Sign in to follow this  
Alexjc

2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

44 minutes ago, Nacre said:

There is little media coverage of the Commonwealth Games in Canada. I haven't lived in Canada since I went to university in Vancouver over a decade ago, but I saw nothing about the commies in the Canadian news then and I can't imagine it's any better now.

Of note, though, is that Sport Canada had a large amount of public money allocated for the 2026 winter games in Calgary that is now back in the pool for spending on something else.

Edmonton isn't a sexy option but they recently did a $120 million upgrade of the Commonwealth Stadium, built a 18,000 seat arena for the NHL, and will need a small football stadium for their new Canadian Premier League team which should work for the rugby sevens venue. And they still have their aquatics center and velodrome from the 1978 games, which would only need to be renovated. It is the only Canadian city that makes sense as Montreal is a non-starter due to language issues.

The big problem for Edmonton or Montreal for 2026 is the FIFA World Cup unless if the CWF agrees to change the year till 2027 then I don't see Canada hosting it in 2026.

Kenya is eyeing the 2025 IAAF if they do host it and get it then I can see Nairobi bidding to host the Commonwealth Games in the 2030's.

The best new option is by far Singapore but will the government go for it if asked by the federation they hosted the 2015 SEA Games and 2010 Youth Olympics Games.

New Zealand I don't see them having it in Wellington or Christchurch any more and Auckland is shaping out to be the major sports centre in New Zealand but will the current government allow it I don't think the Green Party in the coalition government will agree to it.

Australia the best place for the next Commonwealth Games is Perth, Perth got the direct flights to London now they have a amazingly great new stadium which are already in the talks to expand it to 70,000 seats. 

3 hours ago, Olympianfan said:

The big problem for Edmonton or Montreal for 2026 is the FIFA World Cup unless if the CWF agrees to change the year till 2027 then I don't see Canada hosting it in 2026.

I don't think any city in Canada will bid for 2026. Don't forget that Toronto will also be hosting the World Cup in 2026.

Edited by Nacre

On 1/4/2019 at 2:52 AM, Olympianfan said:

So the bidding deadline happened for the 2026 Commonwealth Games and there are no news about the race from the Commonwealth Games federation about the 2026 Commonwealth Games, What is going on right now? 

Nobody bid most likely

Perth dropped out a day before the deadline

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/athletics/world-athletics-championship-push-for-perth-in-2029-no-commonwealth-games-bid-ng-b881060779z

On 1/5/2019 at 7:47 AM, Olympianfan said:

New Zealand I don't see them having it in Wellington or Christchurch any more and Auckland is shaping out to be the major sports centre in New Zealand but will the current government allow it I don't think the Green Party in the coalition government will agree to it.

New Zealand's main cities...Flat out not interested in a CWGs this side of 2030. 

I'm wondering if a paired down "emergency" venue is being geared up? 

If Nairobi Kenya gets the 2025 IAAF it would be a great warm up event for the 2026 Commonwealth Games they will finally bring the games to Africa, Kenya got an stable government and a good economy I hope if it a new place it will be Singapore 2026, Kenya still got more building work to do if they do a great 2025 IAAF then an 2030s Commonwealth Games would be very good in Nairobi Kenya.

The 2026 Comm Games decision is only a few months away...and from all my searching there only seems to be one bid left-  Adelaide (my new home)...The Comm Games Federation has been through town a number of times and been impressed, we have a new Government here in full support and no local opposition...

So I suspect Adelaide it will be. Adelaide needs no new venues, hosts numerous festivals a year and can do it easily- accommodation will be tight though.

Meh...like the idea of Adelaide hosting (should have been their turn instead of GC) but I just get the feeling that unless Hamilton really can somehow come through for 2030 they might as well formalise the UK-Oz alternation & have done with it. Oh for a NZ, South Africa, Singapore etc just for something different - this’d mean only 1 of the last 7 Games was outside UK/Oz. 

• Like 1

I agree it is not Australia's turn, and it is not good for the Games...but having no host is worse, and it is a really great city...beautifully planned, huge gardens, major venues right in the city, good trains and trams, beaches etc.....so it will be a good, cheap Games that won't scare future cities (like a budget blowout  Delhi or an Olympian scale Melbourne).

Oh, no doubt there - Adelaide will host a great games, all you mention plus the Adelaide Oval is crying out for a CG track (like I say, it should’ve been them before GC), & of course having no host is worse. It’s just a great shame that only our countries seem interested anymore. You can probably put Perth 2034 down now.

Even though the real new frontier type countries have probably been terrified by Delhi then Durban, even 2026 in Canada or NZ would be something different. With what’s happened there lately, Christchurch 2026 would be a particularly good story & target for the city. Not sure why it doesn’t appear to have even been considered by them :(

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:17 AM, yoshi said:

Oh, no doubt there - Adelaide will host a great games, all you mention plus the Adelaide Oval is crying out for a CG track (like I say, it should’ve been them before GC), & of course having no host is worse. It’s just a great shame that only our countries seem interested anymore. You can probably put Perth 2034 down now.

Even though the real new frontier type countries have probably been terrified by Delhi then Durban, even 2026 in Canada or NZ would be something different. With what’s happened there lately, Christchurch 2026 would be a particularly good story & target for the city. Not sure why it doesn’t appear to have even been considered by them :(

It's Simple...NZ has no interest in them...Yes there is always a "when are we going to host again?" every time the games are on but it soon shuts down when $$$$ are shown. The only city that can realistically host them for now is Auckland but that city is in the throws of a decade long infrastructure building boom that wont be ready in time.

Also remember the last time Christchurch hosted was in 1974 when it was just the 10 core sports. Christchurch is still far from recovered in Earthquake damage repairs...Ratepayers have enough to pay for service already.

I still think the next host will be Australian...if nobody else wants them...And sadly they may have to stay in England if otherwise.

Louise Martin interview on BBC radio said that the plan is to announce the 2026 & 2030 hosts at the General Assembly in October

2026 Adelaide

2030 Hamilton

no other candidates expressed any interest, so lock them in Paris/LA style

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sensible I guess - good to see Canada finally host again :) Hopefully 2030 will be the end of the rotation between us & Australia, & other countries will be able to go for it. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if the next two after that still end up being the UK (Cardiff?) & Perth. 

Not a surprise.  They are too expensive unless you have the vast majority of venues and infrastructure already in place.  Adelaide most likely has enough venues - however they may not be of the right capacity for the CGF.

It may get to the point where the CGF will approach cities directly. Melbourne again? Back to back in the UK?

6 hours ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

Not a surprise.  They are too expensive unless you have the vast majority of venues and infrastructure already in place.  Adelaide most likely has enough venues - however they may not be of the right capacity for the CGF.

It may get to the point where the CGF will approach cities directly. Melbourne again? Back to back in the UK?

Maybe they will reach out to Singapore to finally get them to host they got the venues for the games Singapore 2026? Back to Delhi 2026?

Or they could simply reduce the venue requirements. Why do the Commonwealth Games require a larger athletics stadium than the IAAF World Championships in Athletics? The UCI Track Cycling World Championships will make due with 1,800 seats but the CGF needs a velodrome with at least 4,000 seats. And so on.