2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

16 hours ago, Victorian said:

A Melbourne Olympics will never happen because the IOC mandates the games must be held in the middle of the year. The combination of weather and the AFL prevents this from happening. Would be better as an early Autumn or Spring games.

4 hours ago, Lord David said:

What mandate? If you're the only city who wants the games, then you can host it any time you please. But it was Brisbane that put their hand up and the AOC went with them.

Incorrect.  

The IOC does have a July/August hosting mandate.

It was introduced some time after Sydney 2000 and requires that the Summer Olympic Games can only be held in July or August. 

That is why the AOC got behind Brisbane for 2032 because Melbourne or Sydney or any other southern capital are too wet and cold in July/August.

Melbourne or Sydney and the other southern Australian capitals are now effectively ruled out of future bids for the Summer Games because of this IOC rule.

No, you cannot host any time you please.

Its kind of ridiculous really - July / August is terrible weather in many major cities. I've always thought northern autumn / southern spring to be the most optimal (and fair in terms of opening up as many hosts as possible). 

In addition to Melbourne and Sydney it also effectively rules out the likes of Bangkok or any other SE Asian host (too wet/ monsoonal), Buenos Aries, Cape Town, Johannesburg (all too cold), Dubai (too hot)..... whatever, its not as if the IOC is struggling to attract candidate cities ;)

• Like 1

Although the prospect of a fourth successive Games (and a sixth in seven) being staged in either the UK or Australia doesn't exactly fill me with joy, I'm more encouraged by the prospect of a Victoria-wide Games than simply going back to Melbourne. A state or region-wide plan seems to me to give the Commonwealth Games more chance of survival in the longer term.

1 minute ago, FYI said:

Exclusive dialog?! Just sounds like another "closed, secret, premium enclave" at work here! :angry:

It is the New Norm and Melbourne entered into dialogue with the CGF following them sifting through a Crowded Field of cities including Parramatta, Perth and Shah Alam. 

Victoria in Exclusive Negotiations to host 2026 Commonwealth Games - Click Here to Learn More

• Haha 1

What's Mars Stadium?! Geelong I guess. Good to see the Games survive, even if it is a bit boring (Australia again?) but you get to host these things often because you're enthusiastic and good at it. Hopefully that's two games sorted, if Canada comes through to finally break the alternation. Then maybe somewhere else different for 2034, I'd like to see the UK Australia Ashes given a rest for a while - although I'd make an exception for Cardiff. 

Q: Exclusive dialog?! Just sounds like another "closed, secret, premium enclave" at work here!

Any Commonwealth city could have come forward and grabbed the Games over the last 18 months but no one wanted it.......the process is of no importance in this case, it is just get a signature on a contract before Birmingham!

Commonwealth Federation dodged a bullet getting a white knight like Victoria to sign up. What will the Games be called- Victoria (we have had one of those)? Melbourne? Melbourne/Victoria? mmm

2 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Q: Exclusive dialog?! Just sounds like another "closed, secret, premium enclave" at work here!

Any Commonwealth city could have come forward and grabbed the Games over the last 18 months but no one wanted it.......the process is of no importance in this case, it is just get a signature on a contract before Birmingham!

Commonwealth Federation dodged a bullet getting a white knight like Victoria to sign up. What will the Games be called- Victoria (we have had one of those)? Melbourne? Melbourne/Victoria? mmm

Will be either Victoria 2026 or Regional Victoria 2026

I really think the gov doesn’t want to have events in Melbourne but might be with no option to do so.