2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

If B.C. did not want to provide a small amount of funding for the World Cup, it's hard to imagine that the province will be willing to spend vastly more money on a project with substantially less public interest and commercial return.

33 minutes ago, Nacre said:

If B.C. did not want to provide a small amount of funding for the World Cup, it's hard to imagine that the province will be willing to spend vastly more money on a project with substantially less public interest and commercial return.

Yeah but we are desperate for a host

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2021 at 12:34 PM, Nacre said:

The only realistic choice is London. Capital costs would be near zero with the venues from 2012 re-used and no additional transport systems or hotels would be needed.

Would London even be interested? It seems like the CWF would need to figure out what a revamped and scaled down CWGs would look like before considering a host. Maybe the CWF scraps 2026 altogether and focuses on the new model for 2030?

With no need to build new venues, I don't see why London would turn down the chance to host an event like the Commonwealth Games if it was offered as the emergency host of last resort, as I think we're envisaging may be necessary. In theory, at least, it should be an economic win on the grounds of promoting visitor spending without high pre-event constructions costs and a potential political win if the pre-pandemic idea of bidding to host the Olympics again around 2036 actually had any substance to it.

My concern, though, is that going to a city like London in an emergency will not solve the core problem. The Commonwealth Games are not on the same scale as the Olympics and never will be. The CGF has to understand that and reform its hosting criteria so that it can go more easily to cities, and indeed regions, for whom it would be like an Olympics. The challenge is simple - adapt or die.

I think that the biggest problem is that Australia and Britain are something of a crutch for the CGF. Even in relatively prosperous countries like Canada and New Zealand there is little desire for the kind of games that were hosted in Glasgow and the Gold Coast.

It was hard to force through drastic reform when there were still some bidders available. But taking large sums of public money away from other areas and diverting them to sporting venues is a really hard sell in places outside of Australia and the UK. Hence the difficulty in getting games in Canada or South Africa across the finish line.

Edited by Nacre

On 6/6/2021 at 9:34 AM, Nacre said:

The only realistic choice is London. Capital costs would be near zero with the venues from 2012 re-used and no additional transport systems or hotels would be needed.

Have they ever had two successive CWGs in the same country before?  I think that's the hitch for a 2026 CWG turn for London.  It would vastly outshadow Birmingham 2022.  

On 7/12/2021 at 9:41 PM, Nacre said:

I think that the biggest problem is that Australia and Britain are something of a crutch for the CGF. Even in relatively prosperous countries like Canada and New Zealand there is little desire for the kind of games that were hosted in Glasgow and the Gold Coast.

It was hard to force through drastic reform when there were still some bidders available. But taking large sums of public money away from other areas and diverting them to sporting venues is a really hard sell in places outside of Australia and the UK. Hence the difficulty in getting games in Canada or South Africa across the finish line.

The fact there has only been one Commonwealth Games outside the UK and Australia so far this century really emphasises that point. But, having experienced the Glasgow games first hand as I did, I never had the impression that they were too big for the event or for the city. I can't really speak about the Gold Coast as my memory of those Games is pretty sketchy. But it seems to me that what is needed is, perhaps, a model following the kind of logic that the Rugby World Cup seems to have, where it's understood that going to a heartland nation like, say, New Zealand, comes with a financial hit which can be made up for by going to a more lucrative market the time after that. If that means reducing venue requirements and the like to encourage more than just the UK and Australia, then so be it.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some research this morning on what Olympic and Commonwealth Games events CWG countries have hosted and bidded for so we could identify what Commonwealth countries are capable of hosting future Commonwealth Games.

Europe:

England (CWG host in 1934, 2002, 2022. CWG bidder in 1978. Summer OLY host in 1908, 1948, 2012. Summer OLY bidder in 1992, 1996, 2000. Summer YOG bidder in 2018

Scotland (CWG host in 1970, 1986, 2014. CWYG host in 2000, CWG bidder in 1966

Wales (CWG host in 1958. CWG bidder in 1994

Isle of Man (CWYG host in 2011. CWYG bidder in 2008

Gibraltar (CWYG bidder in 2021

Oceania:

Australia (CWG host in 1938, 1962, 1982, 2006, 2018. CWYG host in 2004. CWG bidder in 1974, 1998. Summer OLY host in 1956, 2000, 2032. Summer OLY bidder in 1992, 1996.

