2026 Commonwealth Games: Where?

With South Africa and Canada the only countries fronting up with yet another two horse race, lets look to see who will hit the deadline for 2026 in 2018...

My long range telescope picks out:

Singapore

Cardiff

London

Sheffield

...a Canadian city

...possibly an Australian city maybe Perth.

Very much will be northern hemisphere turn for the games if SA does succeed with Durban.

Singapore would be my guess if they showed some inclination but a Canadian bid may go for 2030 head to head with London. Cardiff has also made intentions to give Wales a turn.

I doubt my home country, NZ, will front with the intention of pushing forward with Christchurch. That will happen in the 30s.

Obviously, I would like to see the Commonwealth Games come to London, as a Legacy for London 2012. IF London doesn't Bid, I would support a Singapore Bid, but only IF London doesn't Bid.

• Like 1

I thought London would've thrown their lot in with 2022, but there must have been back channel communication with Durban especially after the CGF announced Africa would be favored over all other contenders.

I dunno about 2026, me thinks London may go for the Centennial games. A new King and a new era.

I thought London would've thrown their lot in with 2022, but there must have been back channel communication with Durban especially after the CGF announced Africa would be favored over all other contenders.

I dunno about 2026, me thinks London may go for the Centennial games. A new King and a new era.

Sorry for off topic, Alex I need to talk to you in private. Can you let me send you PM's, it says I can't send you messages, so could you maybe inbox me? Anyway, I would love a Commonwealth Games to come here. We have the facilities in place.

As I said in the 2022 thread, the mayor was concered about security costs and whether there would be enough benefit. I think this was purely an internal decision by the Mayor's Office to be honest.

However, 2026 could be possible. Tessa Jowell (Olympics Minister for much of the build up to 2012) could very well be London Mayor from 2016 onwards. She was an evangelist for the 2012 bid in its early stages when most of the rest of the government was sceptical, and I could certainly see her pushing London towards a bid for 2026.

Tessa Jowell to step down as MP fuelling London Mayor ambition rumours:

http://www.london24.com/news/politics/tessa_jowell_to_step_down_as_mp_fuelling_london_mayor_ambition_rumours_1_3030754

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

I doubt it, the CCWG and the COC were caught off-guard by Durban's bid.

• Like 1

I doubt it, the CCWG and the COC were caught off-guard by Durban's bid.

Isn't that what they wanted?

London would make a great host for 26, but Singapore would be a great venue. Canada still has an Olympic parallel going for it. There is still hope of a Toronto bid in the 20s as well. Toronto is a plumb city that has never fronted for a CWGs hosting, some reason Canada has let it go to the western side of the country.

I see Edmonton Canada hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games the CWG will want to make it to Canada after up the Delhi India 2010 did an crappy job on the games and the IOC may want to have 2 clean Commonwealth Games before going back to the developing world. If Singapore makes an bid for the 2026 games the fed will most likely going Singapore a nice new develop place then the Centennial games in London and if Durban fails the 2022 and 2026 bids then South Africa will have to try for a new city like Cape Town and Cape Town South Africa host the 2034 Commonwealth Games then back to Australia in 2038 in either Perth or Sydney.

I see Edmonton Canada hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games the CWG will want to make it to Canada after up the Delhi India 2010 did an crappy job on the games and the IOC may want to have 2 clean Commonwealth Games before going back to the developing world. If Singapore makes an bid for the 2026 games the fed will most likely going Singapore a nice new develop place then the Centennial games in London and if Durban fails the 2022 and 2026 bids then South Africa will have to try for a new city like Cape Town and Cape Town South Africa host the 2034 Commonwealth Games then back to Australia in 2038 in either Perth or Sydney.

So Glasgow/Gold Coast isn't two "clean" games?

• Like 1

Huh? 2014/18 are two stable games in row...So South Africa hosting 22 opens the door for London v Canada v Singapore in 2026...I certainly would never call Singapore a "developing" country, it's a first world nation. Edmonton feels like it's on the back foot already for 22, but holding out another four years we may finally see an eastern Canadian city front...Could Halifax finally front or could we see the ultimate Canadian plum, Toronto, front up?

Huh? 2014/18 are two stable games in row...So South Africa hosting 22 opens the door for London v Canada v Singapore in 2026...I certainly would never call Singapore a "developing" country, it's a first world nation. Edmonton feels like it's on the back foot already for 22, but holding out another four years we may finally see an eastern Canadian city front...Could Halifax finally front or could we see the ultimate Canadian plum, Toronto, front up?

I can't see Toronto being interested in the Commonwealth Games. Toronto will be too focused on a Summer Olympic and Paralympic Bid for 2028 or 2032.

Not with the current clowns on city council. Unless you have everything paid for (and thus the city's cost is $0). then only will they choose to bid.

• 5 weeks later...

With South Africa and Canada the only countries fronting up with yet another two horse race, lets look to see who will hit the deadline for 2026 in 2018...

My long range telescope picks out:

Singapore

Cardiff

London

Sheffield

...a Canadian city

...possibly an Australian city maybe Perth.

Very much will be northern hemisphere turn for the games if SA does succeed with Durban.

Singapore would be my guess if they showed some inclination but a Canadian bid may go for 2030 head to head with London. Cardiff has also made intentions to give Wales a turn.

I doubt my home country, NZ, will front with the intention of pushing forward with Christchurch. That will happen in the 30s.

Sheffield has probably ruled itself out by demolishing the Don Valley Stadium, which would undoubtedly have been the main stadium of a Commonwealth Games bid. Whether they do something with the Woodbourn Road stadium, which has a running track but very little seating, remains to be seen, but the council's attitude thus far suggests they're not interested.

