2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

Alexjc

23 minutes ago, ulu said:

I think most Aussies would be happy for them to give it a miss.

We can't have it both ways though - its the Commonwealth Games. They are at the centre of the event (even if ceremonially). 

The Olympics is different where I strongly believe it should only be the role of the Governor General to open an Australian Olympics.

Swimming, Diving, Squash, Table Tennis: MSAC

Athletics: MCG

Archery: Punt Road Oval

Badminton, Boxing, Weightlifting, Judo, Powerlifting: Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre

Basketball 3x3: Kia Arena or Federation Square

Cricket: Junction Oval, Marvel Stadium

Cycling: John Cain Arena

Gymnastics: Rod Laver Arena

Hockey: State Netball Hockey Centre

Netball: State Netball Hockey Centre, Margaret Court Arena

Lawn Bowls: Darebin State Lawn Bowls Centre

Rugby Sevens: AAMI Park

Shooting: Melbourne Gun Club

Triathlon: St Kilda

Beach Volleyball: Kia Arena, National Tennis Centre?, St Kilda Beach

Regional venues:

BALLARAT

Mars Stadium

Ballarat Minordome

Ballarat Sports and Events Centre

Eastern Oval

BENDIGO

Bendigo Stadium

Queen Elizabeth Oval

GEELONG

GMHBA Stadium

Geelong Arena

MOE

Ted Summerton Reserve

MORWELL

Latrobe City Stadium

SHEPPARTON

Deakin Reserve

Shepparton Sports City

TRARALGON

Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium

Do we think aspects of the MCG redevelopment could be worked on and completed before a 2026 games? I doubt there is enough time of the GSS redevelopment however the decking of the rail yards could for sure be done. It would like the MCG to Melbourne Park which would most likely host some other events at the games (AAMI Park, RLA, JCA, MCA, Kia Arena etc plus a potential media centre at the Australian Open media centre. They could name the deck/square Commonwealth Square?

866da80987bc788a5f5267370771067dcbc9c9af

1ccf535dcbc24002b5f72d048c56ad6a8bb8e058

a9c3945086e23f2eaf6d6daa84885ba405500957

4634fe266b2cd3d936eeb04868297045

Melbourne Park Media Centre- Centrepiece

https://www.melbournecb.com.au/blog/post/centrepiece-at-melbourne-park-revealed-as-name-of-mops-new-function-media-centre/

The new Marvel Stadium redevelopment is due to be completed in late 2023

f5d9a5c67a0a5c0ca705e4d9453bada2

924d3d97d06d132f40b03c2076412ce2

GMHBA Stadium in Geelong is also due to be completed before 2026. Another oval stadium. Could help to host Cricket.

kardinia-park-redevelopment-9.jpg

7650_KPSS5_Bowl_West.jpg?width=952&heigh

KIA Arena has just been completed and is a nice little arena that would come in handy. Right in the middle of Melbourne Park. I have suggested above maybe Beach Volleyball?

kia-arena-aerial.jpg

kia-arena-2.jpg

Margaret Court Arena (also in Melbourne Park) is another venue that would be handy right in the heart of Melbourne Park. It has a retractable roof too and has hosted Basketball and Netball along with Tennis at the AO. Wasn't around in 2006 so we have two newer venues in the area that would be useful for a CWG.

MCA.%20900%20x%20400.png

MCA-netball.jpg

The State Netball Hockey Centre in Parkville which was used in 2006 has also just received a new redevelopment to update facilities. 

State%20Netball%20Hockey%20Centre%201.jp

32a8c29d4bebf33e451da35e16437599

The State Basketball Centre is also undergoing a major redevelopment and will also house Gymnastics Victoria. I am not too sure if they would be able to fit crowds into the Gymnastics area or if it is just a training facility (even if it is training, it is still a great facility to have for the games). The basketball courts could host come events with temporary seating.

state-basketball-centre-exterior-2_0.jpg

state-basketball-centre-court-2_1.jpg

state-basketball-centre-gymnastics_0.jpg

I am sure if cricket is included (which I hope it is especially when cricket is aimed to be in Brisbane 2032) that some games especially women's matches will be held at the Junction Oval in St Kilda, just down the road from MSAC and near St Kilda beach.

