Auckland has announced it's self out of bidding for an emergency hosting of the CWGs in 2022. (Should it need to come to that...)

Mayor Phil Goff has said there simply is no chance as Auckland is in the middle of a massive infrastructure building project (involving roads, rail, and new airport terminal among others) already costing billions and no room for hurriedly installing facilities.

:( Sorry guys...New Zealand tapping out.

Edited by Alexjc

17 hours ago, Rob. said:

Liverpool wants to step in!

"Liverpool is interested in hosting the games in 2022.

"We had heard rumours that Durban might be unable to deliver the Commonwealth Games in 2022 and have already indicated to the Government that we are very willing to host them instead."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-39118266

16 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

So, what's the odds on Sir Paul McCartney and Lulu for the OC?

Well....I've just heard a very confused radio interview posted on another forum from Liverpool's Mayor Joe Anderson.

When asked about the athletics stadium he bluffs his way through the question telling us that Celtic Park was used in 2014 with a temporary platform so maybe they could do similar with Anfield. :blink:

Maybe someone should tell him it was the ovular Hampden Park that was used, not Celtic Park, and that converting the small-footprint, rectangular Anfield would be logistically impossible.

The other option, which could work, would be to use Everton's proposed new stadium somehow. Or else a small athletics facility elsewhere. But the fact he's musing about Anfield suggests he's not given this much thought. Hopefully there are people working quietly behind the scenes with a better grasp of the logistics than him, but after hearing that interview I'm not convinced this announcement is anything more than a PR stunt.

Edited by Rob.

Given my fairly sporadic appearances here these days, I've only become aware of the problems with Durban in the past 24 hours or so. It will be hugely disappointing if the CGF does decide to go elsewhere, but probably easier for them to do so in a situation of an effective coronation rather than with the winner of a bidding process, such as Glasgow. The bigger, and I fear more fundamental, question for the CGF is why things have come to this point. Is it simply a South African issue, or is it a wider problem with the Commonwealth Games as a whole? I fear it is the latter and, if it is, I don't know how you resolve it.

I'm not surprised that Liverpool appears to be throwing its hat in the ring as an alternative, particularly given how keen Joe Anderson was to go for 2026. But, given its geographical proximity to Manchester, I think there has to be a question over the extent to which any bid would be a genuine city proposal rather than a wider regional one. It's not simply a question of a main stadium, which would surely end up being a Manchester-type scenario with the athletics venue becoming a new home for Everton Football Club thereafter. It's also a matter of whether a case can be made for building a new aquatics centre, a velodrome and a hockey venue just to think of three. With Manchester so close, I think it would be a struggle to make that case.

Using Manchester velodrome wouldn't be the end of the world given that Glasgow used Edinburgh's pool. Hockey as we saw in London can be done with temporary stands. Surely a down-sizeable aquatics centre, perhaps next to the potential stadium on the docks is doable and would see good use after the Games.

The other point somebody brought up on another forum, is that the domestic football season will probably be running through the Summer in 2022 thanks to the Qatar World Cup. So Anfield and Goodison will probably be off the table as venues. That could be a real problem.

But as I said, from Anderson's radio interview, it didn't sound like a whole lot of thought had gone into anything.

Edited by Rob.

11 hours ago, arwebb said:

a question of a main stadium, which would surely end up being a Manchester-type scenario with the athletics venue becoming a new home for Everton Football Club thereafter.

Not necessarily; building temporary stands at the existing Athletics Centre and laying temporary hard surface for car parking at Wavertree Playground might do it.

:)

Well So Far So Good with a quick meeting between Durban 22, South African Govt and the CGF today seems to have held back doom for now. 

I'm thinking a bit more seriousness by Durban towards the magnitude of what they are hosting was what's needed. Also the SA Government does need to help...It's on a scale of the World Cup but with events concentrated on Durban.

17 hours ago, intoronto said:

The CGF is gonna have to go with what its offered. If that is 15,000 seats, so be it.

The current seating capacity at the Wavertree Athletics Centre is 480, anybody else just stands out in the rain, on the grass. Welcome to the real world of local-level athletics outside a limited number of universities.

