2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

2026 could be a chance for England or Wales to have a turn...A new Monarch by then or if she is still chugging along, a 100 year old Queen!

If it's 2026 here, then I can only see it being in Cardiff. London, and perhaps Manchester, are the only English cities that could host without substantial investment and I don't see any other cities stepping forward any time soon.

The one British city I would love to see going for it would be Belfast.

New Zealand has relite the idea of hosting a CWGs in the mid future, 2026 being a likely attempt. The NZOC head did say there is now talk of a joint Auckland - Hamilton regional bid and as an outside chance, Christchurch. Although the later city would need to be fully repaired to an acceptable level to qualify...Next year NZ hosts the CGF conference and will be where the host of 2022 decided.

Auckland is going through a major infrastructure program, the largest ever known in the country including the completion of the motorway network, inner city rail loop and the duplicating of the airport.

Central Government has asked the NZOC to start a study on hosting proposals that would be acceptable for what would need national funding.

Christchurch is still seen by the public as the next host out of sheer emotion, it hosted one of the most popular games but there is an idea of bring back Wellington's 2006 plan in a modified form.

Plenty of cities that will be keen on hosting into the future as it seems to have gone really well in Scotland.

As has been mentioned earlier, I can see the likelihood of two safe games in a row being held before a punt is taken on a risky host. Until 2050 it could go along the lines of:

2022: Durban, South Africa

2026: Cardiff, Wales

2030: Hamilton, Canada

2034: Singapore, Singapore

2038: Christchurch, New Zealand

2042: Adelaide, Australia

2046: Cape Town, South Africa

2050: Edmonton, Canada

Four venues that would host for the first time, four getting it for a second time. I'd imagine that the Comm games are safe for awhile yet. Also think of some other places like Port of Spain in Trinidad & Tobago, Belfast Northern Ireland, Mumbai India. Reckon they could all pull off hosting the event if they wished. Even Nairobi in Kenya, although safety would be something that would be a consideration there.

New Zealand has relite the idea of hosting a CWGs in the mid future, 2026 being a likely attempt. The NZOC head did say there is now talk of a joint Auckland - Hamilton regional bid and as an outside chance, Christchurch. Although the later city would need to be fully repaired to an acceptable level to qualify...Next year NZ hosts the CGF conference and will be where the host of 2022 decided.

Auckland is going through a major infrastructure program, the largest ever known in the country including the completion of the motorway network, inner city rail loop and the duplicating of the airport.

Central Government has asked the NZOC to start a study on hosting proposals that would be acceptable for what would need national funding.

Christchurch is still seen by the public as the next host out of sheer emotion, it hosted one of the most popular games but there is an idea of bring back Wellington's 2006 plan in a modified form.

I saw that on stuff the other day.

Must say, and I have held this opinion for some time, that a Christchurch bid just doesn't appeal to me. Even looking that far into the future, they have bigger fish to fry, and I just don't see them having the infrastructure to pull off a hosting.

Must say the Auckland regional bid is an interesting one, though I'm not totally against it. The only proviso would be that venues outside of Auckland weren't selected just for the sake of it, but instead, because the city is unable to facilitate the event.

While I think Auckland could do with a veledrome, I can understand the appeal of using the Avantidrome in Cambridge, only downside is this is one of the big com sports in NZ, and it would be shunted out of the city.

Obviously Hamilton has two good arenas in the form of Mystery Creek and Claudlands, but Auckland seems abundant in indoor stadia.

Vector Arena, Trusts Stadium, North Shore Events Centre, Vodafone Events Centre and ASB Stadium.

In addition to that you have the ASB showgrounds and the various pavillions there, and the Viaduct Events Centre.

One would imagine the new Skycity convention centre would be used for media.

So, not entirely sure if Claudlands would need to be used .

• Like 1

I saw that on stuff the other day.