SE_MK_JunctionOval12.jpg

Regional centres are interested in hosting however, I would assume most of the major events though (Athletics, Swimming, Cycling, Ceremonies) would be held in Melbourne. The 'leftovers' would then be held in regional Victoria. There is no chance the major sports are hosed in Regional Vic. They do not have the major stadia required to do so. Most might have a regional indoor basketball stadium and a football/cricket oval.. Maybe a rectangular soccer field too. 9 News understands that events will be centred around Melbourne, Geelong and Ballarat with some events also in Bendigo, Shepparton and the Latrobe Valley. One positive though is regional stadia and facilities may get a redevelopment and upgrade which will be much needed however is 4 years really enough to get the redevelopments done especially when starting from scratch with no planning yet etc? Travel time into the country will also be an issue as V-Line trains are really the only option and they appear to be unreliable too. In saying that, 2006 included events in Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong, Lysterfield Park and Traralgon (most of them were Basketball though and regular Basketball is no longer on the CWG list of sports. Melbourne could easily host the games on their own without regional Victoria.

I definitely think the games should be moved to later in the year (October-November 2026) to buy some more preparation time. According to looking up online how long it would take for an athletics track to be built, approx 10-12 weeks to build the track. I don't know if they would be able to fast track it? If there needs to be any rows of seating taken out earlier, this could be done prior to the end of the football season- it would just mean there would be a smaller crowd size at finals and Grand Final. They could start the AFL season earlier so the Grand Final is in the first weekend of September then the MCG would be ready for late November for the Commonwealth Games. Looking back on the dates of past games, the following have been later in the year (September plus)

Perth 1962- 22 Nov-1 Dec

Brisbane 1982- 30 Sep-9 Oct

Kuala Lumpur 1998- 11 Sep-21 Sep

Delhi 2010- 3 Oct-14 Oct

As you can see, the majority have been either early or middle of the year but there has been cities before that held the games later in the year (twice in Australia too)

That Geelong stadium looks like it could take a track if they wanted a more regional Victorian games. I'm not too keen on the G being used tbh, it's really too big for the Commonwealth Games - the scale of 06 is possibly part of why it's been so hard to get cities interested since. Whatever, love Melbourne, it always hosts every event well and frankly it's good that it'll be somewhere. Bring on the end of the alternation with Canada 2030 after. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yoshi said:

That Geelong stadium looks like it could take a track if they wanted a more regional Victorian games. I'm not too keen on the G being used tbh, it's really too big for the Commonwealth Games - the scale of 06 is possibly part of why it's been so hard to get cities interested since. Whatever, love Melbourne, it always hosts every event well and frankly it's good that it'll be somewhere. Bring on the end of the alternation with Canada 2030 after. 

The stadium in Geelong is too narrow for an athletics track 

12 hours ago, yoshi said:

I had a look at it and put an athletics track (Landy Field for ref) onto Kardinia Park, it almost sits perfectly with limited seats having to be removed to fit the track. This does include the pits on the inside of the track though. The new redevelopment will house 40,000 plus so maybe that is the best bet? I still think though have the Opening Ceremony at the MCG. It will still pack out 100,000 for a CWG Opening Ceremony then follow Glasgow 2014 and have the Closing Ceremony in Geelong at GMHBA Stadium (Kardinia Park). 

This link will provide some detail on the redevelopment: https://www.kardiniapark.vic.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Planning-Report_Stage-5-Redevelopment-of-Kardinia-Park-Stadium_4.pdf

dpOpusk.jpg

Below is a map of the area. There is a short walk to Landy Field which could be used for warm up or they could put a temporary track at St Mary's Sporting club field? GCG won't be touched. South Geelong station is a short walk however, it is not a big station at all. Maybe they look at a Kardinia Park station to be built with multiple platforms right next to the station? This is one of the downsides of regional venues. GC was bad enough getting out of the stadium, it will be a nightmare in Geelong as well.

F4D0IoE.jpg

Below is a birds eye view of MCG in 2006. It does show there were some seats taken out.

XD8jrtt.png

Below is a comparison of the Melbourne Park/MCG area from 2006 to 2021. There has been massive changes and a few extra arenas that would be very handy for 2026.

652uju7.jpg

I know I am probably getting a bit ahead of myself but as a proud Melbourne boy and proud Victoria, I find it hard to see no excitement in this. Brisbane 2032 will be awesome but my heart will always remain true to Melbourne and the fact I missed 2006 since i was only 4 yo, I think this will be an amazing moment for our city and something I will be incredibly proud to be a part of. Hopefully, I will be a volunteer, attend the ceremonies, the events and fingers crossed, hopefully carry the Queens Baton. 

When should we expect an announcement? Is March still the deadline? They will need to prepare a handover ceremony. I cannot imagine our Premier, Dan Andrews attending due to the delicate political situation here in Victoria following COVID-19 and lockdowns however, our Lord Mayor Sally Capp could well be in attendance to accept the flag and bring it home to Melbourne. The Closing Ceremony will take place from 7-9am Melbourne time so they could do a live cross however, there won't be many people in attendance (although I for sure will be there if there is anything!)

I hope they get Paul Kelly to sing Leaps and Bounds at the 2022 Closing Ceremony during the handover ceremony