Stick a fork in it...

Durban set to be stripped of 2022 Commonwealth Games after late rescue effort fails

A search to find a new city to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games is set to be launched here this weekend with Durban expected to be stripped of the event after a last-ditch attempt to save it failed.

The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) are set to reluctantly accept that the South African city will not be able to stage an event it was awarded in September 2015.

The CGF's ruling Executive Board will hear a presentation from President Louise Martin and chief executive David Grevemberg, who will admit that they have been unable to obtain the necessary financial guarantees from the South African Government.
An official decision on Durban is expected to be made towards the end of tomorrow, the first of two days of meetings due to take place at Quadrant House in London's Pall Mall.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1047938/durban-set-to-be-stripped-of-2022-commonwealth-games-after-late-rescue-effort-fails

1 hour ago, Alexjc said:

:o I thought L.A. 1984 was...

Atlanta was 2/3rds African-American in the 1990's, while Los Angeles was only 1/5th African-American.

It is worth noting that demographics have changed dramatically since the last Olympic games in the USA due to the massive waves of Mexican immigrants. English is now technically the minority language in Los Angeles. Since 1984 many African-Americans have left Los Angeles and moved to the American South, so the city is only about 1/10th African-American now.

11 hours ago, Nacre said:

Atlanta was 2/3rds African-American in the 1990's, while Los Angeles was only 1/5th African-American.

It is worth noting that demographics have changed dramatically since the last Olympic games in the USA due to the massive waves of Mexican immigrants. English is now technically the minority language in Los Angeles. Since 1984 many African-Americans have left Los Angeles and moved to the American South, so the city is only about 1/10th African-American now.

I thought you were exaggerating but holy crap you were not! So yes, Atlanta is definitely the closest thing to having a majority black city host. 

So now that Durban is unofficially out of the running for the 2028 and even 2032 Summer Olympics since they won't have that hosting a Commonwealth Games experience, it should make for everyone's predictions for those years more interesting. 

I thought it was widely known that Atlanta has a big black population. The Atlanta 1996 bid committee made it a big point to also sell themselves as a "progressive African-American city", as for one, to differentiate themselves from L.A. '84, & second, they also knew that the IOC was, back then, starting to get an appetite for an actual African Olympics when the time came about to finally obtain one.

The bid organizers even went out of their way to court African IOC voters (when bid visits by members were still allowed), to showcase how Atlanta is/was also home to one of the biggest civil right leaders in the U.S., MLK. It's probably one of the many factors that contributed to Atlanta 1996 to get over the finish line against Athens.

The irony of all that though, is that I don't recall too much African-American culture in the 1996 Opening Ceremonies (or anywhere else in the Centennial Games for that matter). It seemed more hickish, than anything else, especially with that obnoxious monster trucks segment at one point. That's probably one of the things why that aspect always gets lost when it comes to Atlanta 1996.

14 minutes ago, FYI said:

The irony of all that though, is that I don't recall too much African-American culture in the 1996 Opening Ceremonies (or anywhere else in the Centennial Games for that matter). 

They couldn't make it too obvious that 1996 would be too heavily African-American, but the "Welcome to the World" was quite A-A, esp. the youths in the orange jumpsuits.  Also, they preferred to go with the region of the South in the overall themes of the narrative, since 1996 was a re-awakening of the American South.  But it was either Celine Dion or Gloria Estafen at Closing that had the back-up of the choirs of the major black colleges of Atlanta.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

5 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

So now that Durban is unofficially out of the running for the 2028 and even 2032 Summer Olympics since they won't have that hosting a Commonwealth Games experience, it should make for everyone's predictions for those years more interesting. 

Well, South Africa had/has already made it clear well over a year ago, that the earliest that they would bid was for 2032 anyway. While this 2022 CWG's news certainly doesn't bode well for them, it was the South African government that wouldn't give Durban the financial guarantees that sunk them. I don't know if I would necessarily classify that aspect as with one where they're just simply not capable, bcuz they still have a lot of the key ingredients in place for an Olympics. So really, the only thing standing in the way of the South Africans are really the South African themselves, IMHO.

