I don't think Durban's in this race. It's the Games a year before the decision, but they're not promoting, not releasing, not getting their message out. They don't even have a logo (a trivial thing I know but Edmonton's got one, & it makes them look serious). Edmonton's also in Glasgow & releasing a video. It gives the impression of a one-horse race for now.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The sky is blue sometimes and water is wet!

I have an idea. Why doesn't everyone just report Tony's stupid posts (the majority of his posts are stupid) and then with so many people reporting he should get permanently banned and we no longer hav

Well, Durban did present in Glasgow, and did have a video as well.

I don't think it's that they're not campaigning, but more taking a far different tack than Edders - more one-to-one lobbying rather than promotion, which if course doesn't give us much to talk about.
They really should still have this one, as long as the Government eventually gives a firm public backing. Who knows if that's really in doubt or not - I'd suspect it will be forthcoming, but it can't be taken for granted till it happens.

Edited by Tunku Rols
  • 3 weeks later...

A not that interesting snippet, but it dos have some relevancy for the CWGs (and future Oly) bids:

KwaZulu-Natal hospitality industry in the dark over new levy

A NEW 10% “hospitality levy” to be introduced in KwaZulu-Natal from next year has caught many in the industry by surprise, amid a lack of clarity over how it will be effected and collected.

The levy is meant to help fund the province’s efforts to secure bids for hosting international events and conferences. It was announced by KwaZulu-Natal MEC for Economic Development and Tourism Mike Mabuyakhulu during his budget speech in the legislature on Friday.

However, he did not give details over how the levy would be calculated or collected. Consultations were still to take place with stakeholders, he said.

The levy is to be effective from April 1 next year, and is coming as the city of Durban is bidding for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

“We will be shortly engaging the tourism think tanks and all industry players before the end of the month of September 2014,” he said.

‘Big shock’

The Democratic Alliance’s provincial spokeswoman on economic development, Ann McDonnell, said on Sunday the proposal was a “big shock” that “caught us by surprise because this matter had not been discussed before.

“The MEC doesn’t say what is the thinking behind this levy and how it will be collected. Will it be collected by the local tourism authorities or by the provincial government?”Mr Mabuyakhulu said the provincial government and its various municipalities were footing the bill for the bidding of large events yet private operators in the industry benefited from tourists’ spending.

KwaZulu-Natal had decided on the levy after studying cities like Glasgow, Vienna, Sydney, Barcelona, Singapore, Toronto and San Francisco which have funds to bid for and support large events.

“We are mainly funding our bid initiatives through allocations shared between the province and municipalities and, mostly, eThekwini municipality. However, based on our analysis of the above-mentioned case studies, the public-private sector partnership applied in these destinations includes the establishment of a hospitality levy,” said Mr Mabuyakhulu.

In those countries, such a levy combined direct contributions by industry players as well as a service fee charged onto specified services.

Concerns

KwaZulu-Natal Bed and Breakfast Association chairwoman Heather Hunter said the proposed levy “is a concern because we don’t know” what it entailed.

Federated Hospitality Association of SA East Coast region spokesman Charles Preece said : “It is difficult to comment now because we don’t know what this levy is all about. But the MEC said he will be meeting with stakeholders and we hope that he will be able to explain to us.”

eThekwini municipality economic development and tourism head Philip Sithole said the levy and bid fund were a good idea that would ensure win-win partnership between government and the private sector, and for local destinations to be marketed well.

BDLive

• 1 month later...

Nothing really new - just the same old same old. And still nothing concrete in the way of Government backing. I guess they haven't thrown in the towel, but i still think they REALLY have to up their game. It's a bid based on vapour and platitudes.

South African Government is "engaged" in Durban bid for 2022 Commonwealth Games

South Africa's Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula has claimed that hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2022 would be a major stepping-stone to one day staging the Olympics.

Durban has launched a bid for the Commonwealth Games but Mbalula revealed the South African Government have their sights set much higher.

"The world is looking at South Africa to be the first on the continent to host the Games...even the Olympics," he told a meeting of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC).

"The question is when?

"Yes it's expensive but we need to think just what legacy Games of this magnitude leave for SA.

