Jump to content

2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?


Alexjc
 Share

Recommended Posts

How likely is it, though, that no agreement can be reached with Victorian authorities? They are the saviour on the horizon. The CGF will have no other choice but to accept whatever Melbourne is willing and able to offer (or not). As things stand, they basically have a blank check.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, munichfan said:

How likely is it, though, that no agreement can be reached with Victorian authorities? They are the saviour on the horizon. The CGF will have no other choice but to accept whatever Melbourne is willing and able to offer (or not). As things stand, they basically have a blank check.

Yeah maybe it is speculation since we are late in the week and no announcement has been made? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m just not really on-board with the new watered-down games concept, only having athletics and swimming as core sports. I just think “why bother?” then. It just smacks of desperation to find potential hosts at the cost of giving the commies a real purpose.

At least with keeping some Commonwealth sports - lawn bowls, netball, rugby… and cricket should always have been there as well - they gave the games a real identity and distinctiveness and were de-facto world championships for those sports. Remove them and all you’re left with is what CWG critics always claimed they were - a B-grade games of questionable or outdated relevance.  

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

I agree, but pretty sure a Victorian/Melbourne Games will retain all the Commonwealth sports....its 2030 when things may take a dramatic turn.

I would hope so. But as you say, then what? 

I don’t think anyone doubts Victoria would stage a good event (though I also think such a decentralised vision also risks dilution of their impact and appeal). But I don’t know if they could “save” the games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

It won't be. Melbourne will host 2026 with Hamilton hosting 2030

Hopefully.

But neither is a done deal. ScoMo’s said he’s not going to fund 2026, so unless Andrews is gonna have the State foot the full bill alone, it may not get up. And if it doesn’t, and 2026 doesn’t find a home, soon, continuing past this year may be a pipe dream

it’d be sad to see the Commies end, but their future is anything but assured.

Edited by Sir Rols
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sir Rols said:

Hopefully.

But neither is a done deal. ScoMo’s said he’s not going to fund 2026, so unless Andrews is gonna have the State foot the full bill alone, it may not get up. And if it doesn’t, and 2026 doesn’t find a home, soon, continuing past this year may be a pipe dream

it’d be sad to see the Commies end, but their future is anything assured.

It has been reported that the Melbourne 2026 commonwealth games is basically a done deal though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

It has been reported that the Melbourne 2026 commonwealth games is basically a done deal though

It’s been reported the CGF have approached the Vic govt

It’s been reported the Vic government are considering it.

it sounds promising, even likely, and I’m sure the CGF would rush to lock it in.

But until Andrews comes out and announces anything formally, we have to assume the bean counters in Treasury and the Premier’s Department strategists are still weighing up whether to hit go or not. ScoMo saying no go won’t have helped though.

Edited by Sir Rols
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

It’s been reported the CGF have approached the Vic govt

It’s been reported the Vic government are considering it.

it sounds promising, even likely, and I’m sure the CGF would rush to lock it in.

But until Andrews comes out and announces anything formally, we have to assume the bean counters in Treasury and the Premier’s Department strategists are still weighing up whether to hit go or not. ScoMo saying no go won’t have helped though.

Victoria simply has to host though. If they don’t, 92 years of history is at danger of going down the drain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there even a spirit of togetherness and feeling connected within the Commonwealth left at all? For me, a former imperial power trying to maintain as close as possible with its used-to-be colonies just sounds like an odd and outdated idea to begin with - at least, when it gets beyond the former dominions that actually do share close cultural bounds to London.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, munichfan said:

Is there even a spirit of togetherness and feeling connected within the Commonwealth left at all? For me, a former imperial power trying to maintain as close as possible with its used-to-be colonies just sounds like an odd and outdated idea to begin with - at least, when it gets beyond the former dominions that actually do share close cultural bounds to London.

That’s a really good question. I can only speak to my feelings as an Australian, and perhaps my generation. I think there’s still some, intangible feeling of link to the UK, but nowhere near as much as when I was young, and it’s also tempered now with a lot more questioning about our colonial past, and especially how it relates to our indigenous population. And, of course, we’re much more multicultural in our population make up these days.

For example, when I was young, we still sang “God Save The Queen” at school and had a portrait of the Queen in every classroom. Our curriculum in geography and history was still pretty English-skewed. The only place you see the Queen now is on our coins (or gossip magazines). I remember in 1970, the bicentennial of Captain Cook’s “discovery” of eastern Australia was a HUGE patriotic celebration and event. In 2020, the 250th anniversary, was - if noted at all - a soul searching of how it was a disaster for indigenous Australians. Nowadays statues of Cook need a police guard come sensitive days like Australia Day (or Invasion Day, as the aboriginals would term it).  Then there’s the politics - Republicanism is still a strong movement in Australia, and I can only see it getting stronger as older generations pass on.

