2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

1 minute ago, ulu said:

The pools at Gold Coast Aquatic Centre were certified for elite competition already in 2014 when the Pan Pacific Championships were hosted there and Ledecky set multiple WRs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Pan_Pacific_Swimming_Championships#Women's_events

Kardinia Aquatic Centre was used for the World Aquatics Championships in 2007 as a training venue. Could they possibly have FINA accreditation because of that? 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Victorian said:

An idea for a logo. Each colour represents a major host city and there is a variant for each city to use within the town.

6oyTM4M.png

Great logos! 

My only suggestion is to drop the Southern Cross for simplicity. Similar in some ways to the Victoria '94 logo (V for Victoria/Victory and for the medal ribbon). 

You should tweet this to the Premier!

While the Feds have more or less said there will be no cash (except for security) I'll be interested to see whether the Geelong City Deal is sped up to provide funding for the Convention Centre. 

Might still be a stretch to have it delivered by 2026 (bizarre Andrews is pushing March and not an October-Dec Games). 

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/sites/default/files/migrated/cities/city-deals/geelong/files/geelong-city-deal-snapshot.pdf

On 2/16/2022 at 8:46 AM, Victorian said:

An idea for a logo. Each colour represents a major host city and there is a variant for each city to use within the town.

6oyTM4M.png

Aussies here seem to be determined to make their Games sound as unappealing as possible. SEQ 2032, and now Regional Victoria 2026. A confusing acronym and Games that sounds like a local bus service. :P

Nice logo. But drop the "Regional", make Victoria bigger in a prouder font and it'll be much better.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Rob. said:

Aussies here seem to be determined to make their Games sound as unappealing as possible. SEQ 2032, and now Regional Victoria 2026. A confusing acronym and Games that sounds like a local bus service. :P

Nice logo. But drop the "Regional", make Victoria bigger in a prouder font and it'll be much better.

Trying to deviate from the Victoria 94 games 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 5:36 PM, Australian Kiwi said:

Not sure why the media has run with this - the article itself mentions that the Ballarat Mayor mentions that Mars Stadium is not fit for purpose and that it should be held in Geelong at Kardinia. 

No, you've misquoted the Ballarat Mayor. Mayor Daniel Maloney indicated that Mars Stadium was a perfect fit for the athletics and was asked about the possibility of Ballarat also hosting "Opening and Closing Ceremonies" he stated that at a 30,000 capacity for athletics, Mars Stadium would be too small for the O/C ceremonial role and that GMHBA Stadium was more fit for purpose.

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2022 at 7:44 PM, Victorian said:

I know it is very early days but would like to see these elements included in ceremonies

Victoria's Gold Diggers and the Eureka Heritage
Australia's Farmers
Emergency Services
Indigenous Victoria

As for songs, I was quite disappointed that Gold Coast forgot some of the Australian classics!
I Still Call Australia Home
I am Australian
Up There Cazaly
Waltzing Matilda

And for the closing ceremony ... The Carnival is Over

On 2/17/2022 at 8:36 AM, Gonzo said:

This is the most deceitful, corrupt, lying, PR obsessed, manipulating government led by a egotistical tyrant (although that title is being challenged at the moment by the clown out West) in Australian History

S:lol: I'm guessing that Premier Andrews shouldn't anticipate a Christmas Card from you this year?

Strong words. "Egotistical tyrrant". WOW!!! :o

I'm sure that Dan Andrews would be delighted to be lumped into the same category along with Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, Kim Jong Il, Augusto Pinochet, Idi Amin, Pol Pot, Kim Jong Un, Saddam Hussein, Nicolae Ceausescu, Slobedan Milosevic, Bashar al-Assad, Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin.

Are you really sure that you understand the concept of what an "egotistical tyrrant" really is? ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Back to square one

CGF is working with Australia first however with all cities saying no, I highly doubt Australia will host 2026. Perth is probably the best candidate with the mayor pushing to host but it doesn’t have government support.  London is the next best option but doesn’t confirm they will bid. A multi UK city bid could work (city not country town) possibly a Birmingham-Manchester-Liverpool bid? 

Scotland is suggesting looking into if they could host

London’s mayor is happy to host if the government wants to bid

Christchurch’s mayor wants to host