But whatever the South Africans reasons are, & they're now maybe just getting cold feet in hosting anything big now, 2028 should be easy, even without a double-award. And 2032, I still say could still go south of the equator to Melbourne (if no Durban), it could be ideal timing for the Aussies if 2024 & 2028 go where the early indicators are pointing to.

Durban has been put out of it's misery today by the Commonwealth Games Federation.

However the CGF does wish to work with South Africa in getting the Games onto the continent and don't rule out a 2026 hosting.

Blame, clearly, has been directed at the South African Government in not being forthcoming towards funding the event. Durban 2022 is also coming in for criticism for not having clarity, namely some premium events which had to be dropped from the program.

It's all so easy to have 20-20 vision in hindsight, but really, for them to have got this far probably says more about the desire and goodwill of so many for the games to come to Africa and Durban than any confidence that at best they may have barely made it across the line with a games that would have made Delhi look professional. But for all our wishing it would happen (and even until this morning, I still hoped a last minute reprieve may have been worked out), the writing was on the wall from the word go...

* First you had that bizarre campaign where Gideon Sam traipsed the length of the continent trying to drum up support for a bid from anywhere on his claim that 2022 were "reserved" for Africa. But no takers. Finally there came a hoped-for, half-expected, but pretty well lacklustre announcement from Durban that they're going for it.

* And then that was it, sweet f-all from Durban for the duration of the "campaign". The only actual campaigning (and it was pretty serious and effective)  that was done was by Edmonton (Gideon must have been sh!tting himself to see that) who were really the only one making any effort until provincial politics saw them drop out. After that, the Durban team only had to happily keep sitting on their arses and do nothing at all until they were named winners by default. I really think if Edmonton had stayed the distance, Durban would have got their rude shock much earlier and saved much of the angst.

* Having won it, they then continued to do sweet f-all as their established mode of operation. No organising committee, no nothing but a few headlines coming out revealing that the only action happening was a sh!t fight between the local government and Pretoria as to who was going to pay for it. And Pretoria never did seem behind a bid at all - from  even before the "bid" went official, it was clear the national government was dubious if not outright hostile to the notion. And who's to blame them? For all the desire so many people around the world and here for South Africa to host a Commies and an Olympics, you have to give the South Africa government credit that they've never been railroaded into it and, probably quite rightly, made clear they think it's an extravagance and they have other priorities to concentrate on.

* Then, when the CGF hit the "please explain" button in November, you had a panicked Durban hurriedly form some sort of delegation and "committee" and rush to London with some plan for a stripped-back games without the need to rely on Pretoria. They'd truly hit the iceberg by that stage, but we should have seen it coming well before.

I'm sure for many of us, it's a big disappointment. I'd hope 2026 is still a possibility, but I can't say confidence is high for that at all. And, for all anybody might do to sugarcoat it, it really puts the kibbosh on any hopes that South Africa might bring the Olympics to Africa finally in the near term.

And for all that this has nothing to do with the Olympics or the IOC, it can't but be another big negative for the Games' and the IOC's reputation that another major event has gone begging because of cost and lack of effective support.  It's another black eye for major international multi-sport extravaganzas.

I guess we wait and watch now to see who picks up the pieces. Liverpool's mayor seems keen, but the hard-heads here from the UK say that is easier said than done. I;d guess there's a lot of begging emails floating between CGF house in London and Justin Trudeau and the Toronto mayor's offices. Oh well, gives us something to talk about here. Sigh!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Great post.

The disconnect between SASCOC and the SA government has been witnessed before of course, with announcements of Olympic bids which were then quietly withdrawn. Circumstances created a perfect storm this time though with no rivals and a desire to give Africa a shot. So the climbdown happened as a host city rather than as a potential candidate.

That stadium deserved an event like the Commonwealths. So long....

Untitled_HDR16-900x599.jpg

Yeah, it's a pity about the Moses Madhiba. And I fugure it'll be getting a bit long in the tooth to do an event without some significant renovation/modernisation by the time its next chance comes around.

BTW - was there ever a logo? I can't even recall a bid logo from Durbs.