Then again, sport does seem to fuel our major links to the commonwealth. Our major passions - cricket and rugby (union and league) and, yes but to a lesser degree, the Commonwealth Games - pit us mostly against other commonwealth nations and fuels our major sporting rivalries (especially with England).

Again, that’s just one former dominion and younger Aussies may feel differently. And I have no idea how former colonies in Africa or Asia view it. It’s likely a very complicated relationship for them too.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

It’s been reported the CGF have approached the Vic govt

It’s been reported the Vic government are considering it.

it sounds promising, even likely, and I’m sure the CGF would rush to lock it in.

But until Andrews comes out and announces anything formally, we have to assume the bean counters in Treasury and the Premier’s Department strategists are still weighing up whether to hit go or not. ScoMo saying no go won’t have helped though.

Apparently Andrews and other members of cabinet are VERY lukewarm on the idea and are waiting for the feasibility study. If there isn't a clear ECONOMIC benefit to the state it will not be pursued further. The state is focused on post-COVID economic recovery and saving the Commonwealth Games probably wasn't on the Government's radar.

And lets be honest - its the CGF that will gain the most, not Melbourne. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

That’s a really good question. I can only speak to my feelings as an Australian, and perhaps my generation. I think there’s still some, intangible feeling of link to the UK, but nowhere near as much as when I was young, and it’s also tempered now with a lot more questioning about our colonial past, and especially how it relates to our indigenous population. And, of course, we’re much more multicultural in our population make up these days.

For example, when I was young, we still sang “God Save The Queen” at school and had a portrait of the Queen in every classroom. Our curriculum in geography and history was still pretty English-skewed. The only place you see the Queen now is on our coins (or gossip magazines). I remember in 1970, the bicentennial of Captain Cook’s “discovery” of eastern Australia was a HUGE patriotic celebration and event. In 2020, the 250th anniversary, was - if noted at all - a soul searching of how it was a disaster for indigenous Australians. Nowadays statues of Cook need a police guard come sensitive days like Australia Day (or Invasion Day, as the aboriginals would term it).  Then there’s the politics - Republicanism is still a strong movement in Australia, and I can only see it getting stronger as older generations pass on.

Then again, sport does seem to fuel our major links to the commonwealth. Our major passions - cricket and rugby (union and league) and, yes but to a lesser degree, the Commonwealth Games - pit us mostly against other commonwealth nations and fuels our major sporting rivalries (especially with England).

Again, that’s just one former dominion and younger Aussies may feel differently. And I have no idea how former colonies in Africa or Asia view it. It’s likely a very complicated relationship for them too.

I still have a portrait of the queen in my living room and dining room. I sing god save the queen to myself every morning in the shower. I respect the monarch and our commonwealth 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, munichfan said:

Is there even a spirit of togetherness and feeling connected within the Commonwealth left at all? For me, a former imperial power trying to maintain as close as possible with its used-to-be colonies just sounds like an odd and outdated idea to begin with - at least, when it gets beyond the former dominions that actually do share close cultural bounds to London.

I look at the commies as the friendship games and more so not as much about the result but everyone coming together and participating. It’s not about power at all and colonialism it’s just a group of countries that share something together and engage in friendly competition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I look at the commies as the friendship games and more so not as much about the result but everyone coming together and participating. It’s not about power at all and colonialism it’s just a group of countries that share something together and engage in friendly competition.

The more I muse open it, the more I think it’s sport that’s the glue that still holds the Commonwealth together. 

Politically I think it’s lost a lot of its prestige and purpose. It’s finest moment was standing against apartheid (despite Thatcher - then again, Thatcher never had much regard for the Commonwealth). And even in the apartheid fight, sport was at the forefront of the Commonwealth response. But since then, and in the twilight years of Elizabeth’s reign, it seems to have faded significantly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glasgow showed that you can host a games successfully with existing venues and new venues built that will and have been used for many years to come.

The CGF should be using this model to entice potential bidders

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

Glasgow showed that you can host a games successfully with existing venues and new venues built that will and have been used for many years to come.

The CGF should be using this model to entice potential bidders

But it hasn't - and Glasgow was one of the more recent hosts. 

The more I think about it the more I'm kind of against Melbourne stepping in for 2026. We have other priorities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

Glasgow showed that you can host a games successfully with existing venues and new venues built that will and have been used for many years to come.

The CGF should be using this model to entice potential bidders

Indeed.

Perhaps the "model" isn't the problem at this point. After 2006 and 2010 you could argue it was, but how far do you shrink the event before it becomes a shadow of what it was? Glasgow felt like the right size, ditto Gold Coast and Birmingham seems - if anything - even smaller. But they're still struggling for bids despite the last big Commonwealth Games being over a decade ago now.

Edited by Rob.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...