2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

Now you are being an idiot hear yes there is an Perth in Ontario Perth is the capital of the superpower state of Australia.

GCL, you really don't know when you are being wound up do you?

Very well, then. We shall compare your city instead:

Global-City-Brand-Baromet-013.jpg?guni=A The world cities with the most Powerful brands

(Source: http://www.theguardian.com/cities/datablog/2014/may/06/world-cities-most-powerful-brands-get-the-data)

That's off Topic and inaccurate.

That's off Topic and inaccurate.

No Tony!

This is where you trip up with your blunt, short replies.

What woohoitsme was showing to GCL is Perth's relevance in the global scale of things ie not being represented at all...after GCL strongly insisted that Perth and WA were major economic players globally and well known.

The graph is relevant as it shows not that many Commonwealth cities that could host the CWGs are shown, yet they do. Perth could host the CWGs, but GCL was inplying on another thread Perth's ability to host an Olympics.

No Tony!

This is where you trip up with your blunt, short replies.

What woohoitsme was showing to GCL is Perth's relevance in the global scale of things ie not being represented at all...after GCL strongly insisted that Perth and WA were major economic players globally and well known.

The graph is relevant as it shows not that many Commonwealth cities that could host the CWGs are shown, yet they do. Perth could host the CWGs, but GCL was inplying on another thread Perth's ability to host an Olympics.

Fair enough. I agree, GCL's claims are false. Sydney is the main City of Australia. Canberra is the Capital of Australia and Melbourne is a Major Australian City, Perth isn't.

• Like 1

Fair enough. I agree, GCL's claims are false. Sydney is the main City of Australia. Canberra is the Capital of Australia and Melbourne is a Major Australian City, Perth isn't.

Perth is, as it's a state capital and does have a sizable population relative to the national population. It is city number 4 in size...and giving Brisbane are run for it's money for number 3.

Second tier cities would be Adelaide, Carins, Newcastle and Darwin, Gold Coast would be in this group as well. And could host a CWGs.

• 1 month later...

Gotta feeling they have felt jilted to see GC jump out and grab 2018 so easily? Adelaide would've been my preferred host after Melbourne, and I think most here would've thought so as well.

Gotta feeling they have felt jilted to see GC jump out and grab 2018 so easily? Adelaide would've been my preferred host after Melbourne, and I think most here would've thought so as well.

I have no sympathy. After Melbourne hosted 2006 and Perth and the Gold Coast announced designs for 2018, many expected Adelaide to put forward a bid for 2018. Not only did they decline, but also did it without grace- on two separate occasions senior SA government ministers labelled it a b-grade event that Adelaide was 'above'. Sucks for then, they could be hosting in 2018.

For a city to be 'planning ahead' 16 years for the CWG reeks of desperation.

THE Commonwealth Games is a "B-grade sporting event" which the State Government will not be bidding for, Acting Premier Kevin Foley confirmed today.

State Sport Minister Michael Wright did not rule out an SA bid earlier this week, in response to Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith's commitment to a bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games if the Liberals were elected in 2010.

But Mr Foley forcefully ruled out any bid today.

"This Government will not be bidding for the 2018 Commonwealth Games," Mr Foley told an SA Great lunch at the Hyatt.

"The main reason is that we have got a critical need for infrastructure in this state over the next decade or two.

"There is a lot better ways to spend $2 billion than on on a bunch of sporting stadiums that will offer us a B-grade sporting event for 10 days, when Australia can beat itself in the swimming pool.

• Like 1

B grade or not, that's a very forceful way of making a point that is absolutely spot on. The Commonwealth Games are not an event that a London or a Melbourne should really be hosting. Rather, they should be a vehicle, if desired, for a Manchester or a Glasgow or an Adelaide to make their mark in a manageable way.

At that time Foley was correct. CWGs even if we want them for the secondary cities to host, are still a luxury item that needs justified resons to go after. We had pretty much the same response from Central government here in NZ over Auckland 2018, although not in such a harsh statement. There were still jitters at the time over the on going GFC recession and all governments were closing wallets on big spend items that didn't include infrastructure development.

Of course now the most prudent spending nations have sailed through the storm a come out with a reasonable amount of future planning and we are starting to see money passing over to one off luxury items again.

I would support the idea of these Games coming to London, England.

:) you just can't beat the Tony random statements!

If anything, 2030 is a near bet now that Edmonton is THE serious contender for 2022. There is still no firmed up plans from Durban and London would be the logical choice for the CWGs centenary.

If anything, 2030 is a near bet now that Edmonton is THE serious contender for 2022. There is still no firmed up plans from Durban and London would be the logical choice for the CWGs centenary.

That could work I suppose.

There's no news that Durban's dropped out either, while we do know they've participated in CGF briefings and workshops. I expect we'll be hearing more over the next few weeks about the race with the games on. Until any news to the contrary, Durban would still IMO be the slam dunk bid. And I would have thought Canada (Hamilton/Toronto?) would have had stronger claims to the centenary.

There's no news that Durban's dropped out either, while we do know they've participated in CGF briefings and workshops. I expect we'll be hearing more over the next few weeks about the race with the games on. Until any news to the contrary, Durban would still IMO be the slam dunk bid. And I would have thought Canada (Hamilton/Toronto?) would have had stronger claims to the centenary.

2026 could be a chance for England or Wales to have a turn...A new Monarch by then or if she is still chugging along, a 100 year old Queen!

Problem with the Commonwealth is an ever so slightly foggy future, and it's potential future CWGs hosts could be left with a herring? Unlike the Olympics as unwealdy they are, Canada more interested in those? :huh:

Still, gotta get passed Auckland next year to see. I hope for the best this comming week, Glasgow really needs to pull off an outstanding games on par with 2012 in everything (in CWGs size of course).

The let down of 2010 needs to be expunged :)

It could go like this Edmonton Canada 2022 - Singapore 2026 - London England 2030

• Like 1