Russia's Zhukov Chosen to Chair 2022 Olympic Winter Games Bid Evaluation Commission

GBModerator

Why would Putin wanna have his Sochi 2014 "legacy" so short-lived by having another former Soviet-bloc be hosting so quickly thereafter. I think I'd tend to agree with the assertion that this could boost the Chinese since they scratched Putin's back for his big party planning in the bidding stages.

• Like 2

Yeah, but I am sure other IOC members are thinking like some of you guys here. So, it's NOT like Zhukov can steam-roll his way through the Evaluations. He probably can't even write a full sentence in English. What I'm saying is there will be some colleagues who won't let him get away with playing obvious favorites. I mean not all those IOC members are dumb. And the reports are composed in English and French which can have many nuances which may escape Zhukov. Any very obvious favoritism, especially in light of Putin pulling a 1-2 takeover so quickly after 2014, can backfire greatly on an obvious favorite of Zhukov.

Please, this is one of the teaching moments for you guys to lecture some of us… Is it common to appoint anyone from the last host country to lead any commission? Or why did the IOC choose him, above all when 4 of the 5 bidding cities have a certain tie with Russia. In that case, I see Almaty and Beijing getting high grades to be boosted and continue Sochi's path.

Please, this is one of the teaching moments for you guys to lecture some of us Is it common to appoint anyone from the last host country to lead any commission? Or why did the IOC choose him, above all when 4 of the 5 bidding cities have a certain tie with Russia. In that case, I see Almaty and Beijing getting high grades to be boosted and continue Sochi's path.

UK's Sir Craig Reedie chaired 2020 EC after London 2012.

Jens Weinreich, German journalist highly critical of the IOC, speculates on Twitter this might actually help Almaty as there could be deals between Putin and Nazarbayev.

Not the most far-fetched speculation, I'd say.

What Russia gets from its military and diplomatic friendship with China far outweighs anything they get from Kazakhstan. Especially with Putin pursuing an antagonistic policy in Europe.

• Like 1

What Russia gets from its military and diplomatic friendship with China far outweighs anything they get from Kazakhstan. Especially with Putin pursuing an antagonistic policy in Europe.

China uses Russia because it has no better option. There is no closeness. I would actually say that China has no close diplomatic relations with any country beyond loyalty (like North Korea) or usefulness (Russia, USA etc).

I am more surprised by this appointment because Zhukov is a very green IOC member. And the optics are not great.

China uses Russia because it has no better option. There is no closeness. I would actually say that China has no close diplomatic relations with any country beyond loyalty (like North Korea) or usefulness (Russia, USA etc).

China and Russia have strategic military agreements, sharing of military technology and a mutual understanding that they will support each other diplomatically against the west. China is a great power and member of the UN security council. Kazakhstan is not. Assuming Zhukov really is a close confederate of Putin, I would be stunned if Putin chose to screw over his Chinese allies in favor of the Kazakhs.

That doesn't mean this guarantees the Chinese will win the bid, of course. I have no idea how much influence Zhukov will have over the process behind the scenes.

China and Russia have strategic military agreements, sharing of military technology and a mutual understanding that they will support each other diplomatically against the west. China is a great power and member of the UN security council. Kazakhstan is not. Assuming Zhukov really is a close confederate of Putin, I would be stunned if Putin chose to screw over his Chinese allies in favor of the Kazakhs.

That doesn't mean this guarantees the Chinese will win the bid, of course. I have no idea how much influence Zhukov will have over the process behind the scenes.

2022 will NOT go to China. What? 3 Asian Olympics in a row? And Beijing was only like 6 years ago. Beijing 2022 NOT happening.