New Zealand (CWG host in 1950, 1974, 1990. CWG bidder in 1970,

Samoa (CWYG host in 2015

Americas:

Canada (CWG host in 1930, 1942, 1954, 1978, 1994. CWG bidder in 2010. Summer OLY host in 1976. Summer OLY bidder in 1956, 1972, 1996, 2008. Winter OLY host in 1988, 2010. Winter OLY bidder in 1932, 1936, 1956, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, 2002

Jamaica (CWG host in 1966

Bahamas (CWYG host in 2017

Trinidad and Tobago (CWYG bidder in 2021)

Africa:

South Africa (Summer OLY bidder in 2004.

Nigeria (CWG bidder in 2014, Summer YOG bidder in 2022

Zimbabwe (CWG bidder in 1966

Botswana (Summer YOG bidder in 2022

Asia:

Malaysia (CWG host in 1998. Summer OLY bidder in 2008, Summer YOG bidder in 2010

Singapore (Summer YOG host in 2010

India (CWG host in 2010, CWYG host in 2008. CWG bidder in 1990, 1994

Sri Lanka (CWG bidder in 2018

On 7/14/2021 at 10:29 AM, arwebb said:

The fact there has only been one Commonwealth Games outside the UK and Australia so far this century really emphasises that point. But, having experienced the Glasgow games first hand as I did, I never had the impression that they were too big for the event or for the city. I can't really speak about the Gold Coast as my memory of those Games is pretty sketchy. But it seems to me that what is needed is, perhaps, a model following the kind of logic that the Rugby World Cup seems to have, where it's understood that going to a heartland nation like, say, New Zealand, comes with a financial hit which can be made up for by going to a more lucrative market the time after that. If that means reducing venue requirements and the like to encourage more than just the UK and Australia, then so be it.

New Zealand's CWG hosting isn't on this current Left leaning government's agenda this side of 2030. There was a last minute approach for a Christchurch 2026 hosting by locals but really just to encourage the new roofed main stadium to be built. (Don't even get started on that debacle...now underway but only 25k seats!)

On 7/30/2021 at 4:55 PM, Alexjc said:

New Zealand's CWG hosting isn't on this current Left leaning government's agenda this side of 2030. There was a last minute approach for a Christchurch 2026 hosting by locals but really just to encourage the new roofed main stadium to be built. (Don't even get started on that debacle...now underway but only 25k seats!)

Really? Wasn't the Christchurch stadium supposed to hold between 30,000 and 40,000?

On 8/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, stryker said:

Really? Wasn't the Christchurch stadium supposed to hold between 30,000 and 40,000?

:angry:Oh yeah...And then in July 2021 the city council finally approved construction but to only 25k pax.

Simply because costs of building materials have surged to almost out of reach costs.

BUT all is not lost as NZ Rugby said that first tier Tests will not be played in Chch... naturally setting off a reaction that has got Central govt attention...

Now we wait.

On 8/7/2021 at 10:47 PM, Alexjc said:

:angry:Oh yeah...And then in July 2021 the city council finally approved construction but to only 25k pax.

Simply because costs of building materials have surged to almost out of reach costs.

BUT all is not lost as NZ Rugby said that first tier Tests will not be played in Chch... naturally setting off a reaction that has got Central govt attention...

Now we wait.

The whole thing has been yet another failure by this current government.

25,000 will not be enough or acceptable for Christchurch. I really hope the people force a u-turn here.

The best scenario for a Commonwealth Games here is a NZ wide bid featuring sports in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin. Similar to Euro 2020.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/commonwealth-games-downsize-birmingham-2022-louise-martin-host

This is an interesting article. I don't think the number of sports is the issue here as such. The games in Glasgow were a good size and hosted well in a smaller city with not too. much new venues needed to be built.