"Otherwise, how do we sell this country to the world?
"Nelson Mandela is no longer here now but soccer's 2010 FIFA World Cup was a huge boost, just as the Rugby World Cup and Cricket World Cup."
Durban are one of two bidders for the Commonwealth Games, along with Canadian city Edmonton, but has so far revealed few details about their campaign, although it is known that the Moses Mabhida Stadium, built for the FIFA World Cup, will be the centrepiece.

But Mbalula has reassured SASCOC officials that the Government are fully behind it.

"As a Government we've embarked on the process of the 2022 Commonwealth bid," he said.

"It's good for athletes and their own confidence but lets remember that the hosting of Commonwealth Games is a precursor to the Olympic Games.

"They are in tandem.

"We have engaged all and are ready to take serious steps in Government to put in a solid bid to make sure these Games come to the African continent.

"I can tell you now the progress of engagement is well underway.

"Let us unite in these campaigns and tell the story of this great nation."

The decision on which city will host the 2022 Commonwealth Games is due to be taken by the Commonwealth Games Federation at its General Assembly in Auckland on September 2, 2015.

It's still a year away. I can see why RSA isn't exactly rushing out with their plans. They're probably still deciding on either a 2022-2024 run or if they waited for 2028, the timing of the O bid would be off a year for 2021. So one isn't exactly a surefire feed into the other. I think they're still waiting for the experts' and consultants' input on how to proceed.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • 2 weeks later...

BRICS countries to cooperate in bidding for major sports events

Xinhua, October 9, 2014

South Africa will host the 4th annual Sports and Events Tourism Exchange (SETE) in Durban later this month for BRICS countries to discuss how they can help each other in bidding to host major sports events, it was announced on Wednesday.

This will be the first time for the event to focus on the role of BRICS in helping each other to bid for major events, said Rene Staack, General Manager of Thebe Reed Exhibitions, who is organizing the event.

The event, scheduled for October 28-30, is meant to share experiences and ideas among BRICS countries, Staack told Xinhua.

"SETE is a unique platform created to ensure greater collaboration between the sports and tourism industries. This is the first and only event of its kind globally," he said.

"We believe that it is important for the BRICS forum to deal with this issue especially since many of the BRICS countries have either hosted or will be hosting major sports events in the future. The debate will be aimed at understanding the support that BRICS countries should provide each other to share knowledge and also support each other when bidding for international events," the official said.

He said that in future it would be necessary for such meetings to be held in each BRICS country.

BRICS is the acronym for the major emerging economies, namely Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.

"The BRICS Business Forum is an important forum for emerging economies and South Africa is a key player. Currently sports and tourism do not feature on the BRICS agenda. One of the outcomes of the discussion is the need for the Department of International Relations and Cooperation to lobby our representatives in the BRICS Business Forum to prioritize sports tourism," said Staack.

He also stated that the African continent also needs to be lobbied to support each other's bids for international events.

Durban, the hosting city, would use the event to gain support for the 2022 Commonwealth Games bid.

There will be speakers from Glasgow and Melbourne Commonwealth Games Associations to share their experiences.

Participants will also discuss sponsorship trends, the role of the media in the promotion of SETE and the way to form partnerships with the media.

There will be various panels' discussions involving experts from banks, universities, sports clubs and tourism industry, according to Staack.

http://en.chinagate.cn/2014-10/09/content_33706569.htm

BRICS countries to cooperate in bidding for major sports events

Durban, the hosting city, would use the event to gain support for the 2022 Commonwealth Games bid.

There will be speakers from Glasgow and Melbourne Commonwealth Games Associations to share their experiences.

What? NO ONE from Delhi 2010, Crime...errr, Sochi 2014 or Russia 2018???? :blink:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

SASCOC: SA behind on Commonwealth Games bid

CAPE TOWN – The South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (Sascoc) says government's slow approach to approving a bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games could cost them.

Durban is up against Edmonton in Canada for the right to host the games.

Sascoc President Gideon Sam addressed Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Sport and Recreation on the matter this afternoon.

Sam warned South Africa's bid lags behind Canada's, mainly because Cabinet has yet to approve it.

Durban and Edmonton are the only two cities vying to host the quadrennial games.

Sam said the Canadian government's approval of their bid has given Edmonton a head start.

