2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

What’s the emoji for laughing and shaking your head at the same time?

… I admit I’m pessimistic about the value, sustainability and future of the commies, but if they were going to try to keep it going, I’d be happy to see an African nation have a go, and it did occur to me that Ghana, having only just staged its All-Africa Games, might just be in a position to keep its facilities ready and step in quickly.

And Abuja? Wouldn’t that be just soooo ironic :P

Would almost make me want to check is a certain former was still on Twitter/X, and sharing his thoughts…

Edited by Sir Rols

On 4/10/2024 at 2:20 AM, Gonzo said:

I think an all out 'last games' in 2030 in London would be a nice way to finish it all up

100 years after the first one

Then move onto something else like Commonwealth Championships or something

Yep.

I could see them doing something like that in order to give 2030 to Ghana - unless Ghana's offer is based on keeping all the African Games stuff up. Like I've said before, I know Canada and London are considered the obvious choices for the centennial but there'd be something poetic about it being the one where it finally gets to Africa. Basically they should ask Ghana what's best for them & work around that - it's time. 

• Thanks 1

"We are ready to explore our concept with the CGF and key partners in greater detail, with the aim of delivering a world class-sporting event in Scotland using a model that could be replicated across the Commonwealth for future editions."

"Glasgow has a fantastic track record of delivering large sporting events within sensible budgets, with world class facilities and expertise already in place as a legacy of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games a decade ago."

Lol

Edited by Rob2012

Yeah they don't really fit with each other - it can be replicated across the Commonwealth, in all the cities that have... recently hosted the Games anyway :ph34r:. Also lol at the fact that Melbourne (city) could've done exactly this very easily...

(I'm wondering where they'll put athletics, it took ages to put that platform into Hampden, although it seemed to work very well)

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Yeah they don't really fit with each other - it can be replicated across the Commonwealth, in all the cities that have... recently hosted the Games anyway :ph34r:. Also lol at the fact that Melbourne (city) could've done exactly this very easily...

(I'm wondering where they'll put athletics, it took ages to put that platform into Hampden, although it seemed to work very well)

Which is why the Victorian Government pulling the lever on full cancellation was controversial and political. They'd rather have done that, than be seen to be taking an event away from the regional cities to the capital which could have held it effortlessly. 

Perhaps what they're proposing would be more replicable and I should get a slap for my first response being cynically pasting those paragraphs next to each other.

But we need to see the details.

But what does replicability mean now when it comes to these Games? A decade ago we were (rightly. I think) praising Glasgow for bringing things down to a smaller, manageable scale after Melbourne and Delhi. That lasted all of two editions post-Glasgow before being seen as too big again. It does just seem like the whole thing is running out of momentum.

Edited by Rob2012

14 hours ago, Rob2012 said:

Perhaps what they're proposing would be more replicable and I should get a slap for my first response being cynically pasting those paragraphs next to each other.

But we need to see the details.

But what does replicability mean now when it comes to these Games? A decade ago we were (rightly. I think) praising Glasgow for bringing things down to a smaller, manageable scale after Melbourne and Delhi. That lasted all of two editions post-Glasgow before being seen as too big again. It does just seem like the whole thing is running out of momentum.

Out of interest, what was "unmanageable" about Melbourne?
It was almost entirely existing venues/ upgrades to existing venues (which had been planned regardless). 

10 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Out of interest, what was "unmanageable" about Melbourne?
It was almost entirely existing venues/ upgrades to existing venues (which had been planned regardless). 

10 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

In fact, it was Manchester that built a new stadium and aquatic centre for the Games.

I didn't mean to say Melbourne itself was unmanageable - just that these almost Olympic-scale Commonwealth Games hostings would be unmanageable and out-of-reach for most other cities, who are either not blessed with venues of that size or couldn't afford to build them. And sure, in term of construction, include Manchester in that as well. Certainly include Delhi.

Glasgow '14 definitely scaled down from what had gone before. And we thought that had become the model. But apparently not.

• 2 weeks later...

If Glasgow hosts in 2026, it appears that Scotstoun Stadium would host Athletics

https://www.bbc.com/sport/commonwealth-games/68836994

I still think Hampden Park would be a better venue - Athletics especially in the UK always does get great crowds so investing in building the track at Hampden Park like 2014 would be needed. 

Compare the pair

hampden.jpg

DmO4eaGX4AAybe4.jpg

15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

If Glasgow hosts in 2026, it appears that Scotstoun Stadium would host Athletics

https://www.bbc.com/sport/commonwealth-games/68836994

I still think Hampden Park would be a better venue - Athletics especially in the UK always does get great crowds so investing in building the track at Hampden Park like 2014 would be needed. 

Compare the pai

Beggars can't be choosers.