2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

Alexjc

On 12/2/2021 at 4:29 PM, AustralianFan said:

Hi guys, the Perth 2026 thread has been rebuilt, sort of, as best as I can folloiwng its accidental deletion of it by a gamesbids moderator who profusely apologised.

I’ve copied over a few posts from this thread and some new posts including these posts above.

Here is the link to the new Perth 2026 thread.

Brisbane... Perth.... how come it is the Australian city threads always being deleted?? Hmmm

On 12/4/2021 at 2:22 PM, Victorian said:

Brisbane... Perth.... how come it is the Australian city threads always being deleted?? Hmmm

All this happened just once only on one day recently.

I logged on that day and reported to the Gamesbids moderator a series of international scammer posts from that suddenly appeared  in all the visible Gamesbids threads.    

But Gamesbids moderator somehow accidentally deleted the threads I had created “Brisbane 2032” and “Perth 2026” and probably someother threads I have created over the years as well that I can’t renember the names of right now.

Yes it was a weird and bizarre mistake by the Gamesbids moderator in question to delete the threads of the Gamesbids member who was only reporting the scammers (????).

Anyway, I will never report scammers again to moderators on Gamesbids.com

If I see any scammer posts again, I will ignore them.   Once bitten, twice shy.

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

not a bad idea - i was a volunteer at 2006, but it is a bit concerning they are basically relying on the UK and Australia to alternate hosting.  i think realistically, this is the last roll before 2032 and Australia won't host before 2038 as the corporate dollar will not be there post 2032.

they need to really diversify hosts - Jo'burg could be a good one and use it as a steeping stone to an olympic bid (worked for Brisbane), I'd love to see another NZ comm games and even one in the Caribbean. 

Melbourne could host a Commonwealth Games tomorrow

The only issue would be Track & Field, would they rip up the MCG to install a track?

2025/26 is the dates for the next English Ashes Thrashing so Cricket Australia would not be impressed missing by the timing, unless they can quickly build a track after the end of the Boxing Day Test assuming March would be the Games date

25 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

The only issue would be Track & Field, would they rip up the MCG to install a track?

they did for 2006. they had the boxing day test in December, than the ground closed whilst it was prepped for the comm games in March. it just ment the AFL had more reliance on other gorunds - i think Princess park was even called into action again

I recall the difference last time was that the athletics track on the MCG is too large for the actual arena, so they built the new stands accomodating the track which was built and covered underneath and then after the games they modified the stands into their present configuration

Not sure they could do that again this time

I imagine they would use a smaller venue with temporary stands for a short-notice scaled down Games. Also it then wouldn't interrupt the AFL (who control the universe)...

Nothing wrong with a say 25,000-30,000 venue for athletics at this stage. They can have the Opening at the MCG or even the indoor Marvel Arena (50,000) if they want.

• Like 1

I thought the idea was squashed by Martin Pakula last year. I have a contact in the Vic Gov who mentioned that it had been considered through previous discussions with CGF. As speculated the idea then was that it would be watered down and very different to the 2006 Games - potentially T&F at Lakeside Stadium with temp seating (which would actually make a great core sports precinct assuming Aquatics would be at MSAC nearby). 

Doubtful MCG would play any role at all. Possibly Ceremonies at Docklands Stadium?

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

I recall the difference last time was that the athletics track on the MCG is too large for the actual arena, so they built the new stands accomodating the track which was built and covered underneath and then after the games they modified the stands into their present configuration

Not sure they could do that again this time

It was a huge undertaking and frankly I doubt the MCG would be altered in such a way for a short notice Comm Games. 

We would only ever see T&F at MCG again if the Olympics came back to town, and that isn't happening this century. 

I think this regional approach is best. 

Another reason to avoid the MCG is the optics. If you're trying to downsize the Games and make them appealing to smaller hosts staging ceremonies and athletics in a 100,000 seat former Olympic Stadium isn't the way to do it..... looked spectacular though and gave you a bit of a clue as to what the 1996 Games might have looked like here:

4836441.jpg

39 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

I think this regional approach is best. 

Another reason to avoid the MCG is the optics. If you're trying to downsize the Games and make them appealing to smaller hosts staging ceremonies and athletics in a 100,000 seat former Olympic Stadium isn't the way to do it..... looked spectacular though and gave you a bit of a clue as to what the 1996 Games might have looked like here:

4836441.jpg

I still think athletics will be at the MCG. No other ground or venue would be able to accomodate it. Athletics will have strong crowds given Australians love their sport 

Just now, Victorian said:

I still think athletics will be at the MCG. No other ground or venue would be able to accomodate it. Athletics will have strong crowds given Australians love their sport 

Lakeside Stadium (potentially upgraded) in Albert Park is already under consideration - or at least it was last year when the State Govt was considering it. 

Just now, Australian Kiwi said:

Lakeside Stadium (potentially upgraded) in Albert Park is already under consideration - or at least it was last year when the State Govt was considering it. 

I don’t think lakeside is big enough unfortunately. Public transport to the ground also is not the best. MCG is blessed with walking distance to the city, trams, trains and a big car park 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

I don’t think lakeside is big enough unfortunately. Public transport to the ground also is not the best. MCG is blessed with walking distance to the city, trams, trains and a big car park 

I'd expect it would be boosted with temporary seating (or even some new permanent stands to create a small athletics stadium). Could be a potential future IAAF venue.