He said the North American city has already revealed a games logo.

But Sam said he expects Cabinet to approve the bid before the end of the year.

Eyewitness News

The question to me is now, is are they now too far behind to make up the distance? I'm starting to think that it may well be too late to salvage it now. And I say that in disappointment.

Durban is still considered the Most likely Bidder to Host the 2022 Commonwealth Games. I wouldn't worry too much.

As Stefan said, considered by who? Most experienced observers of such races, and just about every article on the race, and now SASCOC itself, acknowledges that SA is looking shaky and is far behind. Honestly, it's no contest at the moment - Edmonton has this unless Durban can pull out something quick.

You should learn that hostings don't fit neatly into the nice little sequences that you conjure up in your mind.

Edited by Sir Rols

This has been disappointing from South Africa.

Personally I think they are blinded by the Olympic dream. Nothing wrong in that, but they needed to have made up their minds a year go. What it has done is other nations would've bid but were put off by the "Africa preferred" criteria the CGF stupidly stipulated.

If anything, this was the free pass to SA to get its stuff together...From 2026 onward, if they still exist, SA can just join the queue like everyone else in hosting the CWGs.

Edited by Alexjc

I still don't see this putting off the Commonwealth Games Federation from choosing Durban to Host the 2022 Commonwealth Games. They have a Main Stadium and would be the First African Host City of the Commonwealth Games.

I still don't see this putting off the Commonwealth Games Federation from choosing Durban to Host the 2022 Commonwealth Games. They have a Main Stadium and would be the First African Host City of the Commonwealth Games.

Edmonton also has a stadium.

• Like 3

But they don;t even have a real bid yet - all they have now is some desire by the NOC to go for it, and a Government not known at the best of times for quick decision making taking their sweet time to decide whether to back it not.

As everyone knows, I love a new frontier - but as of today, if I were a CGF member, I'd go with Edmonton. Would be great to see the Commonwealth Games back in one of its iconic 70s venues. There is something fitting about it in a narrative sense - the Olys are going back to Tokyo, so the CwG could return to one of its own retro hosts.

This could also work in Toronto's favour for an Olympic bid too - not that I know a huge amount about Canadian provincial political processes, but I could see an Edmonton CwG blocking a Calgary move on 2026 - thus opening up Toronto's case to "share the opportunity" across the country.

I imagine having both an Edmonton 2022 and Calgary 2026 would be a bit of an Alberta overdose.

As everyone knows, I love a new frontier - but as of today, if I were a CGF member, I'd go with Edmonton. Would be great to see the Commonwealth Games back in one of its iconic 70s venues. There is something fitting about it in a narrative sense - the Olys are going back to Tokyo, so the CwG could return to one of its own retro hosts.

This could also work in Toronto's favour for an Olympic bid too - not that I know a huge amount about Canadian provincial political processes, but I could see an Edmonton CwG blocking a Calgary move on 2026 - thus opening up Toronto's case to "share the opportunity" across the country.

I imagine having both an Edmonton 2022 and Calgary 2026 would be a bit of an Alberta overdose.

If Los Angeles USA host the 2024 Summer Games then it will be another at least 12 years for the Summer Games to return to North America then Calgary Canada would be great fit in for the 2026 Winter Games, Yes I will be bit of an Alberta Overdoes but I think it will be the best Canada can do for the next decade if the USA get;s the 2024 Summer Games.

I think the IOC will be pushing Calgary Canada to make an bid for the 2026 Winter Games to restore the faith in the Winter Games movement then the IOC could go to the USA in 2030 for an back to back winter games if Europe is scared off again with the Beijing China 2022 Winter Games by the time Calgary host in 2026 it will bring back the interest for Europe for the 2034 Winter Games.

The Commonwealth Games of 2022 it will be going to Edmonton Canada, Durban will be another Delhi 2010 and by the lack of communications on the Durban team Edmonton Canada got this in the bag, Singapore will be likely to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games South Africa has blew it for the Commonwealth Games I don;t see them hosting the Commonwealth Games nor Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games any time soon in the next 50 years for the SOPG and 30 years for the Commonwealth Games.

Edmonton also has a stadium.

Wouldn't the Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton need a Renovation? Durban's Stadium doesn't need a Renovation.