They just need to simplify the capacities of venues and try as much as possible to combine sports in venues and of course align the sports that best fit and suit the host nations capabilities.

• Like 2

Article below - looks like Australia is likely to step for 2026 with talks underway with the NSW State Govt (likely 'Western Sydney 2026' centred upon Homebush, Parramatta and Blacktown). Makes sense - the region has some great infrastructure (even post-2000) and is getting a new international airport. It is in some ways a distinctly different flavour of Sydney than the more famous eastern side (even though the 2000 Olympic Park is technically in WS). 

I understand that the Victorian Government was engaged earlier this year but decided it was not a priority in our COVID recovery. I have it from a reliable source that a 'diluted' 2006 model was considered that might not have even included the MCG at all (I suspect Track and Field at Albert Park - ceremonies at Rod Laver?). Eventually landed on a No from us. SA also said No last year to an Adelaide hosting. 

Keen to see whether this NSW idea gets up - Western Sydney could be interesting and different to Melbourne and Gold Coast (and as the article says a good boost towards the 2032 Olympics). 

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/olympics/tokyo-olympics-2021-which-australian-sports-are-set-for-funding-boost/news-story/340c8d9ef26153489d6c171ac599594c

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/126044306/christchurch-to-get-30000seat-stadium-after-council-bends-to-the-will-of-the-people

(your link didn't work in "my region" apparently)

So they're building the bigger version. What's the problem? Not big enough, or has the process been a joke? I'm not sure I'm following you, not having followed this stadium development.

16 minutes ago, Rob. said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/126044306/christchurch-to-get-30000seat-stadium-after-council-bends-to-the-will-of-the-people

(your link didn't work in "my region" apparently)

So they're building the bigger version. What's the problem? Not big enough, or has the process been a joke? I'm not sure I'm following you, not having followed this stadium development.

30,000 jus is not that big a capacity... 40-50,000 would be better especially for revenue of events.

I guess it would only be sufficient should a com games be bid for as the All blacks are not selling out venues anymore so i guess for rugby it would be enough.

While I agree that this whole stadium debacle is a complete and utterly joke. In fact, delaying it has made it more problematic for us as it's costing us $1.2 mill a month for it. I just don't see how this stadium would lead to a Commonwealth Games bid considering that there is no intention of making it an Athletics capable venue. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see another Commonwealth Games bid in CHCH, I just don't see the stadium lead us into bidding for the games.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Vill said:

I just don't see how this stadium would lead to a Commonwealth Games bid considering that there is no intention of making it an Athletics capable venue.

Ah, and here's me assuming we were talking about a stadium that'd be the Games centrepiece (I was going to say 30k is fine for a CWG). So this is really just a tangential discussion in this thread.

Opening and Closing ceremonies as well as the Sevens at the indoor stadium. 

The new athletic facilities out at Nga Puna Wai park would have had temporary seating installed.

54 minutes ago, Alexjc said:

Opening and Closing ceremonies as well as the Sevens at the indoor stadium. 

The new athletic facilities out at Nga Puna Wai park would have had temporary seating installed.

Oh well, luckily we don't have to worry about a games bid during this governments terms as they are too busy destroying the country.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Probably won't make a difference in the short term for 2026 or 2030 but appointing a New Zealander to head up the CGF can surely only increase the odds of getting a games back to New Zealand in the not too distant future.

Only one can hope! This should also help in getting a host regardless for 2026 as it would now be the CGF's main focus with the CEO appointed

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2021 at 12:11 PM, Scotguy II said:

Oh well, luckily we don't have to worry about a games bid during this governments terms as they are too busy destroying the country.

They've actually switched off completely to any future sports events...

All that hard work to get NZ up to AAA status by the Clark/Cullen and Key/English/Joyce govt's, undone in four years...and we have Winston Peters to thank for it. 

Covid Pandemic no excuse!

No real future direction and the new AUKUS and Quad alliances clearly leaving NZ adrift.

The earliest interest the current Marxist/leftist govt is looking at for a multi sport event is 2034!

:angry: To ingrossed in getting New Zealand renamed Aotearoa by 2040!