Must say, and I have held this opinion for some time, that a Christchurch bid just doesn't appeal to me. Even looking that far into the future, they have bigger fish to fry, and I just don't see them having the infrastructure to pull off a hosting.

Must say the Auckland regional bid is an interesting one, though I'm not totally against it. The only proviso would be that venues outside of Auckland weren't selected just for the sake of it, but instead, because the city is unable to facilitate the event.

While I think Auckland could do with a veledrome, I can understand the appeal of using the Avantidrome in Cambridge, only downside is this is one of the big com sports in NZ, and it would be shunted out of the city.

Obviously Hamilton has two good arenas in the form of Mystery Creek and Claudlands, but Auckland seems abundant in indoor stadia.

Vector Arena, Trusts Stadium, North Shore Events Centre, Vodafone Events Centre and ASB Stadium.

In addition to that you have the ASB showgrounds and the various pavillions there, and the Viaduct Events Centre.

One would imagine the new Skycity convention centre would be used for media.

So, not entirely sure if Claudlands would need to be used .

Regional proposals always brings up problems...Agree with the Cycling, need to rebuild the Manakau velodrome to full first class standard. Rowing can only be hosted at Karapiro unless Auckland Council can get the mythical Manakau Water Park built. Hamilton can host some events but really it's an Auckland only bid. I remember a decade ago the discussion of the proposed 2014 Canadian "York Region" bid, a similar idea. Wellington sort of had the same, with cycling up in Wanaganui. (back then cycling was in a dull patch)

New Zealand is showing positive signs of preparing for a 2019 bid for 26. This is the first real serious talk by the NZ govt on a Commies since 1998...and it will most likely be Auckland with Christchurch an outside runner. The bid will been seen as what 1974 was - A "national" bid.

The fizzled out 2018 bid did fall over on the fact that Auckland simply wouldn't have been able to cope with pushing through heavy infrastructure development that is now chugging along. It didn't help that Christchurch got leveled the same year as the bid was due.

Also it really wasn't that sound a bid, and focussed on rebuilding North Habour Stadium and Waitakere Stadium.

Personally my heart says Christchurch, but my common sense says Auckland.

Plenty of cities that will be keen on hosting into the future as it seems to have gone really well in Scotland.

As has been mentioned earlier, I can see the likelihood of two safe games in a row being held before a punt is taken on a risky host. Until 2050 it could go along the lines of:

2022: Durban, South Africa

2026: Cardiff, Wales

2030: Hamilton, Canada

2034: Singapore, Singapore

2038: Christchurch, New Zealand

2042: Adelaide, Australia

2046: Cape Town, South Africa

2050: Edmonton, Canada

Four venues that would host for the first time, four getting it for a second time. I'd imagine that the Comm games are safe for awhile yet. Also think of some other places like Port of Spain in Trinidad & Tobago, Belfast Northern Ireland, Mumbai India. Reckon they could all pull off hosting the event if they wished. Even Nairobi in Kenya, although safety would be something that would be a consideration there.

Why do people make those stupid lists? Nobody has expressed interest in 2030, 2034, 2038... heck, who knows if the CWG will be around in 2046? Can we at least wait until 2030 was awarded until we start speculating about 2038? Arguably speculating about anything but 2022 and MAYBE 2026 is pure bullshit.

• Like 2

Yeah I pretty much stopped with the wish lists a few years ago and only have interest in 22 and 26 as NZ hosts the CGF conference next year that decides the fate of 22 and NZ has expressed interest in 26, showing just how long the lead in time for hosting is needed now. 2030? Who really knows?

• 3 months later...

I hesitate to post this. We all know who's going to go all excited and spam about it for years to come as "proof" that London will host the CWGs (even though it does't mean anything except one mayoral candidate's suggesting it). But:

Prospective candidate for London Mayor wants 2026 Commonwealth Games bid

A prospective candidate in the 2016 London Mayoral election plans to include a bid by the city for the 2026 Commonwealth Games in his election manifesto.