I can see these Cities Bidding for the 2026 Commonwealth Games:

London, England.

Cardiff, Wales.

Singapore, Singapore.

Hambantota, Sri Lanka.

Auckland, New Zealand.

Edmonton, Canada. (As I think Durban, South Africa will Host the 2022 Commonwealth Games, so I think Edmonton, Canada will Re-Bid).

If there is a Candidate City Phase, I think these Cities will make it onto the Shortlist:

London, England.

Singapore, Singapore.

Edmonton, Canada.

Sheffield has probably ruled itself out by demolishing the Don Valley Stadium, which would undoubtedly have been the main stadium of a Commonwealth Games bid. Whether they do something with the Woodbourn Road stadium, which has a running track but very little seating, remains to be seen, but the council's attitude thus far suggests they're not interested.

A shame really, Sheffield did toy with the idea many years ago. As all hopes for the CWGs hang on Glasgow in a couple of months, here's hoping the new formular in venue hosting sees a more manageable event.

The concern I have about the future of the Commonwealths is that we've been here before when Manchester provided a manageable, sustainable model with their hosting in 2002. Subsequent hosts went for the grandiose (Melbourne could easily pull it off in fairness), and now Glasgow is having to get the movement back to a sustainable footing. I hope for the best, but past experience does not give me much hope.

As for Sheffield, I've either lived in or visited that city for the past 13 years (I was there just the other day for the World Snooker) and I'm in no doubt that it could handle a Commonwealth Games if the political will is there to do so. While I'm in no doubt that the decision to knock down the Don Valley Stadium was made rather easier by the lack of a regular tenant after Rotherham United Football Club moved into its own new venue, I'm equally convinced it is a legacy of the financial hangover left by the 1991 World Student Games which it was built for.

At this point I think it's going to become a cycle of Australia hosting every third or fourth Games. They seem the most keen and able to find a viable city to host easily.

It seems to me like Australia has cities lining up to host.

• Like 1

The concern I have about the future of the Commonwealths is that we've been here before when Manchester provided a manageable, sustainable model with their hosting in 2002. Subsequent hosts went for the grandiose (Melbourne could easily pull it off in fairness), and now Glasgow is having to get the movement back to a sustainable footing. I hope for the best, but past experience does not give me much hope.

As for Sheffield, I've either lived in or visited that city for the past 13 years (I was there just the other day for the World Snooker) and I'm in no doubt that it could handle a Commonwealth Games if the political will is there to do so. While I'm in no doubt that the decision to knock down the Don Valley Stadium was made rather easier by the lack of a regular tenant after Rotherham United Football Club moved into its own new venue, I'm equally convinced it is a legacy of the financial hangover left by the 1991 World Student Games which it was built for.

Just been watching the World Snooker champs on SommetSport, pretty good...Agree, it's all about the willingness to spend thd money which, naturally, gets the locals wound up. It's amazing an event which would be 35 years hence would hang over the city. Definitely time to move on...I liked the place when I visited many years ago chasing my family name's origin.

At this point I think it's going to become a cycle of Australia hosting every third or fourth Games. They seem the most keen and able to find a viable city to host easily.

It seems to me like Australia has cities lining up to host.

I don't think anyone would complain if an Australian city showed up in a bunch...A safe pair of hands and reliable cities with some due for a second helping while some must be taken aback at GCs cheeky but successful bid for 2018 and would want to get their names checked off. Edited by Alexjc

That could well happen. On the obverse side, though, I'd posit that Australia has hosted often enough that if we went into a contested bid (as long as the competition was made of better stuff than the likes of Hambantota), we'd be handicapped. If Abuja had decided to go up again against GC for 2018, for example, I reckon Abuja could have won. It would have been looking a bit dire for them now, granted, but at the time they probably let their best chance slip through their fingers.

Edited by Sir Rols

Ok. Commonwealth Cities I believe can Host the Modern Day Commonwealth Games smoothly, with low costs:

London, England. (Have all Venues in place, from the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics).

Manchester, England. (Have most Venues from the 2002 Commonwealth Games, would probably need some Renovations).

Glasgow, Scotland. (Have Venues ready for the 2014 Commonwealth Games).

Melbourne, Australia. (Have Venues from the 2006 Commonwealth Games).

Gold Coast, Australia. (Will have Venues ready for the 2018 Commonwealth Games).

Singapore, Singapore. (Have a Sports Complex).

Durban, South Africa. (Bidding for the 2022 Commonwealth Games).

Cape Town, South Africa. (Could Bid for Future Games if the unlikely happens and Durban loses against Edmonton).

Edmonton, Canada. (Bidding for the 2022 Commonwealth Games).

Delhi, India (As they have all Venues in place from 2010, Preparations would run smoothly IMO).

Hambantota, Sri Lanka (As they will have most Venues in place for Future Bidding).

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (Have Venues from the 1998 Commonwealth Games, probably some needing Renovations).

Abuja, Nigeria (As they have a Sports Complex and would surely be ready for Future Commonwealth Games).

Example:

Durban 2022.

London 2026.

Singapore 2030.

Abuja 2034.

London 2038.

Hambantota 2042.

Cape Town 2046.

London 2050.

Delhi 2054.

Glasgow 2058.

Example:

Durban 2022.

London 2026.

Singapore 2030.

Abuja 2034.

London 2038.

Hambantota 2042.

Cape Town 2046.

London 2050.

Delhi 2054.

Glasgow 2058.

London will not host three times in such a small period of time. Delhi will never get it again after what happened in 2010. Hambantota, no way. No Australia or Canada or New Zealand? Are you insane? Good luck to Singapore against Canada for the Centennial in 2030.

There is so much wrong with this list it's insane.

Edited by ofan97