commonwealth Games is a perfect test event.  The games of 1998 are quite fondly remembered (well, by me at least!), especially in comparison to the only other games outside the UK/Australia since then in India in 2030.

Not really a fan of London entering the equation for 2026 as that just feels like kicking the problem down the road really.   I think regardless of whether 2026 goes ahead assuming Hamilton don't want it London is the obvious choice for the centenial games in 2030, and that feels like it would put them on a good footing to then enter into discussions with the IOC to look at hosting the Olympics again at some point in the 2040s.

10 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Scaled-down 2026 Commonwealth Games?

While it’s in ITG’s new confusing style, a couple of interesting points in there. It seems Malaysia’s plan is still facing some opposition internally in the country, and there is some talk of co-hosting with Singapore.

Marathon around Marina Bay could be quite stunning from a TV viewer's perspective. I just think though that splitting across cities is no different to what Victoria was doing.

Keep it in the one spot, use what you've got, minimal sports and make it suit your city (e.g. athletics, swimming, anything outdoor like marathon and road bike, plus add badminton for Malaysia). Done.

A new city would be a nice, but I think the CGF should take what they can get for 2026, possibly 2030 as well.

Where?

Not Malaysia!

KUALA LUMPUR: The Ministry of Youth and Sports today announced the government's decision not to accept the Commonwealth Sports Federation's (CGF) offer to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

They cited the cost as the reason why, & they already have quite a few of the things necessary to stage the event. Can't imagine hosting the CWG's being anywhere near the cost of hosting the Olympics, so that's quite interesting that they still refused. The CGF must be getting very desperate by now.

He reminds me of Bach, what he would say when cities were dropping like flies back in the bidding cycle days - "there is no urgency. We still have 6,5,4,3,2 other cities to choose from." lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Very disappointing news out of Malaysia - at least according to Craig Phillips there is still three more cities in four continents in discussions with the CGF

You are looking like a character in "Waiting for Godot". 

Time to face reality. The 2026 CWG may no be done. 

3 hours ago, FYI said:

They cited the cost as the reason why

More so the fact that Malaysia is changing internally and becoming a more nationalistic intolerant society who view the Comm Games as "British imperialist colonizers"

They even offered money to them and they still refused because it was still too steep to be worth the trouble.

I know, it wouldn't be free anyway but howdy, howdy, when they even refuse an offer that you pay them to do, either the employer is a notorious fool to say the least or the job offer is absolutely terrible.

I guess the CGF may have to do some soul searching to see if they aren't both at the same time.

• Like 1