Derek Wyatt, a former Labour MP and England rugby international, will also advocate that the United Kingdom capital enter the race for Expo 2025 - a move that could set up a repeat of the epic 2012 Olympic match-up with Paris.

Wyatt, 64, also wants to see a sporting equivalent of the Royal Society, the UK's academy of sciences, established in London.

While the UK capital replaced Johannesburg as host of the British Empire Games in 1934, it has never hosted a Commonwealth Games; it hosted the original Great Exhibition in Hyde Park in 1851 and another world exposition in 1862, but has not featured since.

"London has never had the Commonwealth Games," Wyatt, an MP from 1997 until 2010, told insidethegames.

"It has all the facilities.

"It would be the most popular Commonwealth Games ever."

He went on: "British sport has shown what it can do with the Commonwealth Games in Manchester and Glasgow, and the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics.

"The country is also hosting a large number of high-profile international single-sport events, such as next year's Rugby World Cup.

"It is high time sport was accorded the same sort of status in Britain as that deservedly enjoyed by science and the arts.

"I think the foundation of a sporting equivalent of the Royal Society would help to achieve this."

On the idea of an Expo bid, Wyatt said: "We created Expo with the Great Exhibition of 1851.

"It has been a long time.

"In this internet age, we could spread the exposition around different boroughs – especially the poorer ones."

The next Mayoral election is set for May 2016; the present incumbent, Boris Johnson, is standing as a Conservative candidate in next year's General Election and is not expected to run.

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls last month signalled French Government backing for a Paris bid for Expo 2025, in a move interpreted initially as making a 2024 Olympic and Paralympic bid by the city less likely.

Sports leaders have since been at pains to dispel this impression.

They received a big boost last week when François Hollande, the French President, told French TV he was in favour of a Paris Olympic bid "if the city decides to make one".

Insidethegames

I still rather London NOT host the Comm Games- and let it shine in smaller cities like Birmingham, Cardiff, Belfast etc...

Belfast would be a fantastic place for the CwG - quite a number of great venues, with a few upgrades, plus a lot of waterfront land around the Titanic Quarter.

I think it is slightly galling to see London even remotely consider a 2025 Expo bid - I shudder to think how the French would digest that confrontation.

• Like 1

Belfast would be a fantastic place for the CwG - quite a number of great venues, with a few upgrades, plus a lot of waterfront land around the Titanic Quarter.I think it is slightly galling to see London even remotely consider a 2025 Expo bid - I shudder to think how the French would digest that confrontation.

I do warm to the idea of Belfast hosting in future...But only if there is a future for the CWGs. By then there will be a new King and all new ideas that will go with what will be a modernization of the institution...

As for London a future host, well if Edmonton gets 2022, which is looking likely, then a centennial games is likely but expect a small queue to bid for it, including another Asian and Australian city...Not to mention other English cities.

Belfast would be a fantastic place for the CwG - quite a number of great venues, with a few upgrades, plus a lot of waterfront land around the Titanic Quarter.

I think it is slightly galling to see London even remotely consider a 2025 Expo bid - I shudder to think how the French would digest that confrontation.

Well locals hate the idea of George Best Belfast City Airport undergoing any significant expansion and does a city of that size really need 2 airports? With the noise pollution coming out of that area, the airport could be better off closed. Which would lead to prime land just waiting to be used as a Commonwealth Games sports park, residential complex and the main media centre being used as office space post CWG.

If Belfast does need another airport, just develop one elsewhere.

The old Maze Prison site, the old RAF base, was mooted as a possible redevelopment into a sports precinct. But I wonder if there is too much recent history to allow for it...could be dedicated as a memorial site at the same time.

We're about to enter the 100 years anniversary season of Ireland's rather bloody divorce from the UK and it's eventual dissection, I fear the regurgitation of the past could go either way...And bid season places it's self right in the middle of the darkest moments.