2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

Might it be time for a significant scale down of the CWGs? I know the CWF had talked about it and reduced the number of compulsory sports but might it be necessary to go further such as perhaps reduce the size to something more on the scale of the Jeux de Francophone or the SE Asian Games?

On 2/3/2022 at 12:47 PM, TorchbearerSydney said:

I agree, but pretty sure a Victorian/Melbourne Games will retain all the Commonwealth sports....its 2030 when things may take a dramatic turn.

Agree, a new era and decade...

However I don't see a mass culling of events. I know there has been a lot of pushback with Track Cycling due to it's cost, elitism, and insistence of being an indoor spruce track event. This is why Durban tried to be rid of it. But the only nations that seemingly want to host already have those facilities.

I'd like to see them go down to say...12 sports?... Have some sports on an eight year rotation? A classic example is Netball, a non Olympic event and not really played outside of the commonwealth.  England wins 2018 CWGs. NZ bundled out without even medalling comes back in 2019 to win the World Cup...So who are the true champions? 

Glasgow showed the way forward in '14. (and to a lesser extent Victoria '94 in the ten sports era). Gold Coast 2018 proved the games can go back to a more inclusive event although still came in around the same as Glasgow.

Melbourne/Victoria could also prove the concept of regionalisation that helps lower costs.

The last "really mattered" CWGs was Brisbane 1982, as the Olympics went through the boycott era. 

The largest "realistic" CWGs was Manchester 2002.  Kuala Lumpa '98, and Melbourne '06 were far too big and this had a detrimental effect on New Delhi '10 which assumed it needed to compete in size and grandeur...Now considered one of the worst games.

On 2/8/2022 at 8:25 AM, TorchbearerSydney said:

I can excuse KL for being big- this was Malaysia's big coming out party on the world stage....but Melbourne and Delhi were just over-the-top.

It was so obvious Melbourne was trying to compete with Sydney 2000 for scale (I went to both), and the then Premier even said that, but what a pointless exercise.

I don't disagree, but I don't understand how Melbourne could have held 2006 any differently? Should it have never bidded at all? Of course Sydney taking the Olympics was part of it, but it was also Australia's time to host and Melbourne was the obvious city at that time. 

Melbourne was fine, but the Premier (Kennett) kept stating how it would be bigger than Sydney- which is absurd. The facilities were huge, the ceremonies monumental, even the ticket prices were ridiculous ( I was at the opening and the stadium was only 60 percent full for example ). 

It was all over-the-top.

It could be done on half the budget now and be just as good.

Tasmania is lacking in facilities imo. Opening ceremony at Blundstone Arena? Not a lot on indoor arenas. Mostly outdoor.

Hobart: Blundstone Arena, MyState Bank Arena, KGV Oval, KGV Park, Twin Ovals, Domain Athletic Centre, Domain Tennis Centre, NTCA Ground, North Hobart Oval, Tasmanian Hockey Centre

Launceston: UTAS Stadium, Silverdome

Ulverstone: Ulverstone Sports & Leisure Centre

Swimming will need to find a venue, Athletics could be at the Domain Athletic Centre but would need quite a bit of temporary seating.

15 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Melbourne was fine, but the Premier (Kennett) kept stating how it would be bigger than Sydney- which is absurd. The facilities were huge, the ceremonies monumental, even the ticket prices were ridiculous ( I was at the opening and the stadium was only 60 percent full for example ). 

It was all over-the-top.

It could be done on half the budget now and be just as good.

Well - Kennett was an idiot at the best of times most Victorians would agree with that. Everyone knew that the event was smaller than the Olympics.  In some ways 2006 had as much to do with Atlanta than it did Sydney. It demonstrated what a 1996 Olympics might have felt like and was mentioned at the time as paving the way for a Melbourne tilt at an Olympics post-2020 .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scotguy II said:

I personally think Melbourne should have went for the 2032 Olympics over Brisbane.

A Melbourne Olympics will never happen because the IOC mandates the games must be held in the middle of the year. The combination of weather and the AFL prevents this from happening. Would be better as an early Autumn or Spring games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scotguy II said:

I personally think Melbourne should have went for the 2032 Olympics over Brisbane.

Unfortunately, the new IOC rules mandate that the Summer Games must be held in July/August.

Because it’s too cold and wet at this time, is why Melbourne, Sydney and other southern capitals are ruled out of hosting the Summer Olympics.  Sad but true.   The new rules were introduced after Sydney hosted the Games in September and October, 2000.

The huge amounts of money that NBC pour into the IOC is thought to be behind this July/August Hosting rule.

Brisbane/South East Queensland and it’s great weather in July/August was then the logical choice to bid for the 2032 Games.

3 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Brisbane/South East Queensland and it’s great weather in July/August was then the logical choice to bid for the 2032 Games.

TBH it'll still be a fairly mild/cool Olympics. Brisbane isn't tropical.

However warmer than wet and windy Sydney and frosty Melbourne in July. Lucky for Brisbane ;)

7 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

TBH it'll still be a fairly mild/cool Olympics. Brisbane isn't tropical.

However warmer than wet and windy Sydney and frosty Melbourne in July. Lucky for Brisbane ;)

I agree but July/August weather for optimum athletic performance.

Max temps low 20s

Min temps mid teens

Relatively low precipitation

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Victorian said:

A Melbourne Olympics will never happen because the IOC mandates the games must be held in the middle of the year. The combination of weather and the AFL prevents this from happening. Would be better as an early Autumn or Spring games.

What mandate? If you're the only city who wants the games, then you can host it any time you please. But it was Brisbane that put their hand up and